12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize micros are called micro for a reason..but it seems quite odd that there's trees down right up to the edge of the road, but on the other side of the road..there's not a tree, limb, or leaf that was touched. Maybe it's different in another view or farther down the road

That doesn't look tornadic though. 

The homeowner sits in the adjacent office to mine in the MIRSL main office. She's going to be pissed at us for not staying up to run the phased array last night.

http://www.wggb.com/2014/10/08/high-winds-bring-tree-down-on-hadley-home/

damn, you can see the sheared branch on that tree above her house, that sucks, I know. homeowners is a pain in the butt to deal with. You have to make the emergency repair first then get reimbursed, bureaucracy. Good thing I had carpenter friends and family, appears she does too.

I realize micros are called micro for a reason..but it seems quite odd that there's trees down right up to the edge of the road, but on the other side of the road..there's not a tree, limb, or leaf that was touched. Maybe it's different in another view or farther down the road

Wind can do weird things. Some trees are naturally resistant to wind, some are hardened because of their exposure to certain wind directions. It's possible the trees on the low side of the road were hardier than those on the uphill. And at some point the wind has to dissipate.

Wind can do weird things. Some trees are naturally resistant to wind, some are hardened because of their exposure to certain wind directions. It's possible the trees on the low side of the road were hardier than those on the uphill. And at some point the wind has to dissipate.

yep and of course the road stopped the domino effect, see some root balls exposed there too, neat stuff.

Looking at a zoomed in pic it appears the very strong winds at shear height were above the trees across the road as the slope fell, you can see the tips across the street correlate with the shear heights on the other side. So basically the downburst flattened out vertically and the down slope was below the momentum.

Looking at a zoomed in pic it appears the very strong winds at shear height were above the trees across the road as the slope fell, you can see the tips across the street correlate with the shear heights on the other side. So basically the downburst flattened out vertically and the down slope was below the momentum.

What?

This is about as uneasy of a situation I can think of with regards to convection in southern New England.  Climo and timing of day just are not favorable at all.  I mean we have had severe weather and tornadoes occur at night before and in October before but never really at night during the month of October.  

With this said, the ingredients are there and everything is in place for the possibility of severe weather including tornadoes, it's just a matter of whether or not everything is realized.  Too see mesomodels spitting out discrete is something I think that "elevates" the awareness of this situation.  

Haven't we had thundersnow at night?

Hard to discern the details from that picture, but I find a coiple things to be a bit odd.  First, the trees dumped into the road appear to have most of their leaves, while those on the damaged hillside have almost none.  Second, there appears to be mighty few horizonal stems on that hillside, and none with foliage like that seen on the pavement, considering the small amount of trees still standing.  Had that area been recently cut over? (with a roadside buffer, now mainly destroyed?)  There are some brown patches on the hillside which would be consistent with dried up hardwood slash from an early summer harvest.  Wind going from a somewhat open stand of trees to an area densely forested can produce strange looking results.

Edit:  Ginxy's enlargement clarifies things a bit.  Those "brown patches" appear to be rootwads, and more horizontal stems can be seen, though perhaps still too few, IMO, for that area to have been densely forested pre-storm.  Some of the downed hillside trees look like conifers (hemlock) while most on the pavement look like broadleaved trees.  As others have noted, very impressive damage.

I'm still reviewing our radar from earlier today. It was strange how our strongest winds weren't associated with any of the heavier echoes. It does appear though that we had a pretty good dry punch that surged through behind some showers. This traces a good line through all the damage/power outage areas from EEN to IZG.

I'm still reviewing our radar from earlier today. It was strange how our strongest winds weren't associated with any of the heavier echoes. It does appear though that we had a pretty good dry punch that surged through behind some showers. This traces a good line through all the damage/power outage areas from EEN to IZG.

I actually wondered about that. With that trough swinging in negative and the mid level jet max punching in, could some sort of weird downward motion occur from all the DVM? 

I actually wondered about that. With that trough swinging in negative and the mid level jet max punching in, could some sort of weird downward motion occur from all the DVM? 

This path lines up so much better with the damage than the actual 50 dBZ echoes do.

post-44-0-03917100-1412786072_thumb.jpg

I don't think the environment was such that we were having huge, surging outflows south of the storms either. Any gusts were likely tight to the core of the updrafts.

Archived