• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

52 or 53". I'd have to dig up the thread from last winter to be exact. I do know that I got about 12" less than Winchester (6 miles N), and similarly less than Front Royal (10 miles SE).

Try living near Annapolis. We get 5" of mush, while 30 miles NW gets 15" of powder. Or we just get rain lol. I'll take your climate any day.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know topography makes a huge difference in CA, but still--- I can't recall ever seeing this anywhere. There is a Heat Advisory and a Frost Advisory (for the valleys) separated by only one county right now. 

That is interesting. Hayfork...low 37, high 87. Valley location plus clear skies and 10% humidity. Reminds me a bit of Yellowstone when I was there a few years ago in late July. Highs in the mid 90s, lows in the 40s. Super low dewpoints.

As a region we do better w/ temps (and ratio and p-type) due to our interior location and modest elevation.  Moisture...nasomuch. 

My problem is more imby than a region problem.  It's always drier in the town of Stephens City... for some reason.  

I know the valley gets 'rain-shadowed' from both directions due to the mountains east and west, but why it is SO much more in your general area I have no idea. That is an arid September you had....

I know the valley gets 'rain-shadowed' from both directions due to the mountains east and west, but why it is SO much more in your general area I have no idea. That is an arid September you had....

Yeah, the valley is 'rain shadowed' as a whole, but other parts of the valley are still wetter than me.  Doesn't seem to be any geographic differences between me, Winchester, Martinsburg.....elevation similar, width of the valley fairly similar, etc.  Yet, they are usually wetter, especially in convective-type events.  

Nice cool shot imminent this weekend and early next week. Model war down the line. Euro ens set on modest ridging returning with lowest heights out West. Gefs wants to keep the trough axis centered in the middle and eastern conus with much cooler temps compared to the euro.

Will be interesting to see who wins. Both have been set in their ideas for 2-3 days.

GEFS is moving towards the euro ens d9-15. Lowest heights in the center and western part of the conus and we're going to be AOB on temps. Not heat or anything. Oct may end up AN on the means for temps but nothing crazy is my wag. Long ways to go.

GEFS is moving towards the euro ens d9-15. Lowest heights in the center and western part of the conus and we're going to be AOB on temps. Not heat or anything. Oct may end up AN on the means for temps but nothing crazy is my wag. Long ways to go.

GEFS is retrograding the big western ridge out towards Alaska, hence putting the trough axis farther west as well.  

I think frost is a legit possibility in some colder spots Sunday morning if the winds die down enough.  

GEFS is retrograding the big western ridge out towards Alaska, hence putting the trough axis farther west as well.

I think frost is a legit possibility in some colder spots Sunday morning if the winds die down enough.

Yea, frost is almost likely nearby on sunday or even Monday night if the conditions are right.

Euro ens have the same retrograding pattern. I've noticed that ensembles get too smooth with that kind of progression unlike typical progressive patterns. It will likely change a good bit as we approach medium range. Could get a bit stormy on the west coast if things go down like that. Hopefully central and southern CA can get some rain. Man they need it.

Archived