joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just getting caught up this morning and... Jesus. What a bizarre setup. To get this kind of setup overnight is just so odd. With SSTs warm still october can give you weird things like this I guess.

Yeah. Now I'm like...what could mess this up. :lol:  I guess having it be strongly forced and go linear. At that point, might have your QLCS spin-up I guess.

Man..for Scooter to start a severe wx thread..in October no less..means this is a very real threat and folks had damn well better pay attn..despite what Ginx says

Hey I just thought the setup was interesting. It could line out and we have shwrs/tstms too. But, the models are throwing out impressive numbers. Everything needs to be timed right.

This is about as uneasy of a situation I can think of with regards to convection in southern New England.  Climo and timing of day just are not favorable at all.  I mean we have had severe weather and tornadoes occur at night before and in October before but never really at night during the month of October.  

With this said, the ingredients are there and everything is in place for the possibility of severe weather including tornadoes, it's just a matter of whether or not everything is realized.  Too see mesomodels spitting out discrete is something I think that "elevates" the awareness of this situation.  

Something like that. Would like to see the GFS more impressive, but the SREFs which have done well in the past, are hitting it pretty hard.

I don't know how accurate of a statement this is as it's but what I've noticed with the GFS is (with regards to New England) it never seems to handle nocturnal convection setups really well, especially with regards to instability.  The GFS seems to always want to stabilize the atmosphere much, much faster than other models.  Not saying this so we throw out the GFS or anything...just an observation I've noticed.  

One big key feature to watch is the 500mb winds as it rounds the base of the trough.  The NAM is much less bullish with regards to the MLJ streak at 500mb and begins to weaken the winds as the streak rounds the base of the trough indicating a system which may be undergoing some weakening.  The GFS, on the other hand, is much stronger with the winds and you actually what appears to be a "duo jet streak"...I think there is a word for that but I can't remember it.  if that were to verify that could play a huge role and be something favorable for enhanced development...I believe that would really increase upward motion.  Also, the timing of the nose of that feature could really help out as well.  

It also looks as if the nose of the LLJ may coincide with the timing of the nose of the MLJ as well...something else to watch out for.  

GFSvsNAM500mbwinds_zpsf0ebdfba.jpg

That's going to be a huge question too...are we looking at more discrete type activity or are we going to be dealing with more linear action with embedded mesos possible? 

Well with the shear, you can always get spin ups. I don't expect to see discrete stuff that much, but could be some. This isn't really something that would have cells that discrete IMO. It's a strong s/w moving through so it wouldn't surprise me to have a line with a few cells ahead of it.

Wiz - I'm not so sure the specifics about the orientation of the h5 jet streak matters all that much. Very strong synoptic forcing, enough instability, and very strong 0-1 and 0-3km shear are more important. The biggest discrimator between tornadic and non-tornadic tends to be that low level shear. 

Archived