• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 6-7 Storm Discussion/Observations

Baroclinic Zone

While we wait on the Dec 9-10 threat we have this system to get through.  Winter Weather Advisories are up for the northern areas of New England with a mixed bag of snow/sleet/freezing rain expected there and a gully-washer expected in southern areas of New England.  Some places could see over 1" of rain.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
335 AM EST FRI DEC 5 2014

...WINTRY WEATHER RETURNS FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY...

.AS LOW PRESSURE CROSSES THROUGH SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AND INTO THE
GULF OF MAINE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY... PRECIPITATION WILL
SPREAD INTO NEW HAMPSHIRE AND MAINE. PRECIPITATION WILL START OUT
AS SNOW BUT AS WARM AIR BEGINS MOVING IN ABOVE THE SURFACE...
EXPECT PRECIPITATION TO CHANGE TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BY
SATURDAY MORNING.

COLD AIR DAMMING ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE MOUNTAINS WILL MAINTAIN
COLD SURFACE TEMPERATURES ACROSS EASTERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND
INTERIOR WESTERN MAINE THROUGH THE MORNING AND POSSIBLY INTO THE
AFTERNOON. MEANWHILE... A COASTAL FRONT WILL MEANDER NEAR THE
COASTLINE AND KEEP AREAS NEAR THE COAST JUST ABOVE FREEZING
ESPECIALLY NEAR THE MIDCOAST OF MAINE.

IN SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE TEMPERATURES WILL BE GRADUALLY WARMING
THROUGH THE MORNING AND WILL ALLOW PRECIPITATION TO CHANGE TO
RAIN. FURTHER TO THE NORTH... PRECIPITATION MAY STAY ALL SNOW IN
THE MOUNTAINS WITH ACCUMULATIONS AS HIGH AS 6 INCHES.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS OF COLD
WEATHER... GROUND TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR FREEZING EVEN AS
SURFACE TEMPERATURES MAY WARM A FEW DEGREES ABOVE FREEZING. AS A
RESULT... RAIN MAY STILL FREEZE ON ROAD SURFACES EVEN FOR A TIME
AFTER THE AIR TEMPERATURE RISES ABOVE FREEZING.

NHZ005-007-008-011>013-015-051700-
/O.NEW.KGYX.WW.Y.0027.141206T0200Z-141206T1400Z/
SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-CHESHIRE NH-
EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH NH-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-
WESTERN AND CENTRAL HILLSBOROUGH NH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LEBANON...HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...
CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...CHARLESTOWN...CONCORD...HOOKSETT...
JAFFREY...KEENE...MANCHESTER...NASHUA...SALEM...DERRY...EXETER...
PETERBOROUGH...WEARE
335 AM EST FRI DEC 5 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO
9 AM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN
EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM EST SATURDAY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW... SLEET... AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF UP TO 1 INCH...ALONG WITH
UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN AS SNOW LATE FRIDAY NIGHT AND
TRANSITION TO SLEET... THEN FREEZING RAIN BY SATURDAY MORNING.
TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO RISE ABOVE FREEZING SATURDAY
MORNING WITH PRECIPITATION CHANGING TO RAIN.

* IMPACTS...FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE ICE TO FORM ON EXPOSED
SURFACES INCLUDING ROADS. COLD TEMPERATURES IN ADVANCE OF THE
PRECIPITATION WILL MAKE ICE ACCRETION ON ROADWAYS MORE
EFFICIENT. DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL BE VERY SLICK SATURDAY
MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE 20S RISING INTO THE LOW TO MID 30S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&

$

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT 355 AM EST FRI DEC 5 2014 VTZ011-012-019-052100- /O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0020.141206T0000Z-141207T0500Z/ WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD... WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON 355 AM EST FRI DEC 5 2014 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST SATURDAY NIGHT... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WINTRY MIXED PRECIPITATION...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST SATURDAY NIGHT. * LOCATIONS...RUTLAND AND WINDSOR COUNTIES IN VERMONT. * HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN. * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES OF WET SNOW...ALONG WITH UP TO ONE-TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE. * MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO A HALF INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY TONIGHT. * TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN EARLY TONIGHT TRANSITIONING TO A WINTRY MIX OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY. AREAS OF RAIN WILL CHANGE BACK TO SNOW SATURDAY NIGHT. * IMPACTS...UNTREATED ROADS AND SIDEWALKS WILL BECOME SLIPPERY PRODUCING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. * WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH. * TEMPERATURES...LOWS TONIGHT IN THE MID 20S. HIGHS SATURDAY IN THE MID 30S. * VISIBILITIES...AT OR BELOW ONE MILE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER SITUATION. && $$

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GYX maps both look pretty solid to me really. Driving up to SR tomorrow morning leaving BOS at 6, skiing, and then going to my friends cabin in NH, hopefully it isn't too bad on the roads. How is Maine usually with keeping stuff clean during an event?

They do an awesome job usually

And the usual best advice? Don't drive like an azz in ice and snow.

Absolutely. I'm not driving thankfully(I absolutely hate driving in wintry precip and try to avoid it as much as possible), but my friend is from NVT so he's got good experience in snow and he's got 4wd so we should be all set. 

12z GFS seems almost identical to the 6z, perhaps a hair warmer. Seems like we've got a pretty good consensus on modeling really that basically verifies the GYX maps nicely.

And the usual best advice? Don't drive like an azz in ice and snow.

People feel like king kong with 4 wheel drive but icy roads don't give two ****z, You just end up further in the woods with 4 wheel drive because of the higher rates of speed that some seem to think they can acheive

Absolutely. I'm not driving thankfully(I absolutely hate driving in wintry precip and try to avoid it as much as possible), but my friend is from NVT so he's got good experience in snow and he's got 4wd so we should be all set. 

12z GFS seems almost identical to the 6z, perhaps a hair warmer. Seems like we've got a pretty good consensus on modeling really that basically verifies the GYX maps nicely.

I love driving in winter wx. I just go slow and in the right lane usually. Wave at the azzholes flying by you. You'll see them in the median a few miles up the road.

I love driving in winter wx. I just go slow and in the right lane usually. Wave at the azzholes flying by you. You'll see them in the median a few miles up the road.

LOL so true.

Yup, I have seen some bad ones over the years traveling the roads up here in the winter time, Real bad

Yeah when you're up in Lake Placid and it's snowing heavily, you know exactly who the tourists are and who is a local by how they handle snow on the roads.

GYX maps both look pretty solid to me really. Driving up to SR tomorrow morning leaving BOS at 6, skiing, and then going to my friends cabin in NH, hopefully it isn't too bad on the roads. How is Maine usually with keeping stuff clean during an event?

The plows go by frequently so snow buildup usually isn't an issue unless it's a mega-dump.  On most primary roads they've switched from sand to liquid salt, very good for those driving after the storm is over because (unless it's really cold) it gets the frozen stuff off the pavement in short order.  However, while the snow is falling, I find the roads more slimy/slippery than when sand is used.

That said, in +SN everyone but the occasional true idiot slows considerably.  It's often more dangerous in a lighter/smaller event because lots of people equate light snow with "okay to go".

The plows go by frequently so snow buildup usually isn't an issue unless it's a mega-dump.  On most primary roads they've switched from sand to liquid salt, very good for those driving after the storm is over because (unless it's really cold) it gets the frozen stuff off the pavement in short order.  However, while the snow is falling, I find the roads more slimy/slippery than when sand is used.

That said, in +SN everyone but the occasional true idiot slows considerably.  It's often more dangerous in a lighter/smaller event because lots of people equate light snow with "okay to go".

And that is when black ice becomes more problematic at the onset of the precip, Tomorrows system is a great candidate for it as we had lows in the single numbers overnight

Dews remain in the single numbers thru central Maine, just like 3 days ago.  GYX making us wait a bit for the afternoon update, also like last Tuesday - marginal conditions going into a possibly significant impact event must cause a bit of heartburn for forecasters.

Edit:  GYX snowfall map is the same one posted this morning.  However, their 6-hr tracking tool now dumps 7" at Conway and 5"+ in the W.Maine foothills, a nice bump from earlier.

Archived