Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when you consider that Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America (after Mexico City, NYC and LA)  and averages more snow per year than NYC...

Interesting...I thought Chicago edged it out.  After doing some quick searching, looks like Toronto may have passed it when using recent population estimates.

Anyone who lives in a major metro area in this subforum knows the gridlock a storm can cause lol. It doesnt matter if its Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, or Minneapolis....

In fact, I'd argue the light snowfalls (say, 1-2") are a lot harder to drive in than the bigger storms.

1. It's tougher to maintain tire traction when the snow's not rutted and packed down but instead forms a layer of ice (thus the streets become skating rinks).

2. People aren't prepared for it when driving since winter weather headlines aren't issued.

3. The road commissions typically don't treat the roads when these light snowfalls occur. .

In fact, I'd argue the light snowfalls (say,1-2") are a lot harder to drive in than the bigger storms.

1. It's tougher to maintain tire traction when the snow's not rutted and packed down but instead forms a layer of ice on the streets

2. People aren't prepared for it when driving since winter weather headlines aren't issued.

3. The road commissions typically don't treat the roads when these light snowfalls occur. .

I think the plows in the Big Smoke (a.k.a. Toronto) only hit the roads when 2" are forecast to fall.

In fact, I'd argue the light snowfalls (say, 1-2") are a lot harder to drive in than the bigger storms.

1. It's tougher to maintain tire traction when the snow's not rutted and packed down but instead forms a layer of ice (thus the streets become skating rinks).

As you know, Im on the road literally every time it snows. And I can tell you that you are 10000% correct.

Hit 37° today, with almost full sun all day long. 

I tell ya, there is plenty of people around here that had a hard time driving in the last Monday's snowfall. This isn't a highly urbanized area, but it seems like it more so when you have snow covered roads.

getting some cold rain....the geese that had stuck around the last week or so are starting to leave

There were a couple of trumpeter swans hanging around my local park up until early this week, but they seem to have departed. Last winter, I few birds and ducks stayed and I sometimes wonder if they're not flying south due to becoming too reliant on human food.

0.98 in my tippy bucket.

Yep the farther south in Indiana one goes, the better the rain totals.  Only 0.38" here. It was just an irritating, relentless light rain. Had there been cold air, I would have been irrationally mad about my 5" while you were getting buried.

IND issued Flood Warnings for a few rivers, including the lower Wabash.

Yep the farther south in Indiana one goes, the better the rain totals.  Only 0.38" here. It was just an irritating, relentless light rain. Had there been cold air, I would have been irrationally mad about my 5" while you were getting buried.

13:1 ratios? Well then, I will gladly accept my 6.0" of imaginary snow.  :tomato:

13:1 ratios? Well then, I will gladly accept my 6.0" of imaginary snow.  :tomato:

Eh, 13:1 is about average around here and a man can dream can't he? Actually, I don't like "what ifs" too much, but couldn't resist. Guess I shouldn't complain too much, it could have been a sl@@t fest.

Eh, 13:1 is about average around here and a man can dream can't he? Actually, I don't like "what ifs" too much, but couldn't resist. Guess I shouldn't complain too much, it could have been a sl@@t fest.

I was just kidding ya. But, sometimes make believe is all we got in a hostile pattern for snow. :D

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/SLR/zones/iwx.GIF

Pretty close, actually. Most of your snows will be around 10-12:1, though.

Archived