• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Loon makes a ton of snow. They're the Sunday River of NH. But I won't ski there mid-winter on a Saturday. Otherwise it's a great mountain.

Hitting Bretton Woods Friday with my new ski buddy (my son Jake who's 7). He impressed me at Loon last week (15th), he'll have no problem at Bretton Woods. He came a long way in the past 2 years.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is mid winter conditions just not open full but conditions wise

Yeah it is.  Last night's 2" pushed us to 50" even on the month up here, biggest November since I've been up here.  Good god it skis better than most Christmas Holiday weeks. 

Here's a shot from this morning, we picked up 6" of new snow in the last 36 hours from the upslope 2"/every 12 hours type deal, haha.

It really doesn't get any better than today for November skiing.  Bumps were softening up from the snowstorm and then the nickle and dime stuff...topped off with the 2" overnight and its just plain sweet skiing.  Single digit cold this morning, pure winter.

You mean snowfall?  I do keep a spreadsheet of all mountain snowfall.  I've got daily snow tally spreadsheets for previous seasons as well, and try to keep track of our competitors reported snowfall, too.

I joke about the picnic tables, but I do enjoy seeing how the snowfall works out there.  What were the bigger snow events other than this recent one a few days ago and the one back on the 20th I think?

I joke about the picnic tables, but I do enjoy seeing how the snowfall works out there.  What were the bigger snow events other than this recent one a few days ago and the one back on the 20th I think?

I took a screen shot for ya...just remember its rounded to the nearest inch (I try to stay honest with that, mixing rounding down and up) so its not overly scientific but for a mountain environment and its purpose, its close enough.  Half inch or less goes as a dusting. 

Column lists after the date are as follows: 1500ft Temp at 6am, 1500ft 24 hour snow, 3000ft+ 24 hour snow, seasonal total, comments.

The lake effect surprises around the 18-19th and then 20-21st were the big events.  Those were both 10" of champagne on the upper east slopes, but had a big difference between base and summit.  We actually got in on those in town though, too, with 2.3" and 3.5".  But if you ski here you'll notice there are sometimes those days when I have no idea how it gets there (whether it blows off the roof of the ridgeline or if its just the maximized lift and calm wind in the band), but above like 2,500ft gets bombed with snow. During those two events we just got lucky with the Ontario lake moisture band mixing with upslope.  It just shows how like a 3.5" type lake band event below 1,000ft can quickly turn to 10" a few thousand feet up in a more saturated environment.  You get squalls down in the inhabited elevations of towns and you are like wow, its snowing 1-2"/hr right now, but if you were like 3000ft higher in that squall its snowing at like 3-4"/hr. 

I could talk about this stuff all day long, haha...then there was that mixed precip event on 11/16 where it snowed, then sleet, then rain while wxeye Gene was freezing rain the whole event. 

That's cool. Good to see the comments section too. I forgot you guys had two separate large LES events there.

Its sort of a shame that we had that torch early last week, as that is what was stopping the snow depth from being more respectful given the snowfall. It was up to like 15", but then melted pretty much completely out (like grass to 3500ft), and now it's back up to over a foot again. Without that melt, we'd probably be 20"+ on the ground on the upper mountain.

The two lake effect upslope events are interesting as they mirror the Buffalo area events, just obviously much much less snow. Whatever that wind flow was, Mansfield was like the right orientation for a WSW flow off Ontario. The two events had like identical wind flows, so in hindsight it makes sense that we got the second event like a day or two after the first one, just like the BUF timeline. The COOP did an awful job capturing those events, because the wind at the summit was so strong it must not have found it's way into the can, but that strong flow is what brought the moisture and immediately downslope on the east side it was calm (blocked by the ridge) so the snow could accumulate efficiently.

Today may have gone down as the best November ski day I can remember. Bluebird skies, fresh snow, mountains just caked in white, calm wind...truly a brochure day.

photo_gallery_img_5105_edited_2.jpg

photo_gallery_img_5047_edited_1.jpg

photo_gallery_img_5081_edited_1.jpg

photo_gallery_img_5056_edited_1.jpg

photo_gallery_img_5014_edited_1_2.jpg

photo_gallery_img_5137_edited_2.jpg

photo_gallery_img_5117_edited_1.jpg

Yeah this times 100. Berkshire east opened today with every trail on the mountain skiable. 8 inches of light fluffy snow on 6+ very dense stuff kept us floating above the rocks all day long in untracked goodness. Temps in the upper 20s. Only places that were a bit slabby was where they made snow on top, but otherwise it was quite simply a fantastic powder day by any standards.

Yeah this times 100. Berkshire east opened today with every trail on the mountain skiable. 8 inches of light fluffy snow on 6+ very dense stuff kept us floating above the rocks all day long in untracked goodness. Temps in the upper 20s. Only places that were a bit slabby was where they made snow on top, but otherwise it was quite simply a fantastic powder day by any standards.

wow

I hit Smuggs today and it was certainly pretty good for early season in the morning, but with just a few trails open conditions quickly became icier as the day went on. I definitely enjoyed being out there again and starting off my ski season.

Awesome! I love when it's this time of year and you are thinking this is great for November...then you realize it's great for ANY time of the season.

Skied Killington yesterday....and Kmart was looking great for November. I've skied there around Christmas three times before and I've had far worse conditions then than yesterday on November 29th.

First pic was in the morning under bluebird skies going up the Canyon Quad...not often to get good bumps in Nov:

Killington1.jpg

Last two pics were as the sun set...first one is last chair on the old Glades Triple chair (now since called North Ridge triple for some # of years)...I hadn't skied Kmart in like a decade and I was shocked to still see the same old triple there, lol:

Killington2.jpg

Last pic is looking down from the top of double dipper...didn't ski it though, instead traversed over to Superstar:

Killington3.jpg

Skied (snowboarded rather) Saturday and Sunday at Sugarbush.

On Saturday I was actually pretty disappointed with the the condition of the trails and the number of open runs.  There was a bottleneck trail (Downspout) that was sketchy by 10 am and downright treacherous at 2pm.  Upper jester was in great shape though.  My main disappointment was in how few trails were open.  With the great temps and 14 inches of snow I figured they could have opened up at least another half dozen trails with proper planning (lay a thin base down with the guns and plow it before the storm to open new trails out of nowhere).

On Sunday the heaven's gate lift was on wind hold but the snow had softened up considerably.  Downspout was freshly groomed and lower organ grinder was much gentler with the slightly softer snow.

All in all a decent start to the season for me.  At least I shook the rust off.

Archived