• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

I'm 90-95% certain. Enough to have deterministic wording.

What I can't stand is people ruling out a good winter, but a historic winter (50"+ for BWI/IAD) is much, much harder to get.

If you went with a forecast of 0% chance of a historic winter every winter you'd be right at least 90% of the time, which by your logic is enough to claim you are always right.

Seems legit.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo- there's really only one thing to focus on at this point and that's the ao if we want a realistic shot at climo+. It can happen without it (like last year) but past stats are pretty bad if we don't get a prolonged blocking period.

Guidance has shifted across the board towards a +ao in the +1-2sd range shortly after new years and the neg period that was looking good now appears brief and transient. We can still score in a -epo and or +pna regime but it's far from optimal in our area.

I'm not optimistic for a sustained decent snow pattern anytime soon. But we're moving towards our best climo period for getting something in a less than optimal regime so there's that.

I'll hold off on quick flip thoughts until the flip is inside of 5 days.

I'm 90-95% certain. Enough to have deterministic wording.

What I can't stand is people ruling out a good winter, but a historic winter (50"+ for BWI/IAD) is much, much harder to get.

Sorry, but your 95% certainty means exactly squat.

As far as getting something historic, the definition of the word means it would be a long shot in any setup. For all you know, every record might be a new record by April 1.

It would seem hard to have a historic winter if you have to can virtually an entire meteorological winter month, but I guess that depends on how you define historical. Still, a very cold Jan/Feb/Mar is still on the table. But like Bob said, until a cold pattern works itself around and inside of 5 days, it's going to be hard to take it seriously.

Its true that you can have a Dec shutout and still get an above average winter overall, but the odds of a historic winter overall like many called for on this forum are pretty slim to none right now. It's really only happened twice- 1978-79 and 1986-87. Now you can still get a HECS in an otherwise crappy winter (Jan. 2000 and Mar. 1942 come to mind) but most of our historic winters were well underway by this point. And a lot of those you mentioned (85/86, 04/05, 06/07, etc.) were still below average snowfall overall even though the winter itself was backloaded. But I do agree with you that around 1/20 is probably the point of no return.

Hard core weenies may have interpreted things as a forecast for a "historic winter" (or hoped for that).  But with all due respect I don't recall any of the well respected long range forecasters in here calling for anything like that.  Perhaps some were more bullish on the cold than others, but nothing extreme.  And nobody was going overly huge on snowfall.  General call for snow was "somewhat above normal".  I guess some people translated that to mean 2002-03 redux or something.

That said, this month has been disappointing and there is some legitimate concern on how things might shake out from here (without declaring "winter cancel").  I'm not overly impressed by the medium range through pretty much the rest of the month and even into the first part of January, but we'll see.  The good thing is, there is some decent cold air in Canada and it wouldn't take much to dislodge some of that.  As many on here have said, the global models have had a difficult time with the pattern beyond a few days (for whatever reason...fast flow, etc.).  It was only a week or so ago there was serious talk about a "ripe" pattern shortly after Christmas.  That all but disappeared a couple of days later.  We really, really (really!) need to see some concrete indications of -NAO blocking, and it just ain't happening thus far.  That's got me perhaps the most concerned.  My hope is that we have a back-loaded winter, maybe close to the last 2/3 being good.  2006-07 comes to mind in that regard, which would have been even more notable had we scored on the Valentine's Day storm (instead of getting 3" of sleet).  Still cannot believe how cold that February was...heck, even March and early April!

It would seem hard to have a historic winter if you have to can virtually an entire meteorological winter month, but I guess that depends on how you define historical. Still, a very cold Jan/Feb/Mar is still on the table. But like Bob said, until a cold pattern works itself around and inside of 5 days, it's going to be hard to take it seriously.

Historic is a subjective metric for people on the forum. To me, historic requires all 3 met months to have anomalous winter conditions. Doesn't have to be snow. If I was skating on a pond in the woods today with no fear of drowning it would be a good winter month.

Dec so far has been far below historic standards and that applies to just about everyone in the US. Scoring a storm late could save the month but Jan still needs to perform in some fashion to even discuss historic.

I don't think very many folks called for historic door to door but there were some. The majority called for a solid jan/feb in the east. Time will tell but I doubt many lr folks would say things are going as planned at this point.

Two things:

1) Like Fozz said, any official predictions of a historic winter were rare from this subforum..... Matt's forecast through CWG is always one of the most "official" forecasts published by anyone who lives within this area, and that forecast was for just a tad above the average snowfall. 

2) Waiting until January for the first accumulating snow can end up any number of ways. The examples listed in the posts above all skew optimistic. Even the ones that ended below average for snowfall still had a distinct wintry period of a month or so (like 04/05, 06/07). No one mentioned 08/09 with the wait until past 1/20 for the first region-wide accumulating event... and then the favorable modeled pattern for early Feb that ended up verifying as an inverted trough dumping 8" on Philly while DC remained snow-free. It ended up being a two storm winter. 91/92, 94/95, 01/02, etc. were also dismal January starts....

86/87 was a once-in-a-lifetime winter for DC where just three events sent the city into historic territory for snowfall. The more modest goal is for a winter that has numerous chances, even if they don't all pan out. 

Two things:

1) Like Fozz said, any official predictions of a historic winter were rare from this subforum..... Matt's forecast through CWG is always one of the most "official" forecasts published by anyone who lives within this area, and that forecast was for just a tad above the average snowfall. 

2) Waiting until January for the first accumulating snow can end up any number of ways. The examples listed in the posts above all skew optimistic. Even the ones that ended below average for snowfall still had a distinct wintry period of a month or so (like 04/05, 06/07). No one mentioned 08/09 with the wait until past 1/20 for the first region-wide accumulating event... and then the favorable modeled pattern for early Feb that ended up verifying as an inverted trough dumping 8" on Philly while DC remained snow-free. It ended up being a two storm winter. 91/92, 94/95, 01/02, etc. were also dismal January starts....

86/87 was a once-in-a-lifetime winter for DC where just three events sent the city into historic territory for snowfall. The more modest goal is for a winter that has numerous chances, even if they don't all pan out. 

Sounds like a lesser version of a certain winter we're all very familiar with ;)

Historic is a subjective metric for people on the forum. To me, historic requires all 3 met months to have anomalous winter conditions. Doesn't have to be snow. If I was skating on a pond in the woods today with no fear of drowning it would be a good winter month.

Dec so far has been far below historic standards and that applies to just about everyone in the US. Scoring a storm late could save the month but Jan still needs to perform in some fashion to even discuss historic.

I don't think very many folks called for historic door to door but there were some. The majority called for a solid jan/feb in the east. Time will tell but I doubt many lr folks would say things are going as planned at this point.

Yeah the only thing historic about this December is that it'll be the only December 2014 they ever make. Good riddance.

I suppose if we rapidly change to a persistent cold pattern that lasts the rest of the winter and contains multiple KUs, then maybe that would qualify. But that's kind of absurd to even talk about at this point.

I agree with the last point too. According to prevailing preseason wisdom, things are not unfolding according to plan so far.

Edit: at least we're heading into a climo period where we (especially you guys) can make do with a less than ideal pattern. So, if we can sneak an event or two in, maybe a better pattern sets up later and maximizes chances in a less than favorable climo time.

I think this is a good definition for "historic".  In the time I've lived in this area (since summer 2001), I'd say that 2002-03, 2009-10, 2013-14 would count as historic.  Those are also the only years I experienced above (or well enough above) normal snow.  All three were colder than normal on the whole as well.  One can argue 2013-14 might be kind of borderline because December wasn't exactly anomalous (at least we did get some interesting stuff through mid-month, then a torch for a week around Christmas).  But March was truly epic.

On the flip-side of that, the "anti-historic" top 3 crap winters for me include 2011-12, 2001-02, and 2012-13 (in that order).

I think this is a good definition for "historic".  In the time I've lived in this area (since summer 2001), I'd say that 2002-03, 2009-10, 2013-14 would count as historic.  Those are also the only years I experienced above (or well enough above) normal snow.  All three were colder than normal on the whole as well.  One can argue 2013-14 might be kind of borderline because December wasn't exactly anomalous (at least we did get some interesting stuff through mid-month, then a torch for a week around Christmas).  But March was truly epic.

On the flip-side of that, the "anti-historic" top 3 crap winters for me include 2011-12, 2001-02, and 2012-13 (in that order).

I think it's still possible to pull of a historic winter even if one month is kinda lame. 1995-96 for example had a lame December (1.3" total for DCA) with some big 40N events that screwed over this area or had snow changing to rain... I mean just take a look at this map for 12/19/1995, it looks hideous for our region... I can only imagine how certain weenies would reacted if this forum had been around

NJSnow-19Dec95.png

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1996/19-Dec-95.html

Then January happened and the rest is history.

Another fascinating winter was 1933-34, an amazing backloaded winter with a torch January followed by frigid cold and heavy snow in February and March and a very impressive snow total in the end especially for Baltimore. Some of the famous cold records of all time came from February 1934. Basically 2006-07 on steroids.

I think it's still possible to pull of a historic winter even if one month is kinda lame. 1995-96 for example had a lame December (1.3" total for DCA) with some big 40N events that screwed over this area or had snow changing to rain... I mean just take a look at this map for 12/19/1995, it looks hideous for our region... I can only imagine how certain weenies would reacted if this forum had been around

NJSnow-19Dec95.png

Another fascinating winter was 1933-34, an amazing backloaded winter with a torch January followed by frigid cold and heavy snow in February and March and a very impressive snow total in the end especially for Baltimore. Some of the famous cold records of all time came from February 1934. Basically 2006-07 on steroids.

Wow... I just checked the total snow and that's pretty good. 47.9" with 26.1" of that coming in February. March wasn't bad either with 13.8".

NJSnow-19Dec95.png

Looks like in 1960 winter went to town starting in February.

Decent cad/overunning look. H5 is flat as a pancake but meaningless at this lead. Nice to see cold in place either way.

The entire run seemed to have a pretty cold look to it, at least cold enough that every storm has a shot at producing some frozen.  Not bad.  And the XBOX really wants to go bonkers with the reinforcing shot of cold around hour 198, with a 1056 High in the center of the CONUS.

The entire run seemed to have a pretty cold look to it, at least cold enough that every storm has a shot at producing some frozen. Not bad. And the XBOX really wants to go bonkers with the reinforcing shot of cold around hour 198, with a 1056 High in the center of the CONUS.

Para is similar with the 28th. Euro ens had a cluster of ok solutions as well. Its sketchy but 90% of our snow events are sketchy.

I think it is too early to really discern anything...it is a good overrunning pattern with a big southeast ridge, which really doesn't support something sliding to our south....but who knows?

The 0z Euro has a storm that makes more sense given the pattern...low to our west, slides underneath us, but it is a bad track and the cold gets here too late....is a small hit for far western burbs and a nice hit for Western and central PA....

Archived