joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered what I would do if I was under a TOR warning and the strongest rotation was literally right over me or near me...I'd be afraid to go into the basement b/c there are so many spiders and webs.  Plus if the foundation crumples its tons of brick falling on me.  

Best to take your chances on the roof instead of the basement.  That's what they always tell you in TOR situations.  Go high, not low.

Interesting to note how the shear increases during the morning too. The upper jet moves north over the area around 12z, not that shear/helicity is anything to scoff at prior to 12z. After that hour though, it increases pretty dramatically, which is why it could get pretty volatile on the eastern coastal plain if that instability is realized.

I think Ryan mentioned it a ways back too, 0-1 km shear vectors are in excess of 30 knots (close to 50 in some cases in NH) so significant spin ups are a possibility.

It could be...I never peaked out the window. 

This event if a future conference topic if it delivers. Significant severe setup with southerly winds for eastern portions. This is a first for me. We would usually be banging our heads on the keyboard with this wind direction. I'm glued to the potential. This favors almost all of Eastern Mass too.

This event if a future conference topic if it delivers. Significant severe setup with southerly winds for eastern portions. This is a first for me. We would usually be banging our heads on the keyboard with this wind direction. I'm glued to the potential. This favors almost all of Eastern Mass too.

Don't get too excited yet. I want to see the near term mesos still hint at this. I can't see a model fail this close, but it only takes a small change in parameters to screw things up.

Is lower better as far as the position of the lapse rates are concerned?

Both are pretty good, just showing that the instability is rooted lower in the atmosphere than for a typical warm season severe weather event. Which is probably to be expected this time of year.

There's some sort of N-S boundary just east of Worcester right now that a couple light showers are firing on. Appears that dews east of the boundary are in the upper 50s, while dews west of the boundary are roughly 55.

Remind me what sites those soundings are from again?

Those are from SPC's website. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/

Don't get too excited yet. I want to see the near term mesos still hint at this. I can't see a model fail this close, but it only takes a small change in parameters to screw things up.

So far trends are all in the right direction (for those that like these sorts of events). SREF has been a slow and steady increase in parameters since 21z on the 5th if you view the Dprog/Dt.

SPC WRF 12z run is the next thing I'm interested in seeing.

So far trends are all in the right direction (for those that like these sorts of events). SREF has been a slow and steady increase in parameters since 21z on the 5th if you view the Dprog/Dt.

SPC WRF 12z run is the next thing I'm interested in seeing.

GFS too, although it slowed a bit from 06z, but looks a bit better. I agree that so far things are coming together. I'd like to see the 12Z mesos (SPC WRF, NMM, ARW etc) as well as the RAP continue to hit it. I mean at this stage, can't really ignore things. Looks like your WFO is going to have fun as well.

GFS too, although it slowed a bit from 06z, but looks a bit better. I agree that so far things are coming together. I'd like to see the 12Z mesos (SPC WRF, NMM, ARW etc) as well as the RAP continue to hit it. I mean at this stage, can't really ignore things. Looks like your WFO is going to have fun as well.

Low topped squall line looks most likely, but like I've been saying a brief tornado can't be ruled out. It really isn't often we're staffing up in the morning.

Archived