joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know that this weather board is the place to get attention for real or fake gender "reassignment".

Stick to the weather.

I don't believe it was done for attention. When Pamela first joined it became pretty clear that she was previously William. People started asking what happened to William so she told the story. Many missed it and continue to ask which is why it was told again.

Cutters always verify 8 days out.  Bank this one to Cleveland

The funny thing is that there is more leeway for a cutter long range forecast to work out. A cutter is still a cutter

if it's 50 miles west of NYC or 500 miles west. You are going to get rain a potentially strong winds in either case.

Coastal storms that could possibly produce snow need to come close enough to a BM track to work out.

Too far east and we don't get anything. Too much of a hugger track and P-Types become an issue.

And further west still becomes a cutter.

What an ugly month this has been though for winter lovers and it'll only get worse before it gets better. We haven't seen the big torch that was advertised, which I honestly would have preferred if we weren't going to get much snow anyway. 

This month has felt very typical November like when things are still  not quite cold enough for snow but it feels close and that's frustrating. Top that off with a few very wet systems that all mostly if not all rain but we're not talking cutters; these were coastal tracks. Now we're going to dodge the 20/21 system most likely and have a massive Xmas eve/Xmas cutter and the Euro shows another cutter on the 27th. 

If we get a nice storm to end the month then I'll be happy but if we don't then this month will be on par with last March as one of the most annoying and frustrating winter months I've experienced. 

What an ugly month this has been though for winter lovers and it'll only get worse before it gets better. We haven't seen the big torch that was advertised, which I honestly would have preferred if we weren't going to get much snow anyway. 

This month has felt very typical November like when things are still  not quite cold enough for snow but it feels close and that's frustrating. Top that off with a few very wet systems that all mostly if not all rain but we're not talking cutters; these were coastal tracks. Now we're going to dodge the 20/21 system most likely and have a massive Xmas eve/Xmas cutter and the Euro shows another cutter on the 27th. 

If we get a nice storm to end the month then I'll be happy but if we don't then this month will be on par with last March as one of the most annoying and frustrating winter months I've experienced. 

All of this is true .  But just hang on and watch Jan and Feb . It really may be worth the wait .

It certainly is a shame what this forum has become. It is clear that more "policing" is necessary and I am glad to hear that Stormtracker has installed some member-moderators that can try to help the situation. It is really tough not only to produce new members but keep new members around with the kind of attitude that bleeds through this place. It is clear there are a few common denominators that I think if these were addressed would really help.

Yanksfan- I like you, I have been a proponent of yours for awhile, I think you are knowledgeable and your passion is certainly felt through your posts. It is this same passion that can get you in trouble sometimes though. Often when there are confrontations you are involved in them and perhaps if you were to tone it back a bit it would really help.

DT- It is good to see you back, I have been reading your stuff since before I even knew I was going to pursue my meteorology degree. However, your brash attitude and name calling should have no place before meteorology here, it is not and never has been welcome, bottom line.

Forky- You are a great asset to this board, you are certainly very smart and have much knowledge to disseminate to those willing to learn. You rub a lot of people the wrong way though with the attitude that you have.

In general- There is too much free reign given to "weenies" here and not enough policing of red taggers. I think a lot of members do not like that red taggers are seen as untouchable, this should be fixed IMO. However, the quality of posts from red taggers would go up noticeably if there was less free reign to weenies posting that the NAM is the only model that should be trusted and everything and anything else is pure idiocy (you know who I am talking to here). Any poster should have the ability to post and learn, but when weenies(this excludes the umpteen knowledgeable amateurs here) try to do what red taggers went to school to do, problems arise.

The list here can go on, but notice there are two red taggers here that I am willing to name here... it is not just on the part of those willing to learn to do better, but it is also on us, the red taggers, to do what we do better. I think if things were to be cleaned up then you would see new members not only come, but stay, and not only that, but go on to be valued forum members.

What other choice do you have? Sit here and b**ch and moan that its warm and rainy?

Yes. That's my only choice. Considering the fact that after the 21st storm shreaded into pieces, I heard let's see the xmas storm, now that it might be a cutter (still got like a lot of time to change), I hear lets wait till Jan/Feb, and if it doesn't happen, ill just wait ill 2015/2016 winter.

Yes. That's my only choice. Considering the fact that after the 21st storm shreaded into pieces, I heard let's see the xmas storm, now that it might be a cutter (still got like a lot of time to change), I hear lets wait till Jan/Feb, and if it doesn't happen, ill just wait ill 2015/2016 winter.

Exactly. But given the trends the Christmas storm is not going to be a snowstorm for us. I know its a long way off still but too much would have to change. 

It certainly is a shame what this forum has become. It is clear that more "policing" is necessary and I am glad to hear that Stormtracker has installed some member-moderators that can try to help the situation. It is really tough not only to produce new members but keep new members around with the kind of attitude that bleeds through this place. It is clear there are a few common denominators that I think if these were addressed would really help.

Yanksfan- I like you, I have been a proponent of yours for awhile, I think you are knowledgeable and your passion is certainly felt through your posts. It is this same passion that can get you in trouble sometimes though. Often when there are confrontations you are involved in them and perhaps if you were to tone it back a bit it would really help.

DT- It is good to see you back, I have been reading your stuff since before I even knew I was going to pursue my meteorology degree. However, your brash attitude and name calling should have no place before meteorology here, it is not and never has been welcome, bottom line.

Forky- You are a great asset to this board, you are certainly very smart and have much knowledge to disseminate to those willing to learn. You rub a lot of people the wrong way though with the attitude that you have.

In general- There is too much free reign given to "weenies" here and not enough policing of red taggers. I think a lot of members do not like that red taggers are seen as untouchable, this should be fixed IMO. However, the quality of posts from red taggers would go up noticeably if there was less free reign to weenies posting that the NAM is the only model that should be trusted and everything and anything else is pure idiocy (you know who I am talking to here). Any poster should have the ability to post and learn, but when weenies(this excludes the umpteen knowledgeable amateurs here) try to do what red taggers went to school to do, problems arise.

The list here can go on, but notice there are two red taggers here that I am willing to name here... it is not just on the part of those willing to learn to do better, but it is also on us, the red taggers, to do what we do better. I think if things were to be cleaned up then you would see new members not only come, but stay, and not only that, but go on to be valued forum members.

I agree with most of what you said here. Part of the problem is a number of people have it out for Yanksfan and would prefer him to leave. They know how to get under his skin and will jump on him at the first mistake he makes. He doesn't know how to ignore them and instead responds and thats usually how the play by plays turn into a disaster. 

As far as red taggers I don't think there are enough here. I don't expect them to be here posting all day so there has to be some free reign for people to post with the expectations that everyone will behave and get along. Unfortunately that doesn't usually happen. Even DT who most respect will post a bunch and then you won't hear from him for days or weeks. I don't think he posted here at all last winter.

The entire regime is in the process of changing . Many of us can see it in the modeling and the physical drivers that will get us there .

But no one can make it happen quicker for you and anyone else .

Patience maybe a word thrown around a lot  but it applies here . Yes as a matter of fact the 21st is shredded , the 22nd are  showers the 24th is a big cut off rain maker and the 27th cuts . But that`s the process that will help drag the trough axis east .

And honestly there is nothing anyone can do to change that . So Patience as annoying as that may be is what you will need .

What comes after will make you want to circle back and erase this . But now you can`t .

To all, Thank you for the advice. I was just getting my anger out from the 21st storm. Sorry.

Hey we're all in the same boat. We all want the same thing and it can be frustrating. Nobody can make any promises so if someone guarantees you snow or a great winter, well they're wrong. So yes it did seem like we might be seeing snow sooner than later and perhaps we won't at all but all signs point to major changes coming, just going to take more time than originally thought

It probably would have been rain for most with the 21 storm anyway. Its a shame it fizzled. But with that said going into this month it sounded like many to be mild and boring. As crappy as the airmass has been we at least have had and have many storms to track and chances of it being snow. Hopefully the real fun really starts after xmas.

Alright, as long as I get some kind of road accumulations(5+) by the end of the winter, I'll be happy :). I rather want 20 inches+. :snowing:

You might be wishing the snow would stop by January 20th or so. That is how good the upcoming pattern appears it will be. Active PAC jet and STJ, big time -EPO, -NAO, -AO and potentially a +PNA. Setup is KU-kind-of-ripe. Beyond that...persistent sudden stratospheric warming events could keep us in a -AO regime for a good amount of time to come. The upcoming pattern is likely to produce quite nicely.

You might be wishing the snow would stop by January 20th or so. That is how good the upcoming pattern appears it will be. Active PAC jet and STJ, big time -EPO, -NAO, -AO and potentially a +PNA. Setup is KU-kind-of-ripe. Beyond that...persistent sudden stratospheric warming events could keep us in a -AO regime for a good amount of time to come. The upcoming pattern is likely to produce quite nicely.

You promise?  ;)

Lol I am so much of a snow weenie that I hope we get some like major storm around New Years or a little after, and then a few days later, we get hammered with like a 20 inches +, if that happens, Hell i wouldn't care if it was in the mid 60's in February.

Yes, the x-mas storm as a massive cutter will certainly help the -NAO, but it could just be a transient feature.

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

Not to say this is correct or not, but it has really been hard the past few years to get a persistent -NAO. So it will certainly be interesting to see whether or not the x-mas storm can really trigger something there.

Look man, I have patience but ever since like the thanksgiving storm, its been "patience", jan and feb, go by very quickly.

Its not exactly the kind of problem that can be fixed by a human being...

Archived