12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Possible late season severe outbreak morning of 10/8/14

CoastalWx

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's bunk.  That station has to be using the "gain" settings in VWS because the VP2 doesn't report tenths of a MPH.

The other station on BCI reported a gust to 14.

It seems high to me, but at the same time he reported sheltering when it hit so I'm guessing it was awfully windy regardless.

These types of setups are extremely fragile and you have to understand how to approach them. If you go into these setups thinking or expecting widespread severe you will be vastly disappointed more times than not. At least in this part of the country, these setups aren't inclined to produce widespread severe....this includes when these setups have parameters elevated enough to warrant a possible tornado risk.

You have to expect little, however, prepare for the higher end scenarios...meaning prepare and warn of the potential which exists. Nothin wrong with understanding the potential but knowing the limits.

In this case we just weren't able to develop robust enough cape values to allow for updrafts to be mature enough to really work high enough to tap into and utilize the shear aloft. However, with this said there were cells that were able to do this and honestly what we saw occur as far as damage reports fits the bill for what we usually see with these setups.

Everything developed linear very quickly and storm Movement was sort of with the llvl flow so that's why rotation ass held to a minimum.

Found it... he admits it's not raw data in 2008 back when he was analyzing the 168mph gust (lol) he recorded.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=73532#post73532

That is interesting, I wonder what the correction factor is. I have no doubt there was some severe wind in there, but 70+ is significant and I don't like that being in the record unless it was truly legit.

Had 0.02" overnight and 0.08" total since 7 AM yesterday.  Typical - when everyone gets a good dump, my area gets its share, but when it's hit-or-miss, MBY seems always to land in the latter group.  Doppler estimated precip shows some 3-4" pixels not too far to my west and 2-3" a similar distance east.  C'est la vie.

That is interesting, I wonder what the correction factor is. I have no doubt there was some severe wind in there, but 70+ is significant and I don't like that being in the record unless it was truly legit.

He had that error of 168MPH and said the console reported 112, which does come out to 1.5x

So his gust of 76.5 today was 51

Archived