Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A strange incident occurred this morning. A large bright yellow orb appeared in the sky for about 3 hours this morning, which hurt my eyes due to its brightness.  Thank God the semi permanent stratus deck moved back in.

There were at least four wrecks this morning due to icy bridges in our county, an unusual occurrence since we've had no precip, just a heavy coating of frost.

There was dense fog up my way this morning too. LOT was mentioning that smoke stacks in parts of the area acted to seed clouds this morning, hence the reports of snow.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=105671&source=0

hmmmm....maybe my wife did run into a random snow then out towards fox valley this morning....perhaps a combo of the 2 snow and fog if she claimed it was "heavy snow".

cool stuff

hmmmm....maybe my wife did run into a random snow then out towards fox valley this morning....perhaps a combo of the 2 snow and fog if she claimed it was "heavy snow".

cool stuff

Up to 1" of snow in places this morning. NWS Chicago did a short-write up on the event here. My co-worker mentioned that is was snowing steadily and sticking in Naperville this morning. Check out this graphic/photo from the NWS (sorry for the size):

edit - just noticed Geos posted this link too. Oh well, still a cool little unexpected event.

10646972_823649961025373_779143543555029

Up to 1" of snow in places this morning. NWS Chicago did a short-write up on the event here. My co-worker mentioned that is was snowing steadily and sticking in Naperville this morning. Check out this graphic/photo from the NWS (sorry for the size):

She teaches in naperville so i guess i owe the wife some ice cream tonight for calling her crazy when she gave me the obs lol

There was dense fog up my way this morning too. LOT was mentioning that smoke stacks in parts of the area acted to seed clouds this morning, hence the reports of snow.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=105671&source=0

The pic of the Willis tower sticking up above the clouds/fog was sweet.  Would have been awesome to be on the observation deck at the time.

On certain days we've had smoke stack effect snow at work as well.  Not as extreme as what they saw in Chicago with the larger smoke stacks, but we've had them coat the parking lot and surrounding areas with snow before.

Here's a few shots from New Years Eve last year.  You can see some light snow falling out of the smoke stack plume as I drove in to work.

jua8e8.jpg

kamgs2.jpg

Up to 1" of snow in places this morning. NWS Chicago did a short-write up on the event here. My co-worker mentioned that is was snowing steadily and sticking in Naperville this morning. Check out this graphic/photo from the NWS (sorry for the size):

edit - just noticed Geos posted this link too. Oh well, still a cool little unexpected event.

10646972_823649961025373_779143543555029

That was one of the most fascinating localized events I've seen in my time in the NWS. That +9c was observed at 850 mb and nowhere below -10 even in the subfreezing layer down low makes it even more fascinating. The nuclear cooling pond effect snow that we've had at least has occurred in arctic air masses with the dendritic zone to the surface typically. Just so happened that MDW was under 1 of those plumes for a while this morning - it was down to 1/4 mile -SN for a time.

Squirrels, blue jays, woodpeckers, cardinals, and a buck all enjoying my yard so far today. An overachieving 46° currently. Out cleaning the garage without a coat. Feels great.

Really stinks the torch isn't going to make it over here. Only 1 day predicted to be above 40 here. Would of been nice to gets some high 40s low 50s.

Archived