Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After several days with october-like temps and november-like skies, we look to be entering a several day stretch of clear skies, lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. This is perfect timing for the fall color which has already begun, in that those conditions this time of year can make the colors extra vibrant.

Regarding the rainfall map...

That area is in for mud slides and rock slides! After the rain is over with, the landscape is going to be lush.

Sitting in the low 60s this afternoon with a lake breeze. Low ot 43° this morning with heavy dew over everything.

been in the UP north of Negaunee for the past two days at my new house.  currently 43 and low clouds/fog...  my elevation is nearly 1600' and leaf change here is 35%,  and with 3 frosts already, it's changing fast each day.  Hoping to get settled in and enjoy some of the area before it gets too cold.

been in the UP north of Negaunee for the past two days at my new house.  currently 43 and low clouds/fog...  my elevation is nearly 1600' and leaf change here is 35%,  and with 3 frosts already, it's changing fast each day.  Hoping to get settled in and enjoy some of the area before it gets too cold.

pics please.

From LOT - an amazing stat for Rockford:

AS FOR THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE SO FAR THIS CALENDAR YEAR...THROUGH
SEPTEMBER 16TH IT HAS BEEN 48.2 DEGREES. COMPARED TO OTHER YEARS
THROUGH THE MID-POINT OF SEPTEMBER...THIS RANKS AS THE 3RD
COOLEST YEAR-TO-DATE SINCE 1906
. THE TWO COOLER YEAR-TO-DATE
READINGS WERE IN 1979 AND 1912.

COOLEST YEAR-TO-DATE SINCE 1906. THE TWO COOLER YEAR-TO-DATE

Another cool stat for a record breaking year. Wonder how the rest of region faired??

COOLEST YEAR-TO-DATE SINCE 1906. THE TWO COOLER YEAR-TO-DATE

Indianapolis sitting in a tie for the 6th coolest calendar year-to-date on record, through September 16. 

1) 51.9˚ in 1885

2) 52.2˚ in 1979

3) 52.3˚ in 1875

4) 52.4˚ in 1963

4) 52.4˚ in 1904

6) 52.6˚ in 2014

6) 52.6˚ in 1912

6) 52.6˚ in 1924

9) 52.9˚ in 1958

10) 53.1˚ in 1960

Period of record: 1872 to 2014 

All the way up to 68° today. Still a little below normal.

Temperature departures for the region; month to date.

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

Great clear and crisp pictures Snow Freak!  :thumbsup:

I can't wait for Autumn colors to be in full swing!

Thanks....its my galaxy no less! I love my real camera, but phone cameras have come so far that you feel pretty good about never having to miss a photo op without your "real" camera nearby.

I too am pumped for Fall colors. I have a big case of fall fever. Already have had pumpkin pie, cider, and have been burning fall scented candles :lol:

That elevation is whats really going to help keep your snow pack and help with the lake effect snow. When ever I'm up that way it never seizes to amaze me the difference in snow depth from down by the lake shore to up in them hills. If your a skier, check out Marquette Mt. It's been years since I have been skiing there but I would like to go back, great views from up there.

That elevation is whats really going to help keep your snow pack and help with the lake effect snow. When ever I'm up that way it never seizes to amaze me the difference in snow depth from down by the lake shore to up in them hills. If your a skier, check out Marquette Mt. It's been years since I have been skiing there but I would like to go back, great views from up there.

I met with the former owners of the house to walk the property and I asked what the biggest snow they had seen while they lived there and she said it snowed 4' once without stopping (over a few days).  I think my heart fluttered..haha

I guess I'm in the sweet spot (a snow belt within a snow belt within a snow belt) :D

pics please.

I'm back in NW lower this morning to take another load up.  heading back  Saturday.   camera is packed somewhere but I will snap a couple pics with my phone.

When we snowmobile during a less than stellar snowpack period, we always keep an eye out for trails that sink too far into a valley or near the lake... Depth drops off dramatically. This sport has really familiarized me with Michigan micro-climates.

I met with the former owners of the house to walk the property and I asked what the biggest snow they had seen while they lived there and she said it snowed 4' once without stopping (over a few days).  I think my heart fluttered..haha

I guess I'm in the sweet spot (a snow belt within a snow belt within a snow belt) :D

I'm back in NW lower this morning to take another load up.  heading back  Saturday.   camera is packed somewhere but I will snap a couple pics with my phone.

Probably the only spot better is near Twin Lakes... Along the spine of the Keweenaw ridge.

And probably not by much.

Thanks....its my galaxy no less! I love my real camera, but phone cameras have come so far that you feel pretty good about never having to miss a photo op without your "real" camera nearby.

I too am pumped for Fall colors. I have a big case of fall fever. Already have had pumpkin pie, cider, and have been burning fall scented candles :lol:

I have a new LG phone with a 16 mp camera, so I'm really looking forward to using it next month with the fall colors. Haven't had of those things yet. But I'm noticing the fall scents at certain stores/establishments now.

Morning is starting off cloudy, but not really windy like I thought it might end up being. Hit 46° early then the wind off the lake brought milder air in before dawn.

You're up pretty high for that area. The surface of Lake Superior is about 602 ft. You'll get some orographic lift where you're located. Looking forward to your picture posts in the future!

Archived