joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL 10/31 - 11/1 Obvs Thread

burgertime

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to those getting in on an early snow.  Good call from Lookout last night with pinpointing the specific area.

Here's a lone thunderbolt in upstate SC...based on the scale, it says this one occurred roughly 2 hours ago.  Thought there would be more of this.

2i8vsrk.gif

Thanks! I tell you, considering how complicated this system is (as with all upper lows) and how much climatology  argued against it, I have to say I'm really happy with the way it turned out from a expectations  perspective. Could not be happier with the area effected. Only thing I regret is not mentioning more in the way of  actual accumulations.  I personally thought to myself   there was a decent shot to get an inch or two somewhere in south carolina in one or two isolated spots  but i didn't want to be too bullish despite all the evidence pointing toward it..because it is november 1st after all. 

This was a once in a lifetime, and longer, system though. To think some of us witnessed something that has not been recorded and will not occur again in our lifetime, most likely anyway, is pretty amazing. I might have only got a little light snow and flurries but that feeling of "wow" is worth a lot more.

I'll have to hand it to the NAM, it nailed this storm for the upstate from 48 hours out.  It consistently showed the area from Greenville  down through laurens/newberry getting accumulating snow and it was spot on.  

It was also spot on with where it cutoff the heavy precip/snow which turned out to be 10 miles to my east. :axe:

I'll have to hand it to the NAM, it nailed this storm for the upstate from 48 hours out.  It consistently showed the area from Greenville  down through laurens/newberry getting accumulating snow and it was spot on.  

It was also spot on with where it cutoff the heavy precip/snow which turned out to be 10 miles to my east. :axe:

Overall I thought the nam and hrrr did very well indeed. Other than the nam being too cold over the nc foothills/piedmont in earlier runs, they both did a really good job imo.The hrrr hardly budged 5 miles in the back edge of precipitation around my neck of the woods for 15 runs in a row. As someone who hates forecast model snow forecasts and never give them much credence, the hrrr did a really good job in the location and amounts over the upstate/midlands consistently from run to run.

I'll have to hand it to the NAM, it nailed this storm for the upstate from 48 hours out. It consistently showed the area from Greenville down through laurens/newberry getting accumulating snow and it was spot on.

Yes it did. It continues to do well with ULL. It was sad to see Oconee dry for this event on the models but was dead on.

Overall I thought the nam and hrrr did very well indeed. Other than the nam being too cold over the nc foothills/piedmont in earlier runs, they both did a really good job imo.The hrrr hardly budged 5 miles in the back edge of precipitation around my neck of the woods for 15 runs in a row. As someone who hates forecast model snow forecasts and never give them much credence, the hrrr did a really good job in the location and amounts over the upstate/midlands consistently from run to run.

Yes it did and so did you  :wub:  I have had a dusting 3 times and it is still snowing. Just 5 miles up the road there is about 3+ inches on the ground  :lol:    I'm impressed   ^_^

Wow, to my Midlands people.. I busted horribly.  I really thought it'd be the "typical" situation and a brief rain snow mix/graupel event as the ULL passed.

Boy I was wrong.  Southern Lexington, towards Saluda SC are absolutely wrecked.  I was out and about.. power was out everywhere.  The roads were dangerous even into downtown Lexington proper.

Usually I bust in a bad way (not getting snow when expecting).  This time around myself, local weather guys, friends, everyone was absolutely taken by surprise.

I can't believe there are areas of 4-5" in Southern Lexington county on November 1st.

Lookout, you nailed it man!

Archived