Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure that's not favorable for us.

Like I said earlier, the old GFS is up to it's usually trick of being too much into suppression.   Definitely favor the para/euro solution...obviously.

It might be, but this pattern does not favor amplification.  Euro over-amps and the GFS suppresses.  

Well with the para and euro overamping this year and gfs suppressing everything, I'd probably go with a blend which probably brings a weak low through central VA and usual favored places get a decent snow 2-5" with white rain or rain changing to snow in the 95 corridor from DC to Baltimore

I like precip...at this point I like amped better than suppressed.

Not me, I'd rather be consistently on the cold side of the storm(s) if we are going to play the thread the needle game.

The euro is having big problems this season. It is not what it was last year

It had issues last year too.

Last change was 19 November of last year.  While there was a vertical resolution change, it did not change (increase) resolution in the troposphere, it just added a bunch of levels (~30, I think) in the stratosphere from 5 hPa to 0.01 hPa.  the other part of the upgrade was to use a new ocean model in their atmosphere / ocean coupling.  Hard to see either of these leading to more consistently wound up systems.  Would be interesting to dig into the model physics to see.

We are not going to know anything until we know how strong that vort really is. The Euro run is disappointing after all of the other guidance today though.

so far this season, every bit of Euro guidance that was good for us Day5 and later was wrong so it probably isn't a bad thing until that changes

Archived