SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2014-2015 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone provide some information and expectations on Lake Placid/Whiteface in early December? my gf and I have a vacation planned (amazing deal on a studio apartment right outside downtown) to LP starting Dec 5. I have been to LP a few times before but not this early in the season. We chose LP/WF because LP seems to have hands down some of the best off mountain activities and dining perhaps rivaled only by killington from where I have been. I was wondering if anyone has skied WF that early, I have heard they plan to open late Nov. but assuming only limited terrain would be available. Also, I see LP already has snow showers in the forecast throughout next week which is nice because we are hoping (maybe a long shot) to snowmobile when we go, but this may only be possible should an interior storm hit or it snows lightly enough for long enough. From my experience it always seems to be snowing a little bit there even when radar isn't really picking up much (orographically enhanced snowfall?)... Any information and insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tha'ts awesome...I'm pretty sure they were still open in mid June this year. So they basically close for just 4 months. :lol:

There's actually years where they make it to July.

Yeah they often make July...Mammoth is another one with a real long season. A-Basin has the advantage of being so high and with dry air they can make snow so early in the season. Loveland also...they'll make snow at like 40F but the wetbulb is 25F.

I like places like Timberline or Blackcomb that essentially shut down for 2-4 weeks just for maintenance.

Can anyone provide some information and expectations on Lake Placid/Whiteface in early December? my gf and I have a vacation planned (amazing deal on a studio apartment right outside downtown) to LP starting Dec 5. I have been to LP a few times before but not this early in the season. We chose LP/WF because LP seems to have hands down some of the best off mountain activities and dining perhaps rivaled only by killington from where I have been. I was wondering if anyone has skied WF that early, I have heard they plan to open late Nov. but assuming only limited terrain would be available. Also, I see LP already has snow showers in the forecast throughout next week which is nice because we are hoping (maybe a long shot) to snowmobile when we go, but this may only be possible should an interior storm hit or it snows lightly enough for long enough. From my experience it always seems to be snowing a little bit there even when radar isn't really picking up much (orographically enhanced snowfall?)... Any information and insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Early December in upstate NY is a total crapshoot.

Do you feel lucky?

Yeah they often make July...Mammoth is another one with a real long season. A-Basin has the advantage of being so high and with dry air they can make snow so early in the season. Loveland also...they'll make snow at like 40F but the wetbulb is 25F.

I like places like Timberline or Blackcomb that essentially shut down for 2-4 weeks just for maintenance.

i skiied blackcomb in july about 25 years ago. 

fun times.

Stowe VT today

B4A927CB-9A7F-45CA-B7E8-4D045DB08FCF.jpg

First skiing in the east this season, lol

Stowe has such an odd mix of really hardcore locals (like a huge dedicated, crusty local base) mixed in amongst the wealthy mid-season vacationers. Amongst the rich stigma, is one of the most fanatical local crowd you'll find.

Here's another group of locals over on Nosedive yesterday...

First skiing in the east this season, lol

Stowe has such an odd mix of really hardcore locals (like a huge dedicated, crusty local base) mixed in amongst the wealthy mid-season vacationers. Amongst the rich stigma, is one of the most fanatical local crowd you'll find.

Here's another group of locals over on Nosedive yesterday...

image.jpg

You have to be pretty hardcore dedicated to hike up a mountain to ski on a patch of 1 inch snow/ice lol. Hats off to them

You have to be pretty hardcore dedicated to hike up a mountain to ski on a patch of 1 inch snow/ice lol. Hats off to them

This region just lives and breathes skiing and riding lol...like entire lives are shaped around it. Addicted to it. Some may say it's borderline unhealthy obsession. We all worship snow. Most of the people here that I know in Stowe make this board look normal if not dull in their love of snow lol. Like ski towns up here are like living with a bunch of druggies, but the drug is snow.

Like yesterday the gas station attendant giving fist bumps because theres graupel falling outside...like some places would react if crack fell from the sky.

This region just lives and breathes skiing and riding lol...like entire lives are shaped around it. Addicted to it. Some may say it's borderline unhealthy obsession. We all worship snow. Most of the people here that I know in Stowe make this board look normal if not dull in their love of snow lol. Like ski towns up here are like living with a bunch of druggies, but the drug is snow.

Like yesterday the gas station attendant giving fist bumps because theres graupel falling outside...like some places would react if crack fell from the sky.

Killington is the same way. Hard core group of die hards...Some of the best people I've ever met.

Killington is the same way. Hard core group of die hards...Some of the best people I've ever met.

Yeah there are certain mountains where that type of core local group comes to mind...Killington, Sugarbush/MRG, Stowe, Smuggs, Jay...Wildcat, Cannon...Sugarloaf. Generally the spots with enough rowdy terrain to sustain a large core group of locals.

Got lift evacuation training at Wachusett on Sun morning at 7am. Should be perfect conditions. Snow showers before 11am, winds at 20-30mph with gusts to 48. Yahoo.

Its that time of year to catch up on evac procedures... my favorite was a couple years ago I got to be lowered out of the Gondola from its highest point for training, I don't really fear heights but still was an interesting feeling jumping out of the Gondi backwards from 70 feet.

Nice. I bet Killington makes a similar run with a 36 hour snowmaking window.

Monday, November 3, 2014, will be opening day for the 2014-15 Winter Season. The first turns of the season will be dedicated exclusively to Season Pass and Express Card holders, and opening time will be determined early Monday morning and announced right herein the Conditions Report.

Killington will open to the general public for skiing and snowboarding on Tuesday, November 4, 2014, and expects to remain open daily for the duration of the Longest Season in the East as conditions permit.

Archived