joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but Mon/Tues look very spring like and balmy around NE. 

That's the type of pattern in mid April you pray for (tho seldom get...) where softly forced off-shore breezes combine with the season's first +5 to +10C, 850 air, under low RH full sun.  Temps explode to near 68 or 70F with any lingering snow melt water just flowing off fields and across roads.

Then a backdoor comes down and bangs ur azz for 7 days in drizzle, but I digress..  

Anyway, despite that synoptic appeal, MOS is unimpressive.  wondering if the low sun angle keeps it cooler relative to that appeal.  But then it looks like most guidance offer up a light cool rain shower system, because said system is running up into such a cold starved BL. We'll see what's happening after, but this may be a good 7 days to tune out and get into other hobbies while we reload. 

Ooph

don't you live in Columbia ? New. Wxstation

I do, I live a quarter mile from Mono Pond if that.

I was confused because I have been using that station for temp/dp since I have been posting here. It's not even remotely new, but I totally get why nobody would ever know it's there lol.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but Mon/Tues look very spring like and balmy around NE. 

That's the type of pattern in mid April you pray for (tho seldom get...) where softly forced off-shore breezes combine with the season's first +5 to +10C, 850 air, under low RH full sun.  Temps explode to near 68 or 70F with any lingering snow melt water just flowing off fields and across roads.

Then a backdoor comes down and bangs ur azz for 7 days in drizzle, but I digress..  

Anyway, despite that synoptic appeal, MOS is unimpressive.  wondering if the low sun angle keeps it cooler relative to that appeal.  But then it looks like most guidance offer up a light cool rain shower system, because said system is running up into such a cold starved BL. We'll see what's happening after, but this may be a good 7 days to tune out and get into other hobbies while we reload. 

Ooph

low 40's valleys and coast 38-40 terrain..pretty meh

So everyone is taking a long Christmas nap? Nothing wintry happening until after the 25th? Well, its a good thing most of us will be busy with holiday stuff. Maybe there will be some winter by Orthodox Christmas (January 7). Makes me wish we didn't go over to the Western calendar about 50 years ago in this country.

It will be interesting too see if we can look back in 3-4 weeks and laugh at all this rain we have gotten in December, or if we will be dipping into the bath with a toaster in hand.

GFS blows for anyone wanting wintery precip in SNE verbatim. Rain, rain and more rain.

Obviously that will change, but it would be even nice to see a nice snowstorm depicted on the models at this point.

It will be interesting too see if we can look back in 3-4 weeks and laugh at all this rain we have gotten in December, or if we will be dipping into the bath with a toaster in hand.

GFS blows for anyone wanting wintery precip in SNE verbatim. Rain, rain and more rain.

Obviously that will change, but it would be even nice to see a nice snowstorm depicted on the models at this point.

GFS and Para are way different for the 20-21 storm. GFS is a rainstorm while the para is cold and dry for our area with the storm well to the south. GGEM has a coastal but it's well to the south.

Models still differ on timing with the 21-22nd storm.  The 18th looks like a more amplified clipper into the Great Lakes with a transfer to the Gulf of Maine.  This could intensify enough to push the baroclinic zone further southeast and allow the 21-22nd storm travel further southeast than modeled, or modeled like the EURO and EURO ensembles.

Archived