joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ratios are going to be high, but with gusts up to 45mph, you'll be hard pressed to get anything above 15:1 once the low starts bombing out. I'm concerned that forecast amounts are overblown since it seems that people are really riding the ECMWF into the sun on this. If the GFS, RGEM, NAM, and other hi-res models really show some improvement tonight then I'll be all over the ridiculous amounts, but for now I just want to have some level sanity with this forecast. I think the city is pretty solidly in the 12-18" range, but mesoscale features, which will not be known until they show themselves will dictate the final outcomes. 

Personally, I don't want 30" of snow. That's actually too much snow here to handle. I'd be snowed in, there would be drifts up to 5-6 feet, and I'd have to worry about power outages. No one over the age of 12 wants that if they have responsibilities lol 

So I've turned on the weather channel a few times today to see what their take was on it.....So i've given up lol Each time i've turned it on, there has been shows such as "Prospectors" on. I mean.....I know its very important that the viewers see different types of rocks that can be mined if you have the proper equipment.....But I thought just maybe one of the biggest winter storms ever for the NE might be important to the viewers.....You know, it's kind of weather-ish :P

Ratios are going to be high, but with gusts up to 45mph, you'll be hard pressed to get anything above 15:1 once the low starts bombing out. I'm concerned that forecast amounts are overblown since it seems that people are really riding the ECMWF into the sun on this. If the GFS, RGEM, NAM, and other hi-res models really show some improvement tonight then I'll be all over the ridiculous amounts, but for now I just want to have some level sanity with this forecast. I think the city is pretty solidly in the 12-18" range, but mesoscale features, which will not be known until they show themselves will dictate the final outcomes. 

Personally, I don't want 30" of snow. That's actually too much snow here to handle. I'd be snowed in, there would be drifts up to 5-6 feet, and I'd have to worry about power outages. No one over the age of 12 wants that if they have responsibilities lol 

I agree about the 30". Have seen that many times in Buffalo and once you get past the excitement of the actual snowfall, the after effects are a bit too much for many. 

So I've turned on the weather channel a few times today to see what their take was on it.....So i've given up lol Each time i've turned it on, there has been shows such as "Prospectors" on. I mean.....I know its very important that the viewers see different types of rocks that can be mined if you have the proper equipment.....But I thought just maybe one of the biggest winter storms ever for the NE might be important to the viewers.....You know, it's kind of weather-ish :P

No. No.  "Why Planes Crash" is much more important.  Half of the crashes there was little weather related impact!

Sounds like this is right up there with movie night during a tornado in Atlanta.

Oh yeah. Its pretty epic. They've been talking about salting trucks and just the most basic meteorological topics possibly (you need to be @ 32F for snow) as if their audience eats paste in the corner or something. Can't wait to see an episode of "Fat Guys In the Woods" while it's coming down at 2/3" an hour on Monday. 

Thoughts that the heaviest snow could actually be outside of the main areas I recall people talking about winds keeping the snow ratios down there for if you go a little West would there be actually more snow because of better ratios even though its a little less liquid?

I don't think that will be the difference between 30" and 15" of snow or anything like that.....The areas that will have the strongest winds will also have the most precip (possibly by far), so while it might limit the max potential slightly, i really don't think it will be that significant (in my opinion)

Oh yeah. Its pretty epic. They've been talking about salting trucks and just the most basic meteorological topics possibly (you need to be @ 32F for snow) as if their audience eats paste in the corner or something. Can't wait to see an episode of "Fat Guys In the Woods" while it's coming down at 2/3" an hour on Monday.

Hoping they send Raegan to wherever I'm at...

Archived