joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a long way to go to even drop below 35. IMO, not overly impressed with this cold airmass such as it is.

As usual we will get a highly modified version of it, especially in the Lee, but it has been quite impressive around the country. Nothing historic here I don't think, but nice to see. Much more impressive though to our west, even into Tennessee and Arkansas.

As usual we will get a highly modified version of it, especially in the Lee, but it has been quite impressive around the country. Nothing historic here I don't think, but nice to see. Much more impressive though to our west, even into Tennessee and Arkansas.

Lows in the teens and highs in the 30s, even for a day , is almost unheard of in the middle of winter, so to have it in Mid November , is historical! In these parts

Average high at CLT is 62. Brad Panovich is calling for 37. It's the equivalent of a high of 25 dead winter.

Some folks just like to get a rise out of other folks...that's just the way it is.  I wonder what would be said if we were seeing a +25 departure...high of 87.  Actually, don't answer that, because I know what would be said.

Lows in the teens and highs in the 30s, even for a day , is almost unheard of in the middle of winter, so to have it in Mid November , is historical! In these parts

Highs in the 30s and lows in the teens happens at least  3 or 4 times a winter in GA. Surely upstate SC has just as many if not more days like this. We usually even have a couple days each winter when the high doesn't make it to freezing.

Apparently for some folks it would take a temperature of absolute zero to impress! Good news, if that happened it would shut them all up!

Right. Still though for late nov anyone who says the cold is not impressive enough needs to move further north point blank. Yeah it might not be inyby but for the Great Lakes to be icing over already this early is impressive.

Average high at CLT is 62. Brad Panovich is calling for 37. It's the equivalent of a high of 25 dead winter.

Probably more along the lines of low 20s but thats hypothecial. Still though to some that might not be cold enough. 

People need to check the calenendar its only Nov... with most places in the SE finally getting out of the cold for good around late april or early may. Then again those that are complaining now about the lack of cold will be the sames to be about the cold come March/April.

Some folks just like to get a rise out of other folks...that's just the way it is.  I wonder what would be said if we were seeing a +25 departure...high of 87.  Actually, don't answer that, because I know what would be said.

LOL, we'd be canceling winter.  Oh, wait, we're already canceling winter, so I guess it's no different!  :lmao:

This is so LOL worthy..... the people who are saying this cold snap isn't all that impressive. I know others have said it but come on people we are only in the middle of November. We could very easily be baking in the 70's and complaining that there is no cold air in sight or even on this side of the globe. I think I saw yesterday or the day before where 50% of the country was covered in snow? Come on people get a grip! We are going to fluctuate between warm and cool/cold for several more weeks. Enjoy the cold for the few days it is here and not worry so much about how impressive (or not) it is.

I am going to take advantage of the cold and put out my Christmas lights this afternoon.... most years I have to do it in shorts and a t-shirt!

Bring the cold, bring the snow!

Looks like we get a midnight high of 44. I wish they would exclude those from the records as it really skews the statistics. In fact, I wish they'd record average temperature as averaged across the day instead of the min and max, which can be sometimes be hit for only a very short period of time.

We're going to break a 100 year old record low tonight at RDU with a forecast low of 19. Places in the southeast have already gotten snow, breaking their record for the earliest snowfall ever in November. The average temp for the month is going to be below normal. Yes, it's going to warm up by this weekend, but anyone who thinks this month has been normal is just fooling themselves. And just because we might be warmer next week doesn't mean the temps can't crash the week after and doesn't mean winter is going to be warm. We have had plenty of big winter storms here right after a big warm up. Everything still points to this being a big winter. It's not even winter yet. It's still fall. Just wait and see when we get to December and then we have at least three months to get the good stuff. It's coming.

We're going to break a 100 year old record low tonight at RDU with a forecast low of 19. Places in the southeast have already gotten snow, breaking their record for the earliest snowfall ever in November. The average temp for the month is going to be below normal. Yes, it's going to warm up by this weekend, but anyone who thinks this month has been normal is just fooling themselves. And just because we might be warmer next week doesn't mean the temps can't crash the week after and doesn't mean winter is going to be warm. We have had plenty of big winter storms here right after a big warm up. Everything still points to this being a big winter. It's not even winter yet. It's still fall. Just wait and see when we get to December and then we have at least three months to get the good stuff. It's coming.

Who ARE you?

Looks like we get a midnight high of 44. I wish they would exclude those from the records as it really skews the statistics. In fact, I wish they'd record average temperature as averaged across the day instead of the min and max, which can be sometimes be hit for only a very short period of time.

That can also work in reverse; whereas the low temp is reached at the end of the day- before mid-night. This will actually happen for us tonight. we got down to 28 or 29 at RDU this morning but will most likely be lower than that tonight before mid-night.

This mornings Euro is showing another Alaskian Ridge day 7-10. Get ready for another blast around Thanksgiving as strong high pressure is showing up on the surface maps for the holiday.

Yes, WxSouth talked about that on facebook, too.

Sneak Peek Ahead: A warm up will begin late this week, especially the weekend from Texas eastward, with rain, but we don't have to look far to see the next Arctic Outbreak. I am suspicious of any warmups that last very long, atleast yet. The tendency is for Alaska ridges/western Ridges to keep popping up, just like last year, and when they do, it dislodges very cold air in the North Pole region to come straight down into the lower 48. The models have been heading that way recently. It fits with the pattern of the sea surface temp. anomalies and likely the theme of this upcoming Winter. By 10 days, another huge high of 1050 millibars. (following a Lakes Blizzard). This will go down as one of the coldest Novembers on record for the country. More on why this will be a repeating pattern in last night's discussion for the Winter pattern coming up--one that could turn severely Winterlike, at my site.

This mornings Euro is showing another Alaskian Ridge day 7-10. Get ready for another blast around Thanksgiving as strong high pressure is showing up on the surface maps for the holiday.

hopefully something can come out of the southwest on the backside of the trough after the cutter comes through. Either way thanksgiving looks below normal. So much for that warm thanksgiving some were touting. #model huggers.

Brad P has some interesting stats on twitter showing how unique and truly cold this airmass is.  Also, 70 inches of snow in NY, lake effect. I dream of such things. 

https://twitter.com/wxbrad

Also, it seems like the parallel GFS and the EURO are starting to catch on to cold reloading next week.  It does seem like it did that last year, the Alaskan ridge just never went away even though the models from time to time toyed with it.  Perhaps Robert is right and the we sustain that through the winter.  Makes sence considering the PDO and SSTs.

hopefully something can come out of the southwest on the backside of the trough after the cutter comes through. Either way thanksgiving looks below normal. So much for that warm thanksgiving some were touting. #model huggers.

Hold on a second.  What's up with the revisionist history?  I don't think a single poster was thinking/saying Thanksgiving was going to be warm.  It may in fact end up average, warm, or cool.  Trying to figure out if we will be in between cool shots, or in a cool transient shot is not possible to determine at this point.  I really think assuming that Thanksgiving will be below normal/above normal/normal is not a wise choice at this point.  Why do you say Thanksgiving looks below normal?  It appears to me that there are transient shots of cool coming and going on the models with some ups and downs as a result.  

The warm ups should be quick but the cool downs shouldn't last long either, JMO but everything looks very progressive to me and there is nothing to lock in any cold right now that I can see.

Archived