• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2014 General Discussion

It snowed at my friend's house in Edmonton, AB today. South of there in Calgary there's been some accumulation.

It's not far now.

6 inches in Calgary to be exact. Its funny because it was 78F in Calgary yesterday and today its below freezing, lol. Significant temperature change within 24 hours. It's not unheard of in that region, but September snow is just horrendous for summer enthusiasts, haha.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawkeye's getting smoked.  Storms really dumping on CR the last half hour to hour. 

Yeah, some nice cells over here.  The first few cells passed just a mile or two north of me(I live 2 miles due west of downtown CR), but the last one blew up and went right over me.  I picked up a nice 0.62".  There was no wind, but there may have been a few small pieces of hail, and it was nice to get some streaky lightning and big cracks of thunder.  It has been a while.

Yeah, some nice cells over here.  The first few cells passed just a mile or two north of me(I live 2 miles due west of downtown CR), but the last one blew up and went right over me.  I picked up a nice 0.62".  There was no wind, but there may have been a few small pieces of hail, and it was nice to get some streaky lightning and big cracks of thunder.  It has been a while.

Somewhere close to your location is gonna have some very impressive rainfall totals tonight.  Those storms aren't going anywhere, as they continually redevelop over the same general area.  LLJ is pointing into that area as well.

Somewhere close to your location is gonna have some very impressive rainfall totals tonight.  Those storms aren't going anywhere, as they continually redevelop over the same general area.  LLJ is pointing into that area as well.

Yeah, just north and east of CR continues to get trained by backbuilding storms.  Except for the one nice cell a couple hours ago, it's all bypassing me.

Hawkeye's getting smoked.  Storms really dumping on CR the last half hour to hour. 

Love those late night training thunderstorms. Great sleeping weather for me.

The overnight MCS barely moved and it's still going this morning.  The low level jet continues to feed the backside.  I picked up one inch.  Just west of me very little rain fell and just north and east of me 2-3 inches fell.

tonight will be even more impressive as the llj and divergence coupled with extreme pwats points to another 2-4" for your area

strong verbiage out of DVN for an anomalous event....not disagreeing...just "cool" to see....

THE HARDEST QUESTION TODAY IS HOW LONG THE CURRENT MCS LASTS.
TONIGHT IS A FLAT OUT GUARANTEED WIDESPREAD CONVECTIVE EVENT. SINCE
WE HAVE SEEN 1 TO 4 INCHES ALREADY OVERNIGHT...AND MORE MAY YET
FALL...THERE IS DEFINITELY A THREAT FOR FLASH FLOODING WITH THIS
WIDESPREAD EVENT TONIGHT. WPC IS FORECASTING A MODERATE RISK FOR
EXCESSIVE/FLASH FLOOD RAINS TONIGHT OVER OUR WESTERN 1/2...THUS A
WATCH IS JUSTIFIED.  SEVERE WEATHER MAY DECREASE AS IT APPROACHES
OUR CWA BUT CANNOT BE RULED OUT.   THE EVENT FORCING PEAKS BETWEEN
03Z AND 12Z TONIGHT...AND 100 PERCENT POPS ARE BEING USED. A
WIDESPREAD 1 TO 3 INCHES SEEMS LIKELY TONIGHT...ON TOP OF THE 1 TO
4+ INCHES THAT HAS FALLEN SO FAR THIS CURRENT NIGHT. FLASH FLOOD
HIGHLIGHTS WILL DOMINATE OUT PRODUCT SUITE TODAY.
ERVIN

NWS shows 55F for a high temp fri...brrrr

The 00z Euro slowed the Friday system down just a bit, keeping the 40s in nw Iowa and keeping more of eastern Iowa in the mid 50s to around 60 throughout the day.  More importantly, it keeps some clouds and wind across this area overnight Friday night, which would prevent any flirtation with frost.

you're going to get soaked tonight

12z 4km NAM says we get soaked too!

(From Skilling's FB wall)

1461041_10152614872811760_56247471702281

10703727_10152614873156760_9845465561836

There goes the flood watch for our area and southern WI.

FLOOD WATCH

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1210 PM CDT TUE SEP 9 2014

...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A FLOOD WATCH

FOR THE FOLLOWING RIVERS IN ILLINOIS...

DES PLAINES RIVER NEAR RUSSELL AFFECTING LAKE COUNTY

.HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT 36 HOURS PORTIONS OF NORTHERN

ILLINOIS. AMOUNTS OF UP TO TWO INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE BY WEDNESDAY

EVENING ACROSS THE DES PLAINES RIVER BASIN. THE FORECASTS ARE BASED ON

FORECAST PRECIPITATION FOR THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ILZ006-100510-

/O.NEW.KLOT.FL.A.0022.140911T2300Z-140915T2000Z/

/RUSI2.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

1210 PM CDT TUE SEP 9 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WATCH FOR

THE DES PLAINES RIVER NEAR RUSSELL

* FROM THURSDAY EVENING TO MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* AT 11:15 AM TUESDAY THE STAGE WAS 3.8 FEET.

* MINOR FLOODING IS POSSIBLE.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 7.0 FEET.

* FORECAST...FLOOD STAGE MAY BE REACHED BY THURSDAY EVENING. THIS

FORECAST IS BASED ON FORECAST PRECIPITATION OF UP TO TWO INCHES.

This is the storm total precipitation from the DMX radar tonight. Yellow is 3" and red is 5". Much of the 3-5" areas are under flash flood warnings. The KDVN radar estimated 5-7" for northeast of Iowa City in the last 2 days. Northwest Missouri got 5-7" of rain in just a few hours, where that HP supercell stalled the longest. (5 tornadoes reported in Missouri)

post-1182-0-28822300-1410326754_thumb.jp

I knew the incoming cool spell was gonna be cool, but didn't realize how significant it was until checking the point forecast.  DVN only has us reaching 55 on Friday with rain.  That's pretty damn cold for this early in the season.  Looks like it's gonna be hoodie weather for football this weekend.

A whole lotta blue/purple happening there.  Nothing like starting the fall season with a bang. Severe weather across the subforum Tuesday/Wednesday, followed by much below normals temps for several days after that.

I'm planning on enjoying the next two days of beautiful late summer weather around these parts.

EDIT: Yeah, I know that the Empire News article is satire. That's why I posted it here instead of the winter thread. I said that I lol'd all the way through it. Just for entertainment purposes. However, it kind of reminds me of the mindset of the general public who knows little about meteorology.

As I remember didn't last winter start off with the same bang like scenario.... Tornados and severe weather followed by non stop snow

Archived