• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2014 General Discussion

Being up north this weekend, I missed the brunt of our most uncomfortable day of the year friday, & though we drove through a bad storm on the way up, I missed what sounded like a chaotic thunderstorm friday evening. Hundreds of thousands without power, huge trees down, many saying it was the worst storm they've seen in years.

Also, before I left, I was at my grandmas and kept getting pelted on the head, so I looked up, and two squirrels were going crazy in her oak tree knocking acorns down. The tree was loaded with them, the squirrels frantic....it reminded me of the old wives tales about acorns and a hard winter. Hey, it worked last year!

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lol'd through this article. Buy your bread and milk now.

http://empirenews.net/meteorologists-predict-record-shattering-snowfalls-coming-soon-bread-milk-prices-expected-to-soar/

“For the sake of comparison to the past winter, lets say that your area received a total of twenty inches of accumulative snow for the season. Because this year the snowfall is predicted to start by the end of September or the beginning of October, you can expect to multiply that number by up to five, ten, maybe even twenty times in some areas. In the worst zones, you could see 50 times the amount of snow you’ve had in the past."

http://empirenews.net/meteorologists-predict-record-shattering-snowfalls-coming-soon-bread-milk-prices-expected-to-soar/

“For the sake of comparison to the past winter, lets say that your area received a total of twenty inches of accumulative snow for the season. Because this year the snowfall is predicted to start by the end of September or the beginning of October, you can expect to multiply that number by up to five, ten, maybe even twenty times in some areas. In the worst zones, you could see 50 times the amount of snow you’ve had in the past."

attachicon.gifMeteorologists-Predict-Record-Shattering-Snowfalls.jpg

Never heard of it but some of the people in the comments section are saying it's like The Onion.  If not, I can expect at least 375" of snow this winter.  :D

Laughable at best...

95" x 50, sounds about right. That definitely has to be a satire article.

Yeah that's a satire article! lol. That would be unprecedented to have 50x average snowfall!

This however is a real prediction---

610temp.new.gif

Yeah that's a satire article! lol. That would be unprecedented to have 50x average snowfall!

This however is a real prediction---

A whole lotta blue/purple happening there.  Nothing like starting the fall season with a bang. Severe weather across the subforum Tuesday/Wednesday, followed by much below normals temps for several days after that.

I'm planning on enjoying the next two days of beautiful late summer weather around these parts.

EDIT: Yeah, I know that the Empire News article is satire. That's why I posted it here instead of the winter thread. I said that I lol'd all the way through it. Just for entertainment purposes. However, it kind of reminds me of the mindset of the general public who knows little about meteorology.

Sadly I am seeing the satire article passed around as fact on Facebook.... Sigh

O, great! Now everyone's is going to start thinking we're starting the next ice age this winter! If the article was even partially true, we'd probably have ice on Superior all of next summer! Lol.

Beautiful day today, looking forward to the drop in temps later in the week.

So much for a warm September. =(

GEFS ENSEMBLES SHOW A HIGH CONFIDENCE TREND
TOWARDS A -NAO/-AO REGIME STARTING THIS WEEKEND AND LASTING THROUGH
ALL OF NEXT WEEK. THIS IS COUPLED WITH CHANGES ALREADY UNDERWAY IN
THE PACIFIC...AS RECENT ROSSBY WAVE DISPERSION INTO THE MID
LATITUDES FROM TROPICAL CONVECTION OVER THE FAR WESTERN PACIFIC HAS
AMPLIFIED THE EAST ASIAN JET. THIS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE NEXT FEW
DAYS AS THE REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM FENGSHEN RE-CURVE EAST OF
JAPAN AND INTO THE NORTHWEST PACIFIC...WITH THAT INFLUX OF TROPICAL
ENERGY FORCING FURTHER AMPLIFICATION OF THE LONGWAVE PATTERN OVER
THE PACIFIC. THIS WILL CASCADE DOWNSTREAM AND AID IN STRONG
AMPLIFICATION OVER NORTH AMERICA...YIELDING A +PNA PATTERN IN MOST
ENSEMBLES. THE COUPLED +PNA AND -NAO PATTERN WILL PRODUCE AN
ANOMALOUS LONGWAVE TROUGH IN THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN STATES AND
FORCE BELOW AVERAGE TEMPERATURES TO LAST THROUGH THE DAY 8-14 PERIOD.

So much for a warm September. =(

GEFS ENSEMBLES SHOW A HIGH CONFIDENCE TREND

TOWARDS A -NAO/-AO REGIME STARTING THIS WEEKEND AND LASTING THROUGH

ALL OF NEXT WEEK. THIS IS COUPLED WITH CHANGES ALREADY UNDERWAY IN

THE PACIFIC...AS RECENT ROSSBY WAVE DISPERSION INTO THE MID

LATITUDES FROM TROPICAL CONVECTION OVER THE FAR WESTERN PACIFIC HAS

AMPLIFIED THE EAST ASIAN JET. THIS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE NEXT FEW

DAYS AS THE REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM FENGSHEN RE-CURVE EAST OF

JAPAN AND INTO THE NORTHWEST PACIFIC...WITH THAT INFLUX OF TROPICAL

ENERGY FORCING FURTHER AMPLIFICATION OF THE LONGWAVE PATTERN OVER

THE PACIFIC. THIS WILL CASCADE DOWNSTREAM AND AID IN STRONG

AMPLIFICATION OVER NORTH AMERICA...YIELDING A +PNA PATTERN IN MOST

ENSEMBLES. THE COUPLED +PNA AND -NAO PATTERN WILL PRODUCE AN

ANOMALOUS LONGWAVE TROUGH IN THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN STATES AND

FORCE BELOW AVERAGE TEMPERATURES TO LAST THROUGH THE DAY 8-14 PERIOD.

That disco was probably written by Jon Hitchcock, formerly of IWX. The dude knows his stuff. He is also very knowledgeable about Great Lakes weather.

The below normal beat goes on.

Archived