• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/20 Pre Grinch Mood Snows

40/70 Benchmark

I thought I remembered it calming down in late February / early March but nevertheless it was an epic season, I remember where I lived in Ellington I got like 25 in one storm and then like 13 a few days later

For me anyway, it pretty much ended on the ground hogs day storm, but eastern MA and other CNE area got good hits well into march. I remember a couple of advisdory events, but the month of January that year was epic in Waterbury. The inverted trough event gave us like 14" that day, plus there was a squall event that put down like 4" in 15 minutes in that month....all that said, I don't think we will every see another 95-96 winter...that was great for us here. There have been some good ones since, but that season takes the cake, it snowed like every three days it seemed, with good amounts.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

basically on the parallel the storm develops too late and the high pressure system is well off to the northeast and there's also the downstream low over the Great Lakes that is flooding the region with a warm air aloft and the 850 is torched all the way up to PF country even though the coastal low is in a somewhat favorable position

Everything I've seen and read from the Met's perspective tells me that the 21-22nd event is a non factor and that xmas storm is gonna cut...Hopefully I get my birthday storm on the 3rd...the accuweather 30 day wish cast has plenty of cold and snow events in January, lets hope it pans out...just think 2010-2011, we were jumping into tubs with toasters until the boxing day event, then a month later roofs were collapsing under 40" of snow...and it didn't stop until late march

I remember it 2010-2011 stopping right after the first week of Feb...It ran out of gas and just died!!  But January 2011 was an Epic run.

GFS looks like almost a prolonged period of weenie snow with weak onshore flow and saturated below 800mb. But likely cold enough to avoid FZDZ. But that certainly can't be ruled out either in that setup.

that is where your understanding of soundings and how to interpret them really helps you. That is the one thing I have never learned or been able to completely grasp because I've never taken an actual weather class outside of high school or just learning on the Internet and reading books. Just looking at the surface maps looked mainly dry

that is where your understanding of soundings and how to interpret them really helps you. That is the one thing I have never learned or been able to completely grasp because I've never taken an actual weather class. Just looking at the surface maps looked mainly dry

Sites like twisterdata and weather.cod allow you to look at soundings. Never be afraid to post one and ask questions. 

Funny thing to think about...if this storm is modeled as well as the Feb 2013 blizzard, then the Euro should just now be picking up on a major storm outcome, and the GFS will have another 2.5 days to go before it picks up on something resembling the final solution.

No, it's not going to happen this time. But I still find it interesting how we forget how unreliable our mid-range NWP is.

I remember it 2010-2011 stopping right after the first week of Feb...It ran out of gas and just died!!  But January 2011 was an Epic run.

Correct....there was like an event early Feb 2011 and then that was it.....maybe up in Winsted they had a couple more events in Feb but down in the CT River Valley it was all done after that first event......epic run.....>30" snow pack at the highest IMBY.....

Correct....there was like an event early Feb 2011 and then that was it.....maybe up in Winsted they had a couple more events in Feb but down in the CT River Valley it was all done after that first event......epic run.....>30" snow pack at the highest IMBY.....

Maybe I am thinkging of another year where it continued into late March else where but for CT, it was basically over after Ground hog day. Come to think of it, was it 2012-2013? After the Blizzard, Eastern MA and CNE got slammed a couple more times but CT didn't? My memory is going as I get older....Also, I was in Waterbury then, last winter was my first in Winsted. so glad I got out of that rat hole...

OK has Anyone ever seen what happens in the 180H area of the 18z GFS??  A Low goes Well west of us and then Explodes over Buffalo down into the 960's and even the though the precip. is Past us it Re-expands back down south as snow?  Strangest thing I may have seen on a model that close.  As the storm comes in, that 850 0C line has Well north of Toronto above freezing and Northern FL below it as it loops up.  

There's a nice signal for east flow riding up over low level cold dome. There's going to be periods of steady light snow over the interior that will accumulate some

Kind of a meh signal though. The cold erodes thanks to the second low coming up. Still could accumulate a little bit I suppose.

Archived