• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 2014 Banter

North Balti Zen

Speaking of pumpkin beers.....the uinta punk'n ale is really good.

Southern Tier PUMPKING is awesome. It smells like pumpkin pie(to me), and has just the right amount of pumpkin and spice flavors in the background. Not at all sweet. 8.6% abv, so you get your beer value along with your food value. ;)

The other pumpkin beer I really like is Dogfish Punkin Ale. I've tried 2 or 3 others and nothing really stood out. Shock Top one was ok.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elysian's Dark O The Moon  (pumpkin stout) was pretty good.  A little heavy on the cinnamon, but at least it wasn't clove/allspice.

Schafly's was a solid "not too spicy" pumpkin.

I saw a bomber of Shipyard's bourbon barrel aged Smashed pUmpkin, but didn't feel like putting down $18 for it.

Hop and vines down the street from you off Piney O Pkwy has a nice selection of seasonal brews.

It looks like you have a good plan, and you're right that the extract makes for a tasty brew. It's always a good sign when you start hearing the first "glub, glub, glub" from the fermenter. What are you fermenting in? I usually do a primary in a 7 gallon bucket and I'm wondering how you can see it.

Thanks. I like to think I learn pretty quickly by doing something, and the level of comfort will go way up as I brew a couple more times, so I'm biding my time until I go the partial mash route.

My primary is a 6.5-gallon carboy, so you can see everything going on inside. It's really helpful for me to be able to see the process as it happens. The main problems with the carboy are getting cleaning it and carrying it with five gallons of liquid in it (just a *little* unwieldy!). It can also be a little tricky to get wort into it, but you can just siphon it or use a big funnel. Annapolis Home Brew has a deal where you can get the starter kit and exchange the bucket for the carboy for a little extra. Made sense to me to do it that way.

You're right on first hearing the airlock gurgling away. Such a good feeling that you've done enough to at least have something to drink at some point!

Prepare for the most epic winter in history.  The Cowboys are 5-1 and playing like the early 90s Cowboys, and it rained in Stephens City.  Clearly, hell has frozen over.  Just imagine what that means for all of us at higher elevation.

Wonder what it means for all of us at <100 feet? And have faith. The Cowboys will end up 8-8 as usual. ;)

Prepare for the most epic winter in history. The Cowboys are 5-1 and playing like the early 90s Cowboys, and it rained in Stephens City. Clearly, hell has frozen over. Just imagine what that means for all of us at higher elevation.

Last time they started 5-1 DC got 4.9" of snow that winter. Sounds about right.

Plenty of model threads from Ji went unlocked. It's just an attempt to start a discussion around an interesting subject (early freeze). Who cares?

Talking about snow on the 300+ hr GFS is banter.  If he wanted to talk about how the GFS suddenly has a colder look for late this weekend, it could have gone in the obs or freeze thread.  I'm with Ian on this one.

Archived