e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, just making sure all the windows are closed and stuff is secure outside.

Hopefully we can get some nice storms without a tornado

I always put as many light objects as possible on the deck before a storm with wind potential, I like to maximize my chances of being struck by debris when I go out to watch.

Damage at the house? That was a real cool event.

The  rare N to S moving severe t-storms came down from S VT.  When I looked at the radar I immediately ran outside and started bringing stuff in.

Lost a few of the towering pines out back but none on the house thankfully. No power for 2-3 days.  Next door neighbors lost 25-30 trees and just as many were down on the next street over. The white pines were clapping together like drums.  Wind went from gusty to house rattling in seconds.  Only time I've ever gone to the basement.  lol  Had to wait until dawn to see the damage and dozens of neighbors were all out just wandering around. 

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/storms_force_greenfield_to_dec.html

That type of back-veer-back profile in the low levels would be quite problematic for tornadic potential.

There's no doubt about that. However, I think CHH is a bit too far east to be in the greatest threat zone. The low/mid levels are more veered as you move northwest. Likewise, the stronger wind shear is also displaced NW of the stronger instability, which is forecast to reside over the Cape and islands.

This is not a clear-cut setup, but I still think there is an enhanced tornado threat from eastern CT into RI and eastern Mass., NW of the CC canal.

There are only a very limited number of stations that run the HRRR soundings, so the pickings are slim.

There's no doubt about that. However, I think CHH is a bit too far east to be in the greatest threat zone. The low/mid levels are more veered as you move northwest. Likewise, the stronger wind shear is also displaced NW of the stronger instability, which is forecast to reside over the Cape and islands.

This is not a clear-cut setup, but I still think there is an enhanced tornado threat from eastern CT into RI and eastern Mass., NW of the CC canal.

There are only a very limited number of stations that run the HRRR soundings, so the pickings are slim.

FWIW TOR warning was issued in S NJ

Archived