• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

Is CT expecting these storms before the AM commute?

Could actually coincide with the AM commute.  Although I think the timing specifics are still a little unknown at this time.  But for CT I would say from like 4 AM (at the earliest) to 8 AM from west to east.  Although we probably can't rule out activity (isolated...discrete?) developing as early as 2-3 AM.  very delicate scenario right now with all that

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that EHI values?  I may be wrong but when it comes to EHI values I believe SIG TOR's typically occur just to the east of the highest EHI values.  

NOTE:  I'm not saying we will see a strong tornado or saying one will occur in RI or eastern MA...just stating something I believe was conducted in research...although the study was more for the mid-west.

Forecast Parameter of Available Storm Energy and Tendency for Rotation, valid at 6 AM, shows Connecticut with the highest combination of both strong storm indications:

6a00d83451c01c69e201b8d079132c970c-800wi

Almost looks like that initial round of convection early on the high res models (NAM, HRRR, RAP) sort of screw things up for when the best shear moves in around 9z back this way. A quick stabilization from the dying initial batch of convection before things are able to turn recover. 

I definitely think the latest high res stuff is a bit discouraging. 

The HRRR keeps showing different solutions. For a while it was an MCV-like feature, now it's showing crapvection flying through with some semi-discrete cells popping 5-6 a.m. behind it...Mainly SE of I-84, but a few blips up the CT River valley too.

The only thing I'm taking out of this is that there appears to be at least a slight shift southeast for any enhanced threat. Instability is killed inland by the initial slug. Maybe it's more of a GON-PVD-BOS and east deal, believe it or not. It takes an odd setup to favor SE New England.

Initialized soundings show some pretty steep lapse rates down by WAL and back west across BUF, DTX, and PIT (to a degree).  We want these to stay in tack as this will help boost instability.  

Like Scott, Ryan, and Quincy mentioned, have to watch the initial stuff b/c if it overturns the atmosphere we really might not recover in time...this is for much of CT into portions of central MA.  

I think everything still looks fine for RI and SE MA 

Archived