joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GFS replaces the 1031mb high over New York with a LP system...so obviously no cold to work with here for the 1/24 system...999mb LP off coast of NC though. Great, great track though. I'm not worried.

00z GFS replaces the 1031mb high over New York with a LP system...so obviously no cold to work with here for the 1/24 system...999mb LP off coast of NC though. Great, great track though. I'm not worried.

Per Bob Chill, the low in the lakes is good this time!! We are too fixated on that low! Most of the time when they are on the models , they don't verify, but I think this one we want to verify!?

Per Bob Chill, the low in the lakes is good this time!! We are too fixated on that low! Most of the time when they are on the models , they don't verify, but I think this one we want to verify!?

I wouldn't say any lakes low is good. High pressure is good. A lakes low associated with strong upper level low over the lakes isn't a dagger. The pattern the euro had was pretty good.

The 0z gfs has the closed h5 contour up near hudson so it's not apples to apples. Euro was a non worrisome lakes low. Gfs is a warm vacuum but still not a dagger because there was no early phase between the ss and ns.

The key to judging a lakes low is what is going on above it at h5.

We're going to get a lot of different looks on op runs for days. As long as we keep the southern stream vort in play we all have a shot. If that goes away, who gives a crap about a lakes low.

This has been happening all winter.  What exactly is the meat grinder and what needs to change to keep these systems from getting strung out?

Keep in mind that most locations wouldn't want a wound up system, either. A weak system traversing the N GOM (Miller A) with cold enough air to the north is usually the ticket based on 130+ years of old wx maps. Too strong/wound up usually means too warm for most of the SE/too far north. Many of the biggest and most widespread SE snows have come from weak/sliding lows that usually move ENE. That's almost always what I root for fwiw.

Say it Burger, say it- BOOM! We have been waiting all winter to hear it.

Lol not this run! It actually looks a lot like what happens when the Euro sniffs out a storm. You get some trailing energy that comes behind for a second shot of sorts. Too warm on the sfc...the great news is this is over a week away. The bad news is this is over a week away. 

Lol not this run! It actually looks a lot like what happens when the Euro sniffs out a storm. You get some trailing energy that comes behind for a second shot of sorts. Too warm on the sfc...the great news is this is over a week away. The bad news is this is over a week away. 

Tells me that there is going to be some wild swings on the the models shown for the next few days.  

Archived