• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Getting pumped to get back out there. I'm gonna try and go in December this year at least once. I usually loath December skiing since its basically like skiing on rock hard white ice death-chutes with little snow but often biting cold....however, I am a bit more optimistic this year. Good November pattern may make the December skiing a bit more enjoyable. Lay down some more base.

Of course, if we can get a good 1-2 week stretch in early-mid December for natural snow, then you can really make for mid-winter conditions.

Got a trip planned to Loon on 12/21 hoping for somewhat decent conditions. Usually hit or miss that early in the season. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is it legal to poach mountains when snowmaking operations are ongoing and the mountain is closed?

Depends on the ski resort. It's frowned upon most places, and officially discouraged at all areas, even if it's allowed.

Stowe, Smuggs and Jay allow it..MRG too. Sugarbush doesn't, Killington does, most southern VT spots don't. It is something that seems most popular and more allowed in Northern VT areas than most other places in New England.

There's a culture of earning turns up here pre and post season. During snowmaking operations pre-season the rule is to be courteous and respect mountain operations (ie never ski over hoses, stay away from snow guns, etc). There seems to be a great balance right now between respect of the skiers towards the resorts and respect from the resorts to the skiers. Resorts know they could never fully keep people off the trails, just too much man-power and resources needed to do that, especially with so many public hiking trails (Long Trail) and other access points. Likewise the skiers know the resorts could take a firmer stance and make it a pain in the butt for anyone wanting to earn turns. So there's a balance right now and most resorts up here have gone to education over banning it.

I personally don't like skinning up while the guns are blasting, but oftentimes there's natural snow on the ground too so early season can become a mix of using natural and man-made to go up/down. And if there's enough natural snow on the ground, say 6-8", no one goes near the snowmaking and just stays au natural.

I just got a place there... let me know if interested I'll give you a discount. :)http://www.vrbo.com/633706

Agree - it can be "boring" but it's also a well run place, snow conditions are usually great, and the scenery is spectacular.

Nice spot! I know roughly that location. We are going to try to hit some different mountains this season. Maybe BW

Nothing wrong with Bretton Woods...I don't think I'd pay rack rate for the terrain there, but they often have good deals (check liftopia or some of the other websites). I skied there this past April when they were doing $29 lift tickets...basically the entire mountain was still open since the late season snow was prolific.

The views from that mountain are amazing. And they do have a ton of non-steep glades for those who want to practice them but don't want to be the next Sonny Bono either. But those probably wouldn't be open until later in the season unless there's big December snow.

Great blue cruisers though on that mountain.

What a great start to the ski season at Stowe... tons of folks out there earning their turns.  1,800 vertical feet of continuous snowmaking coverage, topped off by some sweet powder. 

1491602_10102042818537140_35921405759526

10600532_10102042831715730_2405000484344

Coverage is more shady below 2,000ft, but at least half the trail had good wind-blown coverage to make for full top-to-bottom skiing.  But it was great to be out there, in pounding snowfall, winds and blowing and drifting snow...full-on winter has moved in.

1489270_10102042834520110_17875129857589

Ankle is still far from 100%, Dr doubts I'll be able to ski this year. I'll give it a shot though, I'll just have to take it way easy. Broke my ankle at work back in April because some douche lost control of his forklift and pinned me between him and my equipment. I'll have to play it by ear, and there is no way i will be able to hit the woods, or be nearly as aggressive as i was in years past. Not going to hang with Pete at this rate.. that dude is a madman.

Ankle is still far from 100%, Dr doubts I'll be able to ski this year. I'll give it a shot though, I'll just have to take it way easy. Broke my ankle at work back in April because some douche lost control of his forklift and pinned me between him and my equipment. I'll have to play it by ear, and there is no way i will be able to hit the woods, or be nearly as aggressive as i was in years past. Not going to hang with Pete at this rate.. that dude is a madman.

go slow bro,maybe late season but go easy

Can anyone provide some information and expectations on Lake Placid/Whiteface in early December? my gf and I have a vacation planned (amazing deal on a studio apartment right outside downtown) to LP starting Dec 5. I have been to LP a few times before but not this early in the season. We chose LP/WF because LP seems to have hands down some of the best off mountain activities and dining perhaps rivaled only by killington from where I have been. I was wondering if anyone has skied WF that early, I have heard they plan to open late Nov. but assuming only limited terrain would be available. Also, I see LP already has snow showers in the forecast throughout next week which is nice because we are hoping (maybe a long shot) to snowmobile when we go, but this may only be possible should an interior storm hit or it snows lightly enough for long enough. From my experience it always seems to be snowing a little bit there even when radar isn't really picking up much (orographically enhanced snowfall?)... Any information and insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hate to repost but now that we're getting closer and more people are in this thread, im hoping I can get some responses to it. Thanks

Hate to repost but now that we're getting closer and more people are in this thread, im hoping I can get some responses to it. Thanks

Having had a cabin up there for years and seen it all in terms of conditions, my best advice to you is expect little/nothing and enjoy whatever you get. There's been years where they're close to 100% open because they get a 20" event in late November, and there's been years where it's 10 trails from snowmaking. Although it's gotten a lot better in recent years, their snowmaking is pretty lean compared to the VT spots, and so you're more at the whim of nature. I'd say you've got a good shot at good conditions just because it looks to be so cold and climo up there is already colder than just about everywhere else, and you are correct that they get a good chunk of their 200" through nickel and dime events(which I think they underreport personally, I've been there plenty of times when it's snowing lightly all day, accumulated an inch or two, and they report 0"). Mountain will be pretty empty probably unless you get a big dump which brings people up, it's pretty much all locals until Christmas otherwise. 

The town is incredible(and why we bought there), really can't go wrong wherever you end up, but if you want restaurant/hotel recommendations etc. let me know what you like and I'll happily oblige.

Snowmobiling is probably out unless they get a big dumping early on, but never say never.

As far as skiing goes I'd sign for the very cold November over the snowy but warmish November. Let the resorts lay down the bulletproof carpet and get the major thruways up top to bottom. Come mid-December we'll be cheering for powpow in anticipation of the first off piste runs. For now I just want to get out there logging vert with enough options to avoid the 4 lane highway side by side death funnel.

As far as skiing goes I'd sign for the very cold November over the snowy but warmish November. Let the resorts lay down the bulletproof carpet and get the major thruways up top to bottom. Come mid-December we'll be cheering for powpow in anticipation of the first off piste runs. For now I just want to get out there logging vert with enough options to avoid the 4 lane highway side by side death funnel.

Yep and we got our wish

Yeah a deep freeze will certainly help in November...like you said by mid-December you start looking for more natural snow over arctic air.

We've had those Novembers where you get snow and it's 30F with high humidity and you can't run the guns. It's always funny to me when we get a snowstorm yet can't make snow...Mother Nature can make snow at 32/32 airmass but humans haven't figured out how yet...really need wet bulbs at least in the upper 20s.

Skied Wildcat yesterday - impressive job at covering Lynx top to bottom! Conditions were great. Made me realize how out of shape I am, argh... 

That run is longer than it looks.  Lapping it tires the heck out of me as well - even during the one or two times in my life I was in great shape.

I'm really happy to see Wildcat rebound from last year's operational problems.  If they could grow their Wildcat / Attitash business I think the whole New Hampshire ski industry gets healthier.

Archived