• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

It's like a bad comedy/drama that never seems to end... however, on the outside looking in, it's pretty entertaining.

I do wish there was less badgering and more analysis, though. For someone like myself always trying to learn more about the weather, it can be kinda annoying having great discussion being broken up by some posters bickering about nonsense.

I applaud those who constantly post meaningful analysis and data to this forum and those who contribute to it in a positive way. You know who you are. :)

Funny that my post was deleted. Just calling it how I see it. Truth hurts I guess..lol I agree perfectly with you. I miss the old Eastern days and Tombo calling the pbp's.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uch. We (NYC and immediate surrounding areas) haven't had a whopper of a snow storm (12" or greater) since January 2011. That's almost 4 years. No wonder everyone's up each other's asses around here - that's like not having sex for four years! I'd be pretty frustrated too! May 2015 deliver us the KU storm of the century to satiate our burning desires for lots of white fluffy stuff!

Last year had a 12"+ storm.

Uch. We (NYC and immediate surrounding areas) haven't had a whopper of a snow storm (12" or greater) since January 2011. That's almost 4 years. No wonder everyone's up each other's asses around here - that's like not having sex for four years! I'd be pretty frustrated too! May 2015 deliver us the KU storm of the century to satiate our burning desires for lots of white fluffy stuff!

lol.. Im pretty sure we have quite a few 40 yr old virgins on this board.. 

This place would have been wonderful between 1984 and 1993 then.

There have only been about 37 storms of a foot or more in about 145 years; roughly one every four years:

Biggest Snowstorms
One Foot or more Central Park 1869 to Present
(through Oct 19 2013)
Amount
Year & Date(s)
26.9 inches
February 11-12, 2006
26.4 inches
December 26-27, 1947
21.0 inches
March 12-14, 1888
20.9 inches
February 25-26, 2010
20.2 inches
January 7-8, 1996
20.0 inches
December 26-27, 2010
19.8 inches
February 16-17, 2003
19.0 inches
January 26-27, 2011
18.1 inches
March 7-8, 1941
18.0 inches
December 26, 1872
17.7 inches
February 5-7, 1978
17.6 inches
February 11-12, 1983
17.5 inches
January 22-24, 1935
February 4-7, 1920
17.4 inches
February 3-4, 1961
16.0 inches
December 19-20, 1948
February 12-13, 1899
15.3 inches
February 9-10, 1969
15.2 inches
December 11-12, 1960
14.5 inches
March 3-4, 1960
March 1-2, 1914
14.0 inches
December 5-7, 2003
13.8 inches
January 22-23, 2005
13.7 inches
December 21-22, 1959
13.6 inches
January 19-20, 1978
13.0 inches
January 15-16, 1879
January 1-2, 1877
12.8 inches
February 11, 1994
12.7 inches
February 19, 1979
December 15, 1916
12.5 inches
February 7, 1967
January 12-13, 1964
February 20, 1921
12.0 inches
December 30, 2000
February 9-10, 1926
March 15-16, 1896

there is no need to be first to post what model x is showing at hour y. No one will reward you for that. Accuracy over speed. 

There are contests for # of tropical systems, global temps, departures from norm temps for various stations, but last time I checked there are no contest for who is the fastest at interpreting model output, is there?

btw, that pic is forky.

I don't think its the worst idea that *future* board membership is contingent on passing a simple quiz in basic meteorology & climatology...

there is no need to be first to post what model x is showing at hour y. No one will reward you for that. Accuracy over speed.

There are contests for # of tropical systems, global temps, departures from norm temps for various stations, but last time I checked there are no contest for who is the fastest at interpreting model output, is there?

btw, that pic is forky.

Are you obsessed over forky?

I'll be honest here.....The interactions I've had with Pamela have been nothing but pleasant. She is a very knowledgeable person who's posts clearly reflect that. She also seems to have a good sense of humor. For someone just taking a quick peek into the forum, it may appear as if she is starting issues with a bunch of people. The way I see it is that most of the people having "issues" with Pamela are the same ones that seem to post about nothing other than the "issues" that they have with people. Pamela does speak with conviction which seems to bother some people, causing them to attack with cheap shots.

Here is the difference between Pamela and her recent "negative" posts and most of the other people's : Because of her knowledge and experience with the weather, she truly contributes to the board in subjects pertaining to WEATHER. Most of those criticizing and speaking with conviction against her.....seem to be experts of coming up with clever comebacks and derogatory remarks. Not weather.....not one bit.

Sorry.....I enjoy reading the board more than I do making posts on this board and lately it's been argument after argument, so I wanted to chime in and give my 2 cents. For those taking a quick look, dig a bit deeper and you may see what I mean

I used to actively look out "William's" posts over the past few years.  Lots of good reports out of LI during storms and always digging up useful stuff.

Unfortunately, whatever schtick this is now, with "Pamela", I've had to put on ignore and that's a shame.  The faux feminism posts are not only annoying, they really pollute the boards, even in banter.

I feel for John/Earthlight.  I think we'd all benefit if he could spend more of his available time contributing rather than policing.  It seems he's really trying to give a lot of slack and he doesn't have a ton of time to police this place.  He's got his own life.  I think there might need to be some additional moderator duties handed out to increase the "street presence" so to speak more regularly and a bit more authoritatively.

If things don't get better, I can't blame the operators of the site if they decide to permanently nuke this sub-forum, but all it would do is scatter the usual suspects who would go to other forums and we'd have a wash rinse repeat cycle of the same nonsense/problems that plague this sub-forum.  Hence why I don't think we see a more no-nonsense approach here.  That's my take, as conspiratorial as it may be. 

The antics of a few are spoiling the environment for the rest of us, an environment where I would hope we can learn and enjoy and marvel at what brought us here in the first place, weather.

I used to actively look out "William's" posts over the past few years. Lots of good reports out of LI during storms and always digging up useful stuff.

Unfortunately, whatever schtick this is now, with "Pamela", I've had to put on ignore and that's a shame. The faux feminism posts are not only annoying, they really pollute the boards, even in banter.

I feel for John/Earthlight. I think we'd all benefit if he could spend more of his available time contributing rather than policing. It seems he's really trying to give a lot of slack and he doesn't have a ton of time to police this place. He's got his own life. I think there might need to be some additional moderator duties handed out to increase the "street presence" so to speak more regularly and a bit more authoritatively.

If things don't get better, I can't blame the operators of the site if they decide to permanently nuke this sub-forum, but all it would do is scatter the usual suspects who would go to other forums and we'd have a wash rinse repeat cycle of the same nonsense/problems that plague this sub-forum. Hence why I don't think we see a more no-nonsense approach here. That's my take, as conspiratorial as it may be.

The antics of a few are spoiling the environment for the rest of us, an environment where I would hope we can learn and enjoy and marvel at what brought us here in the first place, weather.

I agree. Honestly, there does need to be more bans or suspensions. Just deleting the posts without at least suspensions is really the same as ignoring it all, and makes it even more difficult for the moderators. It really is a shame, as you said, that people like Earthlight have to deal with petty internet arguments when they are people that can truly contribute to a great discussion. But as with any job or anything in life for that matter, there are always gray areas and it is tough to enforce every policy every moment. Really, people just need to have self control. All I see is "you're an idiot". "Well you're a STUPID idiot". "Well if I'm stupid why did you say it will snow?" "I didn't, you did" "show me where I did", etc etc. People just need to brush things off a bit. Someone calls someone an idiot? Keep the negative thoughts in your mind. "Unless you have something nice to say, say nothing at all". We're mostly all rooting for snow. Let's just enjoy the weather together. Most of us are not meteorologists. For he people who are educated, share with those that aren't. For those who aren't, ASK questions and stop TELLING others how they're wrong. Peace and love to all!!

Archived