joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4, 2015 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's just the dry air? We know that's about to change.

No, I mean near BGM.  This is the initial WAA burst with the snow good growth. But, the WAA is heading into an area of deeper cold (think a taller dome at the surface). So, the models showing this to keep developing should be right.

Virga storm raging right now with moderate snow at 4kft and flurries falling under 1,500ft. Pretty impressive view of the mountains with thick snowfall obscuring the high terrain but no visibility limitations in the lowest 1000ft.

That's what I miss about being up at the cabin. I've got Moosalauke to my left, Tecumseh straight ahead and Sandwich mountain to my right, all at about 4k feet, and you can usually "see" the snow. But here in Lowell, I've got nothing. Actually, I thought about taking my drone up to about 2k' to see if there is any flakes at that elevation, but I've never really flown it below freezing. 27.4/12 and virga here in Lowell

Was in Bethlehem with my son at 1:30 and he said "Dada snow" so I look and see a flurry...within ten seconds it was a wall of white and the ground was coated with ahlf inch in 10 minutes... Meanwhile back at Winsted, its about 1/2 mile visibility and a coating... Hopefully that warm upeer layer holds off long enough for my 4" to verify

Was in Bethlehem with my son at 1:30 and he said "Dada snow" so I look and see a flurry...within ten seconds it was a wall of white and the ground was coated with ahlf inch in 10 minutes... Meanwhile back at Winsted, its about 1/2 mile visibility and a coating... Hopefully that warm upeer layer holds off long enough for my 4" to verify

3"/hr? Uh

I was driving through Bethlehem exact same time,, coming down 61. Nice initial burst.

Archived