• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2014 General Discussion

42˚ in the LAF. Thought about kicking on the heat this morning, but nah...too early for that nonsense. :lol:

ARR hit 36˚...MLI 37˚...DPA 39˚...IKK 39˚...RFD 39˚...UGN 39˚...ORD 41˚

I gotta think we have a shot at 30s tonight.  850 mb temps are a bit warmer but it looks like a better radiational cooling setup.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloud deck from the fetch off of Lake Michigan is thick all the way down here and the wind had an uncomfortable bite all morning wile working outside.  If that can clear out in my area I wouldn't be surprised to see 39 tonight here.  Don't know if I'll hit 60 today, 59 and holding.  Last winter was the first full winter for me here after 25 years in Fl. and SC.  Love the snow but that bitter cold about put me in a psyche ward.  Hope this isn't a sign of things to come temp wise this winter.

Got a chuckle from KIND discussion....

"SKIES ARE EXPECTED TO CLEAR OUT AFTER THE FRONTAL PASSAGE MONDAY

NIGHT AND TUESDAY WILL RETURN TO ANOTHER PICTURESQUE CHAMBER OF
COMMERCE CENTRAL INDIANA WEATHER DAY WITH HIGHS IN THE LOW 70S."

I have 38° for a low tonight for my grid. 60s for highs straight through the 19th.

Winds are already light, so it's going to get chilly soon!

Looks like Monday will be wet after noon.

LOT talking about scattered frost tonight.

.DISCUSSION...
315 PM CDT

MAIN FORECAST CONCERNS/CHALLENGES ARE WITH ANOTHER COLD NIGHT
TONIGHT...WITH FROST POSSIBLE ACROSS THE CWA.

QUIET BUT COOL AFTERNOON AS EARLY MORNING STRATUS LINGERED AND
THEN EXPANDED WITH STRATOCU STILL PRESENT OVER THE CWA. CONTINUED
CAA AND THIS CLOUD COVERED LIMITED DAYTIME WARMING TODAY WITH MOST
LOCATIONS ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA NOT
RISING OUT OF THE 50S TODAY. ANY LINGERING CLOUD COVER THIS
AFTERNOON WILL DIMINISH THROUGH THE EVENING WITH MOSTLY CLEAR
SKIES THEN EXPECTED TONIGHT. WITH HIGH PRESSURE CONTINUING TO
SHIFT EAST THIS EVENING AND THEN REMAINING SITUATED OVER THE CWA
TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING...SETUP FOR ANOTHER COLD NIGHT WILL BE
IN PLACE. SOME WEAK WAA IS STILL ANTICIPATED TONIGHT AS WINDS
BECOME MORE SOUTHERLY...BUT THIS SLIGHT WARMING MAY ARRIVE TOO
LATE TO HAVE AN OVERALL IMPACT ON LOW TEMPS TONIGHT. MADE ONLY
MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO MIN TEMPS TONIGHT MAINTAINING MID TO UPPER
30S ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS BUT DID LOWER TEMPS TO THE UPPER
30S OVER AREAS IN EAST CENTRAL ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA...AS
WELL AS EXPANDED MENTION OF FROST IN THE GRIDS. WITH WARMER
SURFACE TEMPS STILL IN PLACE AS WELL AS HIGHLY SATURATED
CONDITIONS OBSERVED OVER THE ENTIRE AREA...ANY FROST DEVELOPMENT
SHOULD REMAIN LIMITED TONIGHT AND HAVE NOT ISSUED ANY HEADLINES
THIS AFTERNOON BUT WILL CONTINUE MENTION IN THE ZONES/HWO.

Edit: Already down to 48° at 7:15pm.

18z NAM forecasted low tonight.

temp17.gif

The GFS is killin' it.

.....aaannnd the furnace is on. Couldn't handle 62 in the house.

Ha no shame in that.  I was actually looking forward to using the new furnace after years of the boiler which took forever to heat up the whole system.  Usually left it off until it was time to consistently need it.  With the new forced air heating system it's nice to be able to just kick on the heat and bam, it's toasty in minutes.  :guitar:

Went out and spent some time in the crisp evening air a little while ago.  Found a cool new location for some milky way shots at a desolate graveyard in the middle of BFE south of here.  Was very creepy, with an owl that kept hooting from somewhere in the woods behind me lol.

1z1gpxg.jpg

2urnss4.jpg

Ha no shame in that.  I was actually looking forward to using the new furnace after years of the boiler which took forever to heat up the whole system.  Usually left it off until it was time to consistently need it.  With the new forced air heating system it's nice to be able to just kick on the heat and bam, it's toasty in minutes.  :guitar:

Went out and spent some time in the crisp evening air a little while ago.  Found a cool new location for some milky way shots at a desolate graveyard in the middle of BFE south of here.  Was very creepy, with an owl that kept hooting from somewhere in the woods behind me lol.

1z1gpxg.jpg

2urnss4.jpg

Wow...Incredible pictures, thanks for posting. That first one belongs in a magazine or a movie or something lol.

KARB almost got down to freezing last night :P. I also learned from someone who's seen it in person that the station is actually in a relatively small, localized valley... So it's cold readings are likely explained by that rather than the general low-lyingness of the area.

Very nice pictures Cyclone.  You know how to work that camera.  And we have several BFE locations out this way too.  Some are kind of eerie late at night.

Sun is finally starting to break out. Hoping to get to 65°. Seems strange to be thinking that it will feel nice at this time of year.

Those are awesome shots! The graveyard adds a unique element to those pictures. It's hard to get that good of a view of the milky way in suburban Cleveland (or even SE Ohio) due to too much light pollution, so I haven't seen it that well since I was at Rice Lake in Canada, well north of Lake Ontario many years ago.

Hit 41 on campus this morning. I'm getting ready for it to get even colder than that.

Hit 37F at my house and KOZW. Howell airport hit 37F on this same date last year, was this the infamous frost squabble discussion anniversary? 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41017-september-2013-general-discussion/?p=2411842

Same setup this year and both the airport and my PWS both were within 1 Degree.

Low of 41° this morning. WAA kicked in during the wee hours of the morning, so not a chance of frost happening. Couple weeks though it's fair game.

Wonderful photos Cyclone! Wish the night skies were that dark around here to see the Milky Way!

Very nice pictures Cyclone.  You know how to work that camera.  And we have several BFE locations out this way too.  Some are kind of eerie late at night.

Sun is finally starting to break out. Hoping to get to 65°. Seems strange to be thinking that it will feel nice at this time of year.

Just making it past 60F made it seem warm.  That'll happen after three straight days stuck in the 40s and 50s.

Hit 37F at my house and KOZW. Howell airport hit 37F on this same date last year, was this the infamous frost squabble discussion anniversary? 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41017-september-2013-general-discussion/?p=2411842

Same setup this year and both the airport and my PWS both were within 1 Degree.

That's weird, I thought it felt exceptionally cold this morning at 43°F and thought "this has to be close to a record low" and then I checked and it was relatively close (the record was 37°F) and realized it actually was one degree colder on the same date last year than it was this morning.

Late freeze in may has limited the amount of good fruit on some of my trees. Normally i have a few week period when the migratory birds stop by and go to town on the sloppy seconds here in the fall...curious to see their reaction when they come on through here over the next month and find nothing. Also, gonna be a long winter for the possums and raccoons locally who usually start stocking up from my trees now.

Archived