• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

I'd like to see their wording or probabilities a bit more impressive before I go too nuts with the threat on air is that I was saying lol

We just had a webinar yesterday in fact on these low probability, high impact events and how to better communicate them. One of the real problem areas for all mets, not just NWS.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically it's a sign that steeper mid level lapse rates are working into the area. Typically they will form just above the cap.

As the saying around the NWS goes, "ACCAS by 8, day shift stays late." When you have it early in the day, you know you have a cap in place and all day long to bake the ground beneath the cap. Think loaded gun.

In our case this morning, it's just a sign that we do have some decent lapse rates aloft to work with.

Thanks for the great explanation!

We just had a webinar yesterday in fact on these low probability, high impact events and how to better communicate them. One of the real problem areas for all mets, not just NWS.

Yup. It's really challenging. First thing I thought of this morning after getting up and looking at the models briefly on my phone was "how the heck is the best way to communicate this on air today."

Not easy. 

Yup. It's really challenging. First thing I thought of this morning after getting up and looking at the models briefly on my phone was "how the heck is the best way to communicate this on air today."

Not easy. 

The OCMs here are basically just regurgitating the SPC or AFD it seems. Not that I'm saying it needs to be hyped, but I find that very few ever give their own thoughts. 

Was that really ACCAS? SPC meso page was pretty paltry on lapse rates earlier, but the Albany sounding seemed ok for it. I thought usually it indicated steeper rates than 6-6.5C/KM

They definitely had that ACCAS look. ALY would definitely support some, CHH definitely had some steeper lapse rates but they were all below 600 mb.

Sounds like the issue (if there is one) is potential pre-frontal rains ruining the setup?

I don't think that will be a mitigating factor in this set up. Because we're not really relying on insolation for developing instability, a little rain in the warm sector shouldn't hurt things. As long as we can advect the high theta-e air mass into New England there should be enough instability for some stronger storms.

The whole thing is odd. :lol: But, the models sort of show it. 

What really strikes me is the degree of instability looking to surge inland.  We often see setups with similar dynamics and such but not too often with this degree of instability.  Seems like the sfc low track is absolutely perfect to allow for that higher theta-e air to surge inland.  Plus we have a maturing cyclone passing to the NW...too many times we'll see a cyclone in it's dissipating stage and that's never good...especially when you want the warm front to blow north

What really strikes me is the degree of instability looking to surge inland.  We often see setups with similar dynamics and such but not too often with this degree of instability.  Seems like the sfc low track is absolutely perfect to allow for that higher theta-e air to surge inland.  Plus we have a maturing cyclone passing to the NW...too many times we'll see a cyclone in it's dissipating stage and that's never good...especially when you want the warm front to blow north

Models between 09-12z really push the theta-e axis towards FIT. Some of the hi-res (ARW, NMM, local WRF) really surge things into southern NH.

I always wondered what I would do if I was under a TOR warning and the strongest rotation was literally right over me or near me...I'd be afraid to go into the basement b/c there are so many spiders and webs.  Plus if the foundation crumples its tons of brick falling on me.  

I'd take my chances with the spiders I think.

Models between 09-12z really push the theta-e axis towards FIT. Some of the hi-res (ARW, NMM, local WRF) really surge things into southern NH.

I think this is a case where you would have to buy that scenario...typically I would be hesitant to believe that but I think alot of things are in place which favors that occurrence.  

Archived