• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

Classic snowstorm for W TN/NC/upstate SC and GA per 0z GFS for Jan 23.  I think this one could turn into more of a monster depending on how much energy get phased into the s/w.  It's a little washy on the energy over the arctic/polar jet with the weak low around the high pressure field.  Expect the HP to trend stronger as the seperation of the stream picked up on as we head closer.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic snowstorm for W TN/NC/upstate SC and GA per 0z GFS for Jan 23.  I think this one could turn into more of a monster depending on how much energy get phased into the s/w.  It's a little washy on the energy over the arctic/polar jet with the weak low around the high pressure field.  Expect the HP to trend stronger as the seperation of the stream picked up on as we head closer.

I hope not. It is pretty close to perfect for many as is modeled on the 0Z GFS. Weak lows usually are the big widespread SE US SN producers. Turn it into a monster and see it go too far north/be too warm for many.

I hope not. It is pretty close to perfect for many as is modeled on the 0Z GFS. Weak lows usually are the big widespread SE US SN producers. Turn it into a monster and see it go too far north/be too warm for many.

There is a kicker s/w on its heels per this run so that would keep the phasing in check.  I'd like to see more separation of the streams to allow for more confluence over the NE.  Surface temps are marginal with the muddy HP field verbatim. Getting a cutoff low would be good to see.

Watch the DOC come out with a 4th different solution.   :)

I'm going to put a bet on a big dog solution, possibly for the MA and NE as well.    Like old times.. Euro with the big phased storm and GFS with the no phase/out to sea solutions.

Folks,

It looks like we have a problem with the GFS upgrade. It appears to have a significant warm bias at two meters at least when there is steady precip., possibly even warmer than the Euro. The old GFS didn't have this problem. Dang. :(

I'd ignore the two meter temp.'s with regard to the 1/23 snowstorm. With 850's just below 0C, a cold high to the north, and steady sig. precip. that would be sig sticking SN and 2M temp.'s close to 32.     

That'd be par for the course this winter.

FINALLY get a potential big dog after the pain and agony of the first half of winter, only to have the perfect track, but produce only rain outside of the mountains.

If this becomes a mountain special, I'm chasing.

We'd be fine with that setup. Your area was a little too far north to get as much snow on this run in particular, though. :)

Folks,

It looks like we have a problem with the GFS upgrade. It appears to have a significant warm bias at two meters, possibly even warmer than the Euro. The old GFS didn't have this problem. Dang. :(

I'd ignore the two meter temp.'s with regard to the 1/23 snowstorm. With 850's just below 0C, a cold high to the north, and steady sig. precip. that would be sig sticking SN and 2M temp.'s close to 32.

I've heard from some guys in the Northeast that the Para GFS had a significant warm bias at 2m.

I'm going to put a bet on a big dog solution, possibly for the MA and NE as well.    Like old times.. Euro with the big phased storm and GFS with the no phase/out to sea solutions.

With all of this excitement, I'm betting on a disappointment. Seriously though, 00z GFS was a great run for WNC. It's too bad what's good for us is bad for those east of Triad (went through this disappointment many times before college).

Folks,

It looks like we have a problem with the GFS upgrade. It appears to have a significant warm bias at two meters at least when there is steady precip., possibly even warmer than the Euro. The old GFS didn't have this problem. Dang. :(

I'd ignore the two meter temp.'s with regard to the 1/23 snowstorm. With 850's just below 0C, a cold high to the north, and steady sig. precip. that would be sig sticking SN and 2M temp.'s close to 32.     

Yup. Someone posted this graphic a couple of weeks ago in old Patterns thread and, as y'all can see, it's a torch for those below Boone's elevation.

RgZoGHH.png

Bias or not, 0.2-0.4 degrees isn't gonna get us to a snowstorm.

Considering this is two years worth of data from thousands of runs with insane amount of calculations being done, the average of 0.2-0.5 above actual temperature after all of that is pretty significant IMO. This could mean differences by a couple of degrees, which is huge while looking at winter storms in this region. Just something to keep in mind until GFS get another major update down the road.

Archived