joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2014 Banter

North Balti Zen

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting here drinking Monster+ Vodka, and the friggin fruit flies were being complete nuisances. Got a bowl, filled it with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of Dawn to reduce surface tension, and now I am sitting here watching these things dive in and sink like stones. Trapped 25 in about 45  mins. Done this before, but never worked this well.

Going to the game today with Matt.  It's gonna be cold.

Nice.  Where are your seats?

My first-ever batch of homebrew is currently fermenting in the basement after having been brewed yesterday.

Mmmm...beer.

I made a Pumpkin Ale last month that turned out really good.  Not too much spice and good pumpkin flavor.  I've done a lot of homebrews, but this was only my second all-grain recipe so I was pleased.  Be patient with the fermentation. Are you doing only a primary, or are you doing a secondary down the road?

Awesome. Those are great seats, and also my section. If I see you guys, there's a beer in it for you.

Nice. We'll be the guys who look out of place. (Unless we find some cheap orioles hats).

He's probably one of these Yankee fans (*coughcough*Mappy's husband*coughcough*) who has stepped foot in NYC maybe once or twice and finds some distant connection, i.e., my uncle's daddy's brother lived in NYC to justify Spanks fandom. Jumped on the bandwagon of a winning team, etc... It's why when you look at the national map of MLB team loyalties, Spanks fans are often 2nd or 3rd most abundant in almost every location in the country.

Karma?

If you don't own any orange (and who in DC would ever be caught dead wearing orange?), go with black.

Also, I just sent you a PM.

Good to meet you! Sorry so brief. Had to get back to my dog or could have stayed after the game.

The Royals have that look. Dare I say, team of destiny? Everything be breaking their way, and they are young and confident right now. Os need to find a way to break the momentum...quick. Baseball is hard to figure sometimes. If they could pull out a game in the late innings or extras like KC has been doing, could turn the series around.

I made a Pumpkin Ale last month that turned out really good. Not too much spice and good pumpkin flavor. I've done a lot of homebrews, but this was only my second all-grain recipe so I was pleased. Be patient with the fermentation. Are you doing only a primary, or are you doing a secondary down the road?

Nice. I'm not a huge pumpkin and/or spiced ale person, but I can appreciate the beers. I'm doing a California Common (steam) beer - more up my alley and fairly easy to do. I went the beginner's route with an extract with steeping grain kit, but I've heard the they can turn out quite nice. I hope to eventually get to all-grain, but I'll likely get there via partial mash. I'm jealous of those who can place larger grain orders and really bring the price down.

I'm not doing a secondary. I'm not overly concerned about the clarity, and I didn't want to introduce any unnecessary complications into my first brew. I may choose to do it at some point in the future as I get more comfortable with everything.

I've been gone all day and had to check again when got home - it's really bubbling away now. The interesting thing is to see how the fermenting wort has its own currents - like it's alive!

Nice. I'm not a huge pumpkin and/or spiced ale person, but I can appreciate the beers. I'm doing a California Common (steam) beer - more up my alley and fairly easy to do. I went the beginner's route with an extract with steeping grain kit, but I've heard the they can turn out quite nice. I hope to eventually get to all-grain, but I'll likely get there via partial mash. I'm jealous of those who can place larger grain orders and really bring the price down.

I'm not doing a secondary. I'm not overly concerned about the clarity, and I didn't want to introduce any unnecessary complications into my first brew. I may choose to do it at some point in the future as I get more comfortable with everything.

I've been gone all day and had to check again when got home - it's really bubbling away now. The interesting thing is to see how the fermenting wort has its own currents - like it's alive!

It looks like you have a good plan, and you're right that the extract makes for a tasty brew.  It's always a good sign when you start hearing the first "glub, glub, glub" from the fermenter.  What are you fermenting in?  I usually do a primary in a 7 gallon bucket and I'm wondering how you can see it.

Archived