wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
12/20 Pre Grinch Mood Snows

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z NAM continues to look better for some mood snows and even some 1"+ accumulations in spots for SNE. It even gets 900-950mb going at about 15 knots for a time from the east which would push some of this stuff inland..esp ORH hills and east. 850-900mb gets into the -6C to -7C range which is plenty cold enough for dendrites with that Atlantic source region. This particular run really likes interior SE MA.

Hopefully it continues to look decent as we get closer...sometimes these can fizzle, or sometimes they can get better. But Sat night and Sun could have some good mood snows if it works out.

It's got a decent inv trough look with 20kts out of the NE moving into the area converging with light north winds. But, then it has E-SE winds aloft which probably would advect the moisture to the ORH hills like Will said.

RGEM only goes to 48, but it looks pretty solid too on the last frame. Good little upper level weakness right over the south coast with a weak inverted trough aimed right at E MA/RI.

I'm not so sure how much of that moisture will get westward into the Connecticut River Valley and points west the set up does seem to favor eastern New England the most and then the upslope regions of northeastern Connecticut and Worcester County. There is high pressure modeled to be just to our southwest which could put a cap on the westward progression of things.

I like the look for some. It's even borderline 2-3 for me, but perhaps just west. It should spread west as well.

Models overnight definitely had an interior E/SE MA fetish overnight. Only because right on the shore, the snow might be fighting borderline temps.

Models overnight definitely had an interior E/SE MA fetish overnight. Only because right on the shore, the snow might be fighting borderline temps.

I'll be fine if winds are more north. It's one of those things where once winds go NE, you'll be steady at like 15kts and temps go to 37 or something like that. But I agree, could be interior e/se ma. 

I'll be fine if winds are more north. It's one of those things where once winds go NE, you'll be steady at like 15kts and temps go to 37 or something like that. But I agree, could be interior e/se ma. 

Yeah I wasn't implying rain there...but it might be a case where right on the shore it's like 32-33 and 27-28F back 5-10 miles west. The south shore down by PYM are the ones who might actually fight RA-...otherwise this might be a great setup for them.

Yeah I wasn't implying rain there...but it might be a case where right on the shore it's like 32-33 and 27-28F back 5-10 miles west. The south shore down by PYM are the ones who might actually fight RA-...otherwise this might be a great setup for them.

Oh I knew what you meant. I was just doing a theoretical example. That event on the 9th where I got a half inch was a nice example of that. In any case, these are fickle so I don't get too excited for them, especially given my locale, but could work out further west.

actually like my location for this " event ". Temps look to be okay. These seem so fickle, thats why I am hesitant we see much more than mood flakes. However, the potential seems to be there for a few inches if it works out right. Would be nice to get on the board for this month, and add a festive appeal to the landscape.

Maybe this will be more substantial than the slop i have received so far this year.

BOX

SATURDAY...

INTERESTING SETUP. WEAK INVERTED TROUGH DEVELOPS ACROSS THE REGION.
NORTHEAST SURFACE WINDS COMBINED WITH WINDS JUST OFF THE DECK
TURNING EAST SOUTHEAST WILL MOISTEN UP THE ATMOSPHERE ACROSS THE
SOUTHEAST NEW ENGLAND COAST. 850 TEMPS AROUND -6C SHOULD BE COLD
ENOUGH FOR ICE NUCLEATION...ESPECIALLY GIVEN EASTERLY FLOW BRINGING
SALT PARTICLES IN OFF THE OCEAN. THEREFORE...NOT TOO CONCERNED
ABOUT FREEZING DRIZZLE AT THIS TIME BUT THINK WILL BE DEALING WITH
SNOW SHOWERS.

LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS SHOULD AFFECT FAR SOUTHEAST MA...ESPECIALLY
PLYMOUTH COUNTY WHERE PATTERN RECOGNITION WARRANTS LIKELY POPS. AS
THE AFTERNOON WEARS ON WE MAY SEE THESE LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS DEVELOP
ACROSS CAPE ANN AND PERHAPS EVEN FURTHER INTO EASTERN MA BY EARLY
EVENING. ENOUGH MILD AIR SHOULD COME IN OFF THE OCEAN TO RESULT IN