joxey
Dec 6-7 Storm Discussion/Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whereas to Kevin it would be;

You don't have that much. You are lying

LOL, unfortunately it could never be stated in that sort of straightforward manner; there would have to be pages and pages of dancing around the truth, massaging fragile egos, listening to tales of how friends stab you in the back, quotes of how "these are the things that are not forgotten", etc., etc., when in reality none of it's taken seriously anyway because it's all some sort of big internet forum game.

But yes, aside from the massive differences in geographical location, PF is a semi-professional forecaster who typically leans conservatively in forecasting and snow reporting, and comes across as very level-headed, knowledgeable, and trustworthy.

The DIT persona comes across as the court jester of the forum, typically adding one-liner responses or re-tweets that don't give the impression that much thought was put into them, while focusing on hype, unnecessary and unwanted storm damage, and incessantly throwing out numbers at the top end snowfall forecasts that have to be tempered back to reality by the meteorologists.

Personally, I think Kevin's snowfall measurements are probably right on, but it's hard to know exactly what's going on and take things at face value with the DIT in the way.

LOL, unfortunately it could never be stated in that sort of straightforward manner; there would have to be pages and pages of dancing around the truth, massaging fragile egos, listening to tales of how friends stab you in the back, quotes of how "these are the things that are not forgotten", etc., etc., when in reality none of it's taken seriously anyway because it's all some sort of big internet forum game.

But yes, aside from the massive differences in geographical location, PF is a semi-professional forecaster who typically leans conservatively in forecasting and snow reporting, and comes across as very level-headed, knowledgeable, and trustworthy.

The DIT persona comes across as the court jester of the forum, typically adding one-liner responses or re-tweets that don't give the impression that much thought was put into them, while focusing on hype, unnecessary and unwanted storm damage, and incessantly throwing out numbers at the top end snowfall forecasts that have to be tempered back to reality by the meteorologists.

Personally, I think Kevin's snowfall measurements are probably right on, but it's hard to know exactly what's going on and take things at face value with the DIT in the way.

Man in Tolland, CT..bludgeoned to death with ski poles by an expert skier and his son   :cry:  :cry:

Man in Tolland, CT..bludgeoned to death with ski poles by an expert skier and his son   :cry:  :cry:

LOL, something more along the lines of a computer virus for the DIT would be the right tack… the actual Kevin seems like a nice guy and a great dad, so efforts to minimize collateral damage should be taken to avoid unwanted tragedy.

I'm impressed that we saw pretty much no mix...but we were also further north from the best QPF (darn that QPF).  Close to 2" of like sand consistency snow, so I bet there's a surprising amount of SWE, maybe as much as 1/4". 

Flakes have gotten more dendrite like though over the past 2 hours.

Those guys further east definitely had some better WAA associated lift that went east of this area before it made it up this far north.  Also probably a little better thermal gradient over that way between the CAD and warming aloft to juice the atmosphere a bit.

nice band from SR over down toward N. Conway just to the NW of that closed 925 contour near Portland maine on SPC map.

Aunt says about 10" new at Attitash at noon and snowing "like crazy"

I don't know about 10, but definitely at least 6. Interesting day though - left Bartlett this morning at 28F and heavy snow, anout 5" on the ground, wanted to ski Bretton Woods... got there, and it was a slushy inch with temp of 34! Is this a CAD situation? I can't imagine how BW can get so much less snow than Bartlett, 1000 ft lower...

Ended up skiing Attitash instead.

nice band from SR over down toward N. Conway just to the NW of that closed 925 contour near Portland maine on SPC map.

Aunt says about 10" new at Attitash at noon and snowing "like crazy"

Yeah they are getting ripped there.

The snow line is visible with the bright banding

Dec6_1230pm_Radar.gif

I don't know about 10, but definitely at least 6. Interesting day though - left Bartlett this morning at 28F and heavy snow, anout 5" on the ground, wanted to ski Bretton Woods... got there, and it was a slushy inch with temp of 34! Is this a CAD situation? I can't imagine how BW can get so much less snow than Bartlett, 1000 ft lower...

Gray Noaa AFD says YES  CAD situation.

My Aunt is at Attitash and said there was 10" inches when she got off the lift near 3K....thou that is def. not "official" anything. She could be measuring who knows what.

looking at radar, I bet anything over 1k in Bartlett/Jackson has well over 8" by now.

Bretton Woods might be getting downsloped on northeast or ENE flow earlier...but yeah that seems a bit extreme for the difference. But in a marginal setup at those elevation, i could see it being the difference.

Bretton Woods might be getting downsloped on northeast or ENE flow earlier...but yeah that seems a bit extreme for the difference. But in a marginal setup at those elevation, i could see it being the difference.

Same thing happened in the Greens this morning albeit to a lesser effect.... 1.0" at 750ft at the Stowe CoCoRAHS station and 0.1" at the base of Smugglers Notch at 1,100ft on the west side of the Spine.

That light blocked east flow can really do weird things...likewise a blocked NW flow would pound Bretton Woods and be much less at Attitash.

Same thing happened in the Greens this morning albeit to a lesser effect.... 1.0" at 750ft at the Stowe CoCoRAHS station and 0.1" at the base of Smugglers Notch at 1,100ft on the west side of the Spine.

That light blocked east flow can really do weird things...likewise a blocked NW flow would pound Bretton Woods and be much less at Attitash.

Makes sense - thank you all. Eventually I'll learn what mountain is better under what weather pattern... for now, had to go to BW to take care of some stuff anyways and driving through the notch is always fun. :)

Archived