wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
12/20 Pre Grinch Mood Snows

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro looks pretty nice...it's cold too for BOS area. Both sfc and that 850-900mb zone. That will help with some dendritic production. Some could def squeeze out a couple inches if lucky.

Like I said in the banter thread, BOS jackpot since I'm going back to CT on Saturday lock it up  :axe:

In all seriousness, it's an IVT, hard to pin down where they choose to reward. BOS/SEMA looks like the winners right now, but I think anyone in SNE is in the game for some flakes given the trend towards a cooler setup overall and the various spread on guidance(Specifically the RGEM/GGEM which both favor areas west into CT, EURO also liked the south coast for flakes it looked like). Definitely liking the cooling trend that's in place, makes it somewhat less of a rates situation and gives more a chance to see accumulating snows on the ground. 

Like I said in the banter thread, BOS jackpot since I'm going back to CT on Saturday lock it up  :axe:

In all seriousness, it's an IVT, hard to pin down where they choose to reward. BOS/SEMA looks like the winners right now, but I think anyone in SNE is in the game for some flakes given the trend towards a cooler setup overall and the various spread on guidance(Specifically the RGEM/GGEM which both favor areas west into CT, EURO also liked the south coast for flakes it looked like). Definitely liking the cooling trend that's in place, makes it somewhat less of a rates situation and gives more a chance to see accumulating snows on the ground.

The inverted trough is def what could bust things a bit in CT if it ends up that far W...for E MA though there will be some general light snow anyway I think before the IVT really sets up more defined. You have this weak area of upper divergence over a easterly flow at 900-950mb off the Atlantic which should produce some decent mood snows...then as the "event" progresses, we will see where a more defined IVT sets up for the potential for a couple inches..if it sets up at all like that.

I'm thinking underperformer here. Model soundings back this way don't look very impressive - lacking low level moisture and when looking at mass fields you don't see a whole lot of boundary layer convergence back this way. Weenie flakes for sure but I doubt measurable here in CT. 

I'm thinking underperformer here. Model soundings back this way don't look very impressive - lacking low level moisture and when looking at mass fields you don't see a whole lot of boundary layer convergence back this way. Weenie flakes for sure but I doubt measurable here in CT. 

Nam Nam Hi RES and RGEM look pretty good, Euro not bad, what model is showing you these soundings?

The inverted trough is def what could bust things a bit in CT if it ends up that far W...for E MA though there will be some general light snow anyway I think before the IVT really sets up more defined. You have this weak area of upper divergence over a easterly flow at 900-950mb off the Atlantic which should produce some decent mood snows...then as the "event" progresses, we will see where a more defined IVT sets up for the potential for a couple inches..if it sets up at all like that.

Agreed completely.

BOX

.SHORT TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

HIGH PRES BUILDS ACROSS N MAINE AND THE MARITIMES WITH LOW LEVEL

FLOW VEERING TO THE E WHILE SFC WINDS MOSTLY NE. THIS WILL RESULT

IN LOW CLOUDS EXPANDING WEST ACROSS SNE DURING SAT AS LOW LEVEL

MOISTURE INCREASES. NOT REALLY LOOKING AT A PURE OCEAN EFFECT

SITUATION AS INSTABILITY IS MARGINAL. HOWEVER...HI-RES GUIDANCE

PICKING UP ON A DEVELOPING COASTAL FRONT ACROSS CAPE COD VICINITY

WITH E WINDS TO THE E OF THE BOUNDARY AND N/NE WINDS TO THE WEST.

LOW LEVEL FORCING COMBINED WITH DEEPENING MOISTURE AS MID LEVEL

SHORTWAVE MOVES IN FROM THE WEST WILL RESULT IN RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS

EXPANDING WEST FROM CAPE COD INTO EASTERN HALF NEW ENG. WHILE SOME

LIGHT PRECIP IS POSSIBLE IN THE MORNING...ESPECIALLY CAPE

COD...BULK OF PRECIP OCCURS LATER SAT INTO SAT NIGHT ASSOCD WITH

DEEPER MOISTURE AND LOW LEVEL LIFT FROM THE COASTAL FRONT/INVERTED

TROF.

PTYPE/SNOW ACCUM...

LOOKING AT MOSTLY RAIN FOR CAPE/ISLANDS AND POSSIBLY INTO SE

COASTAL PLYMOUTH COUNTY WHERE E WINDS WILL SUFFICIENTLY WARM THE

BOUNDARY LAYER KEEPING TEMPS IN THE MID/UPPER 30S. HOWEVER...JUST

INLAND AND NORTH FROM THE IMMEDIATE SE COAST AND WEST OF THE

COASTAL FRONT WHERE WINDS ARE FORECAST TO BE MORE

NORTHERLY...EXPECT MOSTLY SNOW ALTHOUGH THERE COULD BE A MIX AT

THE START. FREEZING DRIZZLE IS NOT LIKELY AS THE COLUMN MOISTENS

LATE SAT INTO SAT NIGHT WITH TEMPS -10C IN THE MOIST LAYER WHICH

IS COLD ENOUGH FOR ICE CRYSTAL PRODUCTION.

NAM IS PICKING UP ON SOME ENHANCEMENT IN N PLYMOUTH COUNTY INTO

NORFOLK COUNTY WITH QPF UP TO A THIRD OF AN INCH. THIS LIKELY

ASSOCD WITH A 20-25 KT E/NE LOW LEVEL JET THAT THE NAM IS

FORECASTING. HOWEVER...THIS MIGHT BE OVERDONE AS HI-RES WRF QPF

IS LESS AND OTHER MODELS ARE WEAKER WITH THE LOW LEVEL NE FLOW.

DONT WANT TO COMPLETELY IGNORE THE NAM AS IT SOMETIMES CAN PICK

UP ON HEAVIER MESOSCALE PRECIP IN THESE SITUATIONS SO USED A

BLEND OF NAM/GFS QPF TO TEMPER NAM OUTPUT. MAINLY LOOKING AT A

COATING TO AN INCH FOR EASTERN NEW ENG...HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS E

MA AWAY FROM THE IMMEDIATE COAST. LOCALIZED AMOUNTS UP TO 2 INCHES

POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY JUST SW OF BOSTON.

This has me piqued. Booked a room for myself and the fella at the Lenox Hotel downtown for tomorrow night, celebrating our 1 year.

Room has a working fireplace. Some snow falling outside would really make things perfect.

Congrats on the year and that certainly would be nice. Snow is useful for many things despite the Grinches who claim otherwise.

Yeah and over to eastern Norfolk County...could be a Scooter jackpot. That's almost advisory snows there. :lol:

I haven't looked at models until now when Harvey L said 1-2" for BOS, I was shocked. Models seem to like BOS down to the rt 3 corridor. I'd sorta want to be a little further inland than right at the coast. Probably minimal accums up at Andover at my apartment I'm thinking. I'll be in Southie this weekend at least.

Archived