Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

58F here...perfect out...mix of sun and clouds..winds are a little below hurricane force.  I'll take 60F for a few months.  Can't complain..no need for heat, no ac... 

Extended looks mild/warm..NAEFS shows warming moving back in the extended half..probably finish sept warm...good thing we do have clouds around..should protect us against any frost.  Sat morning might be close, but looks more likely the coldest temps will stay north and east.

Last Friday's thunderstorms were cool. A good 3-4 hrs of continuous t-storms from about 6-10 pm. Those dropped 2" of rain. Yesterday's monsoon dropped another 2.75". So pretty close to 5" in 5 days. The ground is not coping well and the result is some fairly substational water in the finished part of the basement and me ripping up the carpet and underpad. Nothing cool about that........... but yesterday was rather remarkable. It may be the closest I get to a tropical storm. Incredibly muggy and the rain was wind driven and torrential and lasted for a good 5-6 hours.

Speaking of the Great Lakes, remember the gloom and doom about the extremely low lake levels? I just read this on Bill Steffen's blog:

"The water level of Lake Superior is up 1″ in the last month (at a time when the lake often loses water) and is now up 8″ in the past year.  Superior is now 7″ higher than the long-term average water level.  The water level of Lake Michigan/Huron (one lake for lake level purposes) is up another inch in the last week and (drum roll) the water level is now one inch ABOVE the average September lake level!  Get this…Lake Michigan/Huron is now 19 inches higher than it was one year ago, an unprecedented 12-month increase!  That’s a gain of 7.41 trillion gallons of water in just 12 months.  Lake Erie is 6″ higher than it was one year ago and 6″ above the average water level.  Lake Ontario is unchanged in the last year and 3″ above the average water level.  Lake St Clair is up 11″ year-to-year and is 7″ above the September average level."

Speaking of the Great Lakes, remember the gloom and doom about the extremely low lake levels? I just read this on Bill Steffen's blog:

"The water level of Lake Superior is up 1″ in the last month (at a time when the lake often loses water) and is now up 8″ in the past year.  Superior is now 7″ higher than the long-term average water level.  The water level of Lake Michigan/Huron (one lake for lake level purposes) is up another inch in the last week and (drum roll) the water level is now one inch ABOVE the average September lake level!  Get this…Lake Michigan/Huron is now 19 inches higher than it was one year ago, an unprecedented 12-month increase!  That’s a gain of 7.41 trillion gallons of water in just 12 months.  Lake Erie is 6″ higher than it was one year ago and 6″ above the average water level.  Lake Ontario is unchanged in the last year and 3″ above the average water level.  Lake St Clair is up 11″ year-to-year and is 7″ above the September average level."

yes, L MI is now 1" higher than the long term seasonal average.  First time in nearly 14 years it's above average.

The temp has been in the 50s all day since 4am, but thanks to the timing of the frontal passage, the high at midnight was 74F. Nevertheless, the fall nip in the air today, along with the dark stratus, gave me a mad case of Fall Fever! I have noticed tons of trees starting to get some color too.

Here are some pics I took over the weekend in Mackinac. First pic is the storm I got caught in on the way up just north of Saginaw (though not near the severe outbreak Detroit would see hours later), the rest of from the sunny weekend by the bridge.

4084-800.jpg

4085-800.jpg

4086-800.jpg

4087-800.jpg

4088-800.jpg

4089-800.jpg

4090-800.jpg

4091-800.jpg

4092-800.jpg

4093-800.jpg

Looks like today's high at ORD will be 56 (at midnight)...breaking the previous record low max for the day by 5 degrees.

If today's high at MKE remains 51, it will be the coldest high temp on record for so early in the season. The next earliest high temp of 51 or lower was on 9/15/1916 (50).

Yea...Record broken at ORD.

High of 56 broke the previous record of 61 (1940).

Archived