joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL 10/31 - 11/1 Obvs Thread

burgertime

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably very,very rare that the mountains of NC , Upstate SC , Ga mtns, Columbia / Midlands area , all get their first snows at the same time!!?

NC mtns are usually months ahead of everyone else! If its already snowed in the mountains before now, I can't remember

Official Greenville total was 2.5 inches

Ok, so me and couple of buddies went up to Carvers Gap (my second visit in 24 hours span) around 2 pm and we saw mostly 2" of snow through Burnsville and Spruce Pines on way up. It wasn't until we hit 5,000 feet when road turned frozen solid and we had to climb up slowly until we reached Carvers Gap. Conditions was little intense up there with winds gusting around 40-45 mph and temperature in upper teens (therefore, wind chill was around zero). We decided to hike up to Round Bald on Appalachian Trail in near-blizzard conditions and we were blasted by snow and winds continuous nearly the whole hike since the bald was exposed to northwest. Rime ice was forming on our stuff including my Kestrel in which I used to record 39.5 mph gust at highest. The entire hike snow was mostly only few inches but that's because these strong winds were blowing away snow into drifts of 2-3 feet. Once we got back to our car, we went to Sam's Gap, and there, we measured 4-6 inches of snow. That's basically the summary of our trip today.

First four was at Carvers Gap/Round Bald and last two was at Sam's Gap:

KTCXxAb.jpg

qs25XXL.jpg

GnK1mVK.jpg

xsJuWyf.jpg

dlJlL2G.jpg

QuwNRJy.jpg

Ok, so me and couple of buddies went up to Carvers Gap (my second visit in 24 hours span) around 2 pm and we saw mostly 2" of snow through Burnsville and Spruce Pines on way up. It wasn't until we hit 5,000 feet when road turned frozen solid and we had to climb up slowly until we reached Carvers Gap. Conditions was little intense up there with winds gusting around 40-45 mph and temperature in upper teens (therefore, wind chill was around zero). We decided to hike up to Round Bald on Appalachian Trail in near-blizzard conditions and we were blasted by snow and winds continuous nearly the whole hike since the bald was exposed to northwest. Rime ice was forming on our stuff including my Kestrel in which I used to record 39.5 mph gust at highest. The entire hike snow was mostly only few inches but that's because these strong winds were blowing away snow into drifts of 2-3 feet. Once we got back to our car, we went to Sam's Gap, and there, we measured 4-6 inches of snow. That's basically the summary of our trip today.

First four was at Carvers Gap/Round Bald and last two was at Sam's Gap:

KTCXxAb.jpg

qs25XXL.jpg

GnK1mVK.jpg

xsJuWyf.jpg

dlJlL2G.jpg

QuwNRJy.jpg

Great shots! Which Kestrel do you have, I was looking at getting one?

FOLLOWING IS THE SMOKY MOUNTAIN TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION
INFORMATION, VALID FOR A 24 HOUR PERIOD ENDING AT 7:30 AM.

STATION           ELEV    HIGH  LOW   PCPN     SNOW DEPTH     NEW SNOW

SUGARLAND CENTER  1600    52    28      MM         T            0.5
NEWFOUND GAP      5000    24    17      MM        12            5.0
CADES COVE        1900    32    MM    0.05         1            0.5
OCONALUFTEE       2040    MM    MM      MM        MM             MM
MOUNT LECONTE     6400    17     9      MM        22            6.0

Turning into quite a little storm...

2 mins ·

Here's the 12 UTC OPC Atlantic surface & wind/wave analysis chart. Note the hurricane force low in the Western Atlantic as well as the high seas created as a result.

The latest OPC Atlantic offshore text forecasts can be found here, http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/NFDOFFNT1.shtml & here, http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/NFDOFFNT2.shtml. The OPC Atlantic high seas text forecasts can be found here, http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/NFDHSFAT1.shtml.

1891563_776342562424477_1384863531051603
10608728_776342572424476_713064123144455
LikeLike · · Share

We were in Lexington SC, near the Country Club. We had easy 4" and reports from Gilbert, just a couple miles away was 6". It was a very heavy wet snow with flakes from a quarter to half dollar in size.

In the state of South Carolina...it was a narrow path just west of I-26. Travelers Rest, Piedmont, Simpsonville, Lauren's, Clinton, Greenwood, Lexington all got accumulating snow. Places like Greer, Spartanburg, Union, Columbia didn't have even a trace.

The heaviest snow for sure was in the Lexington/Gilbert area.

Archived