Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Hey how was Wawa BTW?

Well, only 10 trails are open so that is kinda limiting. 10th was a bit crunchy and rough but wall to wall coverage

Having the gold pass allows me to arrive at 8 and get 10 runs in before 9:30 and skedaddle before the crowds build

I arrived right before one if the owners and scored a better parking spot

Great views this morning

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashoba is another option. But Wachusett is probably another 30 minutes

I rode the lift with a guy from Weymouth who skis WaWa once per week (snowboards actually)

The ride wouldn't be too bad, maybe just over an hour? True about Nashoba, but that's not too easy to get to. I'd be an embarrassment for awhile, but it would be nice to hit the slopes.

You can also ski days during school vacations. Otherwise nights only those weeks

At least that is how the regular gold pass works

Yeah I left that part out after reading up a bit more.

I'm a little surprised its $300 dollars more, but I guess you have to pay the big bucks for peak time.

I would prefer nights anyway, so it will work out for me. Pays for itself in a handful of visits

Wachusett can get crowded and is not really challenging. The staff is great though and there is fun to be had, especially when there is good natural stuff. They are strict about skiing in the woods due to old growth concerns but there are fun little side trails that add to the count. Good lifts and a decent base lodge

Just avoid the crowds.

Wachusett can get crowded and is not really challenging. The staff is great though and there is fun to be had, especially when there is good natural stuff. They are strict about skiing in the woods due to old growth concerns but there are fun little side trails that add to the count. Good lifts and a decent base lodge

Just avoid the crowds.

If anything, I want to see the old tree growth still there.

Spent the morning at berkshire east. Lot got pretty full, which is always good to see. While they didn't recieve as much snow as vt they're doing well, coverage looked decent. The new quad is light years faster than their old summit triple. The old lift went as fast as the chair that goes up flying cloud. Was cool to see them running side-by-side.

Wish I could have skied!

Thoughts on the magic carpet load system?

Just avoid the crowds.

I went to wachusett with the ski club when I was in school. I really like it. I'm not one who needs a 90 degree drop to have a good time. Nice mountain, night skiing is great.

Any advice on avoiding crowds? Probably during weekdays would really be the only time

Question. If White Face has the highest lift accessed terrain in the north east why is it listed as having 230" seasonal snow fall and Jay and Stowe are 300+.

Actually let me see if I can answer my own question.

Is it due to the Greens east-west orientation that allows for greater upslope then white face's singular prominence. Since it is separated from the rest of the dacks. So it relies on synoptic more so then the greens.

Yeah nice day up there. More typical early season conditions, but can't complain after the start we've had. Lift is faster indeed, though the carpet loading system isn't my fave... no complaints though and I heard they kept the old one to possibly expand at some point.

attachicon.gif20141213_beast1.png

Have we ever met? I'm up there almost all the time, at least in the mornings on the weekends.

Some of the best early season backcountry skiing we've had. Stuck to a few well known skidder lanes, chased one moose up the hill, some nice turns and lots of laughs. The bottom took some creative skiing,rocketing through whips to islands of pow and appropriate water bar utilization.

coming into one of the islands

DSCN0366-1.jpg

Conditions should be pretty good at Killington no matter what happens.  Places that don't groom much (MRG), or don't groom well (Sugarbush) won't be quite as nice but should be good enough to not dampen your holiday spirits.

If you ski and like moguls that Sugarbush will be fantastic.  Right now all of the gatehouse quad trail pod is moguls except the green circle way down, the diamond off of north lynx has huge bumps, and the usual suspects at the heavens gate and super bravo trail pods are getting bumpy as well.

If your in the market for some nice steep groomers I'd look elsewhere for now.  Aside from the MRV and Killington I don't have much experience around central Vermont.  There is enough snow and the base is thick enough that any warm up and even some rain won't cause the conditions to deteriorate so much that you won't have fun.

Archived