Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent look on the GEFS for Sunday as well.  A couple wrapped up like the Para, then several that look vaguely Op-like and give us a nice storm and several that are suppressed/weak southern sliders.  I'd wager the mean will like quite a bit like the Op.  GGEM looks totally different.  

Decent look on the GEFS for Sunday as well. A couple wrapped up like the Para, then several that look vaguely Op-like and give us a nice storm and several that are suppressed/weak southern sliders. I'd wager the mean will like quite a bit like the Op. GGEM looks totally different.

Most look like they are at least "in the neighborhood". I like the trend of the past day or so.

Gonna be a dance between too little cold and too much suppression.

XBOX and Commodore couldn't be further apart in the mid and long range. Hard to believe they are even related. Not sure I trust the XBOX holding a low in the Southwest for a week, but who knows?

I'm started to hope they keep both running. Para seems superior and euro-like up to d4. Old GFS seems best @ d6-10. I think higher resolution comes with tradeoffs. It seems to magnify errors through time but performs better than lower res at shorter leads. We're seeing this with the Euro op this year. I don't trust anything it shows beyond d6-7.

OP runs should only be used inside of d6 for specifics and even then it's full of problems. D1-4 for sure though. Using their general idea beyond d6 and comparing it to the ensembles is good practice. Even though it's fun having ops go 10-15 days, weenies would be better served if ops stopped @ d7.

I'm started to hope they keep both running. Para seems superior and euro-like up to d4. Old GFS seems best @ d6-10. I think higher resolution comes with tradeoffs. It seems to magnify errors through time but performs better than lower res at shorter leads. We're seeing this with the Euro op this year. I don't trust anything it shows beyond d6-7.

OP runs should only be used inside of d6 for specifics and even then it's full of problems. D1-4 for sure though. Using their general idea beyond d6 and comparing it to the ensembles is good practice. Even though it's fun having ops go 10-15 days, weenies would be better served if ops stopped @ d7.

Good point about the magnification of errors.

I know everyone would enjoy winter much more if they'd stop looking so far ahead. It was right about this time last year that I put a five day limit on myself. It helped to slow down the passing of winter.

Good point about the magnification of errors.

I know everyone would enjoy winter much more if they'd stop looking so far ahead. It was right about this time last year that I put a five day limit on myself. It helped to slow down the passing of winter.

don't tell me how to be happy....I'm not worthy to be happy this time of year!!!!!   :wacko:

While I do understand the concern about higher resolution, we have to remember that the new version of the GFS has a lot of things besides resolution that are different, compared to the current operational version:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/tin14-46gfs_aab.htm

While I do understand the concern about higher resolution, we have to remember that the new version of the GFS has a lot of things besides resolution that are different, compared to the current operational version:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification/tin14-46gfs_aab.htm

Thanks - I had forgotten about the change from Eulerian dynamics to Semi-Lagrangian dynamics, which uses Hermite interpolation in both vertical and horizontal directions!

Wot?   :tomato:

Why? 

Here's the QBO for 1965-1966

1965   -1.03   -2.26   -1.98   -3.44   -7.10  -12.01  -16.00  -18.19  -20.03  -20.13  -19.74  -21.271966  -21.90  -17.14  -11.07   -2.33    2.16    5.42    7.47    7.63    9.23   11.00   11.74   13.26

Look at the values for Dec 1965 and Jan 1966.  They weren't very different from those this year.  A negative QBO like we have now increases the chances of a SSTA somewhere down the road.  That's about the only thing you can say.  There have been reallyy good snow years with a strongly negative QBO and really bad years.   The QBO by itself is less important that the QBO and the solar cycle and whether you have a nino or nina. 

I believe that there really is no death blow element. These indexes have come to light over last decade or so and each forecaster latches on to his favorite, or least liked, and declares it a saint or the devil. In reality, there is little evidence to support that any one index really controsl anything. Your post above shows that. The storm out west on one panled shows a closed moderate circulation, six hours later an open wave, six hours later a moderate-intense closed low. Something is wrong and even though there is a Korean model I think whomever got to Sony may have gotten to the models.

Archived