• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

Could be E slope delight if we end up with that deep layer easterly flow. Where 800 feet elevation on easterly facing slopes are plastured and 800 feet on westerly facing slopes are struggling...it can be pretty notable when you have the deep layer east flow in marginal setups.

But that type of detail is going to be for something inside of 3 days once we get a better handle on the evolution...I'm still not convinced that the BL wedge over the interior is going to give out as easy as models want it to.

Yeah that would be good here, lol.  Reminds me of the April 27-28, 2010 storm which was strongly a NW flow event up here...700ft on the west slope got like 18-24" at 30-32F, while 700ft in Stowe slopped their way to 7-8" being like 33-34F.

Always fascinating how that stuff works in a marginal airmass, that extra 1C of upslope cooling can get you another like 1,000ft of snow level in heavy precip.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give you props Ginxy...you are fully into this all the while knowing your area may not stand a good chance at significant snow.  You can tell you are amped even for the chance of VT/NH/ME to get snow, and keeping your eye out for an improvement at home.  An equal opportunity weenie.  Definitely the least IMBY one of us on here.

what can I say I love the weather especially when its progged crazy. I know when I have a shot and when its a foregone conclusion but damn I do love to read yours and everyone's reports and pics from a good ole fashioned butt whipping Nor'easter, now with some extra time off I can travel more and imbibe in some weenie snows too.

Could be E slope delight if we end up with that deep layer easterly flow. Where 800 feet elevation on easterly facing slopes are plastured and 800 feet on westerly facing slopes are struggling...it can be pretty notable when you have the deep layer east flow in marginal setups.

But that type of detail is going to be for something inside of 3 days once we get a better handle on the evolution...I'm still not convinced that the BL wedge over the interior is going to give out as easy as models want it to.

That's pretty much what happened in 92. I still remember roaring winds in Vernon and when it would be heavy it would snow..and when it lightened up it went to rain or a mix. That was the storm where i told myself I would live in the "hills" when life allowed

That's pretty much what happened in 92. I still remember roaring winds in Vernon and when it would be heavy it would snow..and when it lightened up it went to rain or a mix. That was the storm where i told myself I would live in the "hills" when life allowed

That increase of 9" a season is life changing.

What was pretty amazing in that storm was the hills were getting smoked with blizzard conditions wind included but the downslope valleys it was just a breezy day while the coasts was getting pummeled, not until the winds switched Northerly did the valleys get good winds. It did eventually snow on the coast . I took my kids sledding in GON at Washington Park hills.

That's pretty much what happened in 92. I still remember roaring winds in Vernon and when it would be heavy it would snow..and when it lightened up it went to rain or a mix. That was the storm where i told myself I would live

in the "hills" when life allowed

yes this Connecticut River Valley area can be very frustrating at times in marginal situations and with strong easterly flows. what was the storm when Florida Massachusetts got like 48 inches but Springfield where I lived only got 4 or 5 and I remember literally looking up in the sky and could see it was snowing like crazy only a few hundred feet higher for hours?

What was pretty amazing in that storm was the hills were getting smoked with blizzard conditions wind included but the downslope valleys it was just a breezy day while the coasts was getting pummeled, not until the winds switched Northerly did the valleys get good winds. It did eventually snow on the coast . I took my kids sledding in GON at Washington Park hills.

How much did Hartford area have?

I know a bit OT  but man this is sick..7 inches of water in 20 inches of snow...that is awesome..yes please

Dec. 1992

Heavy snows fell inland with Worcester, MA 32.1 inches setting a new single storm record. Stamford, NY had 37 inches, Berne, NY 34 inches, Otis, MA 33 inches, Hopkinton, MA 28 inches, Union, CT 27 inches and Jerimoth, Hill, RI 24 inches. Boston, MA recorded frequent gusts over 60 mph with a peak gust to 78 mph. The snow was very wet near the coast. Woonsocket, RI recorded 7.14 inches of liquid water content in 20 inches of snow.

I know a bit OT  but man this is sick..7 inches of water in 20 inches of snow...that is awesome..yes please

Dec. 1992

Heavy snows fell inland with Worcester, MA 32.1 inches setting a new single storm record. Stamford, NY had 37 inches, Berne, NY 34 inches, Otis, MA 33 inches, Hopkinton, MA 28 inches, Union, CT 27 inches and Jerimoth, Hill, RI 24 inches. Boston, MA recorded frequent gusts over 60 mph with a peak gust to 78 mph. The snow was very wet near the coast. Woonsocket, RI recorded 7.14 inches of liquid water content in 20 inches of snow.

They didn't have 3:1 ratios. That was storm total QPF. A lot of RI and SE ma had 6-8" QPF.

92 is still my top 2 or 3 fave. Driving up to wife's parents house at 880 in Tolland from Vernon. What a difference. 6-7 inches to 16-18 there with tree carnage and power out for 5 days. Praying we get something similar soon

The elevation around here had huge differences, I lived in the valley at about 450' and got about 12 inches of mashed potatoes, my sister 5 miles away got the same as Worcester with large drifts, I tried to get to her house with a Tacoma 4 wheel drive and got stuck in a snow drift, had trouble opening the door to get out of the truck, I had to turn around and come back home, the drifts in the high spots were unbelievable.

I have pictures somewhere of different spots in Charlton but haven't been able to find them.

yes eastern New England definitely but back here in the Connecticut River Valley just east of Cape Cod is usually a pretty decent track although there is obviously many more variables at play.

Right, but the fact that this throws a lot of warmer air aloft west, causes you to need a further east track. Like the euro ensemble mean for instance.

Can you imagine Ryan's meltdown had he been around for this or if we do it again someday? Epic.

The east winds, as they interacted with the higher terrain in Worcester County, MA were forced to rise quite sharply, a process called upslope flow. A storm total of 40" of paralyzing snow occurred at Worcester, MA as a result.  On the leeward side of the Worcester hills the air descended, and thus compressed causing it to warm and dry out.  The subsequent downslope flow into the Connecticut river valley, dried the air out so much that average snowfalls amounted to only three inches around Hartford, CT, and Springfield, MA.

near me

1992-12-11	37	32	34.5	2.5	30	0	3.58	3.2	3
1992-12-12	34	27	30.5	-1.2	34	0	2.00	20.0	21
1992-12-13	32	29	30.5	-0.8	34	0	0.12	1.2	22

BDL

1992-12-11	37	34	35.5	2.4	29	0	1.01	1.1	0
1992-12-12	34	30	32.0	-0.7	33	0	0.37	4.2	2

ORH

1992-12-11	37	28	32.5	1.6	32	0	0.88	14.8	T
1992-12-12	28	25	26.5	-4.1	38	0	1.36	17.3	22
1992-12-13	30	27	28.5	-1.7	36	0	T	T	29

Archived