joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Killington and Pico were totally out from about 9:30 to 10:30.

Were they able to run any lifts during that time?

Here we've got a few key lifts with 3 power sources, so even if we lose the feed from town we can at least operate some stuff and still be in compliance with tramway code of having two available power sources. I would assume Killington has something similar given the scope of their operations.

Were they able to run any lifts during that time?

Here we've got a few key lifts with 3 power sources, so even if we lose the feed from town we can at least operate some stuff and still be in compliance with tramway code of having two available power sources. I would assume Killington has something similar given the scope of their operations.

When power was lost the lifts stopped for about 15 minutes or so.  Then they ran auxiliary power long enough to offload... after that they shutdown with no updates.  Less than 5 minutes before power came back the director of finance was at the ticket booth telling people 6 hours and sending them home.  We already had tix so we were going to wait it out for awhile and when the lights came on we hightailed out to superstar. 

Great early season conditions no doubt, some of the best since 12/07.  We were mildly annoyed at Killington not running the Gondola and shutting down the Canyon quad before noon for no reason other than saving electricity.  It made getting toward the top difficult... Snowdon to the North Ridge only.  But other than that it was spectacular.

radarman, you are right though on these conditions...best December skiing I can remember in a while.  Although last December was good right up until Christmas, we weren't skiing on anywhere near this amount of terrain.  And this snow is so dense that it can support heavy traffic and not get skied down to dirt after the first 100 people go through.

Its also incredibly scenic...like skiing through the Candyland Forest or something.

10404850_10152427816117382_9041711335241

radarman, you are right though on these conditions...best December skiing I can remember in a while.  Although last December was good right up until Christmas, we weren't skiing on anywhere near this amount of terrain.  And this snow is so dense that it can support heavy traffic and not get skied down to dirt after the first 100 people go through.

Its also incredibly scenic...like skiing through the Candyland Forest or something.

Both of these.  The snow reminds me a lot of my days at Squaw.  Really it's perfect for basebuilding... not pure slop, but heavy stuff from the synoptic event followed by some lighter upslope induced topping.  With a little ZR to get the limb coated effect. 

Can't wait to get back out there.  Bear Mt. and Needles Eye open tomorrow at Killington.  Castlerock opened yesterday at Sugarbush.  MRG opened today.  And Mt. Ellen opens on the 19th... Plus Stowe and Jay are cranking of course.

post-992-0-90626200-1418418350_thumb.jpg

Both of these.  The snow reminds me a lot of my days at Squaw.  Really it's perfect for basebuilding... not pure slop, but heavy stuff from the synoptic event followed by some lighter upslope induced topping.  With a little ZR to get the limb coated effect. 

Can't wait to get back out there.  Bear Mt. and Needles Eye open tomorrow at Killington.  Castlerock opened yesterday at Sugarbush.  MRG opened today.  And Mt. Ellen opens on the 19th... Plus Stowe and Jay are cranking of course.

attachicon.gifkmart_121114_1.jpg

Eric you guys know how to have fun. beautiful pics

Spent the morning at berkshire east. Lot got pretty full, which is always good to see. While they didn't recieve as much snow as vt they're doing well, coverage looked decent. The new quad is light years faster than their old summit triple. The old lift went as fast as the chair that goes up flying cloud. Was cool to see them running side-by-side.

Wish I could have skied!

Spent the morning at berkshire east. Lot got pretty full, which is always good to see. While they didn't recieve as much snow as vt they're doing well, coverage looked decent. The new quad is light years faster than their old summit triple. The old lift went as fast as the chair that goes up flying cloud. Was cool to see them running side-by-side.

Wish I could have skied!

Sweet

Saddleback opened today

Wish I could have skied!

Yeah nice day up there.  More typical early season conditions, but can't complain after the start we've had.  Lift is faster indeed, though the carpet loading system isn't my fave... no complaints though and I heard they kept the old one to possibly expand at some point.

Fun to have this type of base and coverage on the steeps as early as December 12th.  This is the Lookout trail...my favorite on the mountain.  There's something about it, the ledges, double fall-line, old double overhead, its really an under-rated trail.  The Front Four gets the press, but Lookout is like the red-headed step child.  Almost 2,000 vertical feet (1,900) of trail that just goes down, and down, and down.

10857921_10102071088578750_2217611904338

Archived