joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4, 2015 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puking snow here atm, with some bigger flakes mixing in.

SLeet line isn't too far west of you...so some large aggregates mixing in...but the sleet line hasn't been moving much the last hour, so you might get another hour or so out of this if lucky...but it could also just suddenly flip at any point...thats how close these can be.

Puking snow here atm, with some bigger flakes mixing in.

Nice. That ZDR loop that Will posted shows that the warm air aloft is having trouble getting over the higher terrain East of the Quabbin. I'm just on the other side and went over to sleet an hour ago. Feels like being on the west side of the Taconics lol. But without the CAA snow streamers :(

SLeet line isn't too far west of you...so some large aggregates mixing in...but the sleet line hasn't been moving much the last hour, so you might get another hour or so out of this if lucky...but it could also just suddenly flip at any point...thats how close these can be.

It's cool watching the radar dance around, but even as I type I can here pingers. Estimating 1" on the deck rail.

25.0/21

I have observed a transition from fluffy dendrites, to that granular, "sand" type of snow...a la 12/13/07 traffic debacle.

Probably indicative of some warming in the snow growth zone.

Yep...and the next stage will be going from baking powder to the big aggregates which is happening in ORH county as the warm layer gets fought off.

Archived