joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 storm threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't find any ounce of me that can find any truth to that. All those snowstorms and cold outbreaks of past Dec weren't supposed to happen because of climo? Nah

How many Decembers had good snow through 12/15...lets go through the list for ORH which if anything, is slightly snowier than you:

2013: good snow

2012: Nadda

2011: torch/nadda

2010: Nadda

2009: Good snow

2008: Nadda (12/19 was the first good snow)

2007: Good snow

2006: torch nada

2005: Great snow

2004: Nadda

2003: great snow

2002: great snow

2001: One moderate event but a torch

2000: Nadda

1999: Torch/Nadda

1998: Torch/Nadda

1997: Nadda

1996: Great snow

1995: Great snow

1994: Torch/nadda

1993: torch/nadda

8 out of 21 early Decembers at 1,000 foot ORH to your north had good snowy early Decembers. Keep going back further and the same pattern exists.

Case closed...let the jury deliberate.

Climo can be a b**ch sometimes.

Now back on topic.

Yeah I was reading the BTV discussion and lots of mention of a turn to rain, etc. Personally I don't see it, though  models try to warm like the 925 level and below for awhile. Looking at past analogs I think you'd be hard pressed to find many lows like this on Dec. 10th with a track from like western LI to (ultimately) Maine Coast that rained there.

crushed according to the Euro, I mean crushed

Yeah...I could see BOS mostly wet, but as you move north - a town like Andover, for example - could have an inch or two before the changeover.

Yeah as far as maybe some slick spots and a little snow, Monday late day and evening could do that. Not that I let the NAM sway me, but the setup does support it. Despite this being shallow, there is support for some precip..albeit light.

figure on a overrunning snow until the east flow at all levels cranks up?

Well here is why it probably would only be light. Wicked dry column above 950. However with temps so cold, crappy flakes can come about from that..also sea salt boosting temps for snow flake production. A little boost from the CF too. Usually these setups are not much QPF producers, but can make for some slippery times when it becomes FZDZ.

I just can't find any ounce of me that can find any truth to that. All those snowstorms and cold outbreaks of past Dec weren't supposed to happen because of climo? Nah

For once, I'M going to be the voice of Non-Snow reason. Kevin - Good snow doesn't Happen until AFTER Christmas most of the time. INCLUDING 2002-2003 And 2004-2005.

So Calm Down. Callllm Down. Go re-read Rays Winter Outlook.

I'm going to tag Kevin with the new weenie.

Well maybe I'm on my own in those beliefs..but I'll certainly go to the grave with them..It's always been my thought that people associate cold and snow with DJF..and that's usually the best 3 month period of winter..Some years you get wintry Novembers and occasionally a March

A lot farther north so maybe not relevant, but for Dec. 1-14 my avg daily snowfall is 0.47" (6.52" total) while for 15-31 it's 0.78" (13.21" total), almost 70% higher.  12/15 is the only day here when I've recorded 2 separate 10"+ events, thus the cherrypick.  However, the early period also includes the 24" from 12/6-7/2003.  Bottom line: Big snowfall can come any time in Dec, but historically it's considerably more likely 15th and beyond.

Latest GFS for next week reminds me of what it looked like on about 2/22/2010 (for my area only), and that mighty mess gave us mashed potato glops alternating with catspaw-loaded 34F rain, leaving a 7-8" layer of almost immovable whitish "mud".  No thanks.  (Though I haven't a choice, of course.)

Archived