• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

Anyways back on topic....that cold across far interior and NNE is NOT going to erode as models have. Fact, not opinion. Today is example 2 since last week about how woeful models are. Boston won't even warm sector today.

Why weren't you picked as a mod? You literally don't just read them, but you actually reply to every post in this subforum. :lol:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways back on topic....that cold across far interior and NNE is NOT going to erode as models have. Fact, not opinion. Today is example 2 since last week about how woeful models are. Boston won't even warm sector today.

Been saying this for about a week as well, My low yesterday was 5.5°F with many in Northern Maine well below zero, Models just cant resolve CAD very well

Dead serious, but how does the cut-off and wrapped up look interact with the CAD? Maybe the SFC stays cold, but is think there's only so long of east flow that you can have before it warms up? Or are mid-levels are bigger problem?

Dead serious, but how does the cut-off and wrapped up look interact with the CAD? Maybe the SFC stays cold, but is think there's only so long of east flow that you can have before it warms up? Or are mid-levels are bigger problem?

Well I think I understand what you mean. I mean if the low stalled for two days then yeah areas may rot at like 34-35 or so. But if it stalls for less then 24 hours and wobbles east, maybe it tickles 32F and then slowly cools. At that point, you are also cooling the mid levels as well. Cutoffs and occlusions generally have falling heights over you. Of course it depends on your locations. Lewiston, ME would be more prone to warm with a stalled low helping to prolong easterly flow, compared to Jackman, ME.

We'd appreciate some of that cooler air down here, Jeff.  Mind lending some?

31.6/31

I would like to Mike, Usually a high over QUE will do the trick for you, In a crap pattern like this its very helpful up here being closer to the source, But it can go the other way as well

Well I think I understand what you mean. I mean if the low stalled for two days then yeah areas may rot at like 34-35 or so. But if it stalls for less then 24 hours and wobbles east, maybe it tickles 32F and then slowly cools. At that point, you are also cooling the mid levels as well. Cutoffs and occlusions generally have falling heights over you. Of course it depends on your locations. Lewiston, ME would be more prone to warm with a stalled low helping to prolong easterly flow, compared to Jackman, ME.

Jackman would be attaching a second yardstick, I would thump then taint when the air mass gets eroded by easterly's, I need wind NNE to remain cold and snow

That is honestly one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen on here

Not really. We can't all be microclimates at 980 feet that can spit flurries out its fanny, but even you have to deal with the reality that many years we are still looking for our first plowable event right now.

When I speak of CP it's a SE of ORH , you are a different climo. The CP has issues with ST origin

You mean se MA up to Boston....well, sometimes in a perfect scenario, those areas get hit hard this early, too.

Dec 2003 smoked Boston....

I know what you mean, though.....99% of the time that rule is applicable.

Not really. We can't all be microclimates at 980 feet that can spit flurries out its fanny, but even you have to deal with the reality that many years we are still looking for our first plowable event right now.

This notion that somehow the first 2-3 weeks of December isn't supposed to snow or be wintry is just crazy. I'd venture to say half to 3/4 of our lives there's been snow and cold in early and middle December.

Jackman would be attaching a second yardstick, I would thump then taint when the air mass gets eroded by easterly's, I need wind NNE to remain cold and snow

Yeah I was just using you as an example of the ageo flow eventually weakening if the low stalled for 2 days and marine puke invades the interior. But, you can be the farm models are too quick to warm.

This notion that somehow the first 2-3 weeks of December isn't supposed to snow or be wintry is just crazy. I'd venture to say half to 3/4 of our lives there's been snow and cold in early and middle December.

Isn't supposed to be, and generally not snowy are two different things. First half of December generally is not a snowy time across SNE even at 1,000ft.

Isn't supposed to be, and generally not snowy are two different things. First half of December generally is not a snowy time across SNE even at 1,000ft.

I just can't find any ounce of me that can find any truth to that. All those snowstorms and cold outbreaks of past Dec weren't supposed to happen because of climo? Nah

Yeah I was just using you as an example of the ageo flow eventually weakening if the low stalled for 2 days and marine puke invades the interior. But, you can be the farm models are too quick to warm.

Yes without the high holding its place it would be like a retrograding low backing in from the ENE, We could sustain the colder air mass for a time but the warmer air would win out here on the coastal plain

What Scooter said, it isn't supposed to be cold and snowy, although sometimes it is. It is the typical period of transition from fall to winter.

The first half of December usually isn't known as a snowy time, Kevin. Of course it can be, but climo certainly ramps up after the 15th.

Well maybe I'm on my own in those beliefs..but I'll certainly go to the grave with them..It's always been my thought that people associate cold and snow with DJF..and that's usually the best 3 month period of winter..Some years you get wintry Novembers and occasionally a March

Archived