joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's a strange evolution. Low heads up the CT river BDL-Springfield then cuts NE to CON and 50 miles north of the southern end of the MA/NH border, then loops over KLEW and tracks ESE after that. Most get some sort of back end snow(Assuming you don't take it's surface temp verbatim, which you shouldn't because it sucks with temps and has a really bad warm bias. Light amounts mostly) by hour 114. Will post maps when ones I can share are out.

(OT, but can I post non-ECMWF WxBell maps? It's OK on WxBell's end, IDK what that means for here).

UKMET 72 hrs closed 500 low centered at RDU, 998 low Delaware, 96 hours closed 500 low Toms River, NJ, 998 low Tom's River.  120 hours closed 500 low Boston, 1000 low Boston.

I'm seeing all those pushed back 24 hours, quite possibly my computer being strange again though. Here's hours 72-144, let me know which is correct.

post-8652-0-06189200-1417841985_thumb.gi

post-8652-0-47140400-1417841984_thumb.gi

post-8652-0-91812500-1417841983_thumb.gi

post-8652-0-31367100-1417841983_thumb.gi

I can't recall a storm like this that sort of developed from a remnant boundary to our south and then back NW after being forced south.

what a strange storm. Euro 0z run was Interesting the fact that it stalls like that. If anything it's not a bad spot to stall for some CCB, even for NYC! But what if we end up getting a benchmark stall we could get a lot more wintry. For now it looks like rain and heavy at that maybe some wrap around moisture which I never really like (according to Upton we should get some wrap around snow showers tomorrow night but I never believe in that in this part of the region, maybe in the Midwest) but CCB could drop some good snows in this part of the region when storms stall. Let's see if the storm could really just stall for a bit and strengthen there, and that's how we'll cool all layers resulting CCB!

One of these years we'll get a storm to do a nice benchmark loop... not this one though unfortunately.

yeah I forget which one we had not too long ago. But it was great tracking it. Still type interested for this system my main hype is almost gone though. Imagine the models just start settling for a benchmark stall, tomorrow 12z runs would be interesting (usually if models about to start changing their track it would be 60-72hrs, but not expecting much but winter is going to be long and I'm ready to track all of potentials, but sometimes I just think of all the sleepless nights over this and I start sweating. Eventually, I realize it's all worth it at the end, especially when we end up getting a full blown blizzard! Good night everyone!

Too bad it's not all snow.  Regardless, nice long-duration system..

Monday Night: Snow likely. Patchy fog. Not as cool. Near steady temperature in the mid 20s. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Tuesday: Rain and snow. Not as cool with highs in the upper 30s. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Tuesday Night: Rain likely with a chance of snow. Lows around 30. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s.

Wednesday Night Through Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows in the lower 20s. Highs in the lower 30s.

Yeah though Saratoga might have issues with rain ..having no elevation, for awhile....  Out here elevated 25 miles west of ALB I feel pretty good now with the Euro track, but obviously very close. 700, 850 and 925 temps never get >0C here on the six hour panels anyway.

The precip comes in with a vengeance in the 84-90 hr time frame and dynamics alone I would think favor a big snow thump. Then warmer air pollutes some and the best CCB also shifts into Central NY for awhile. Then our low goes through several lives and there is more backside snow.

Now if it gets crazier and try to track he low inland and  west of NYC then it's gonna be a lot less favorable.

Saratoga Springs, ftw.   All of us in SNE, ftl.

Archived