joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 Banter

snowfan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typically, the hoses are just elastomers.  They harden and become brittle over time.  Eventually, they crack and you're left w/ major water damage.  If one breaks, you hope it is the drain and not the supply.  At least if it's the drain, it'll only leak when the washer is in use.  If the supply hose breaks it's like an ice-maker leak.  If you're not home when it happens, you'll need a boat to get around inside the house.  For the life of me I don't understand why these washer hoses are not jacketed with stainless-steel mesh like the supply lines you typically see connecting to your faucets and toilets.  They last much longer.

Typically, the hoses are just elastomers.  They harden and become brittle over time.  Eventually, they crack and you're left w/ major water damage.  If one breaks, you hope it is the drain and not the supply.  At least if it's the drain, it'll only leak when the washer is in use.  If the supply hose breaks it's like an ice-maker leak.  If you're not home when it happens, you'll need a boat to get around inside the house.  For the life of me I don't understand why these washer hoses are not jacketed with stainless-steel mesh like the supply lines you typically see connecting to your faucets and toilets.  They last much longer.

I should have clarified, Windshield washer fluid hose

Ran into a decent sized one of these in my yard while mowing today (pic is from the web)

eastern garter.JPG

Dang thing took a swipe at my mower wheel and then my ankle. First time I've ever had a snake in MD take a stab at me. Had a rattle snake in the hills above Boulder, CO take a short swipe when I startled it and a copper head take a shot at me crossing a creek in WV but never in MD.

After reading about the eastern garter it appears they are fairly agressive (no venom or worries of injury though). Something interesting in an overall boring day.

They can't hurt you. Only bad thing is when you pick them up your hands are quite rank.

Typically, the hoses are just elastomers. They harden and become brittle over time. Eventually, they crack and you're left w/ major water damage. If one breaks, you hope it is the drain and not the supply. At least if it's the drain, it'll only leak when the washer is in use. If the supply hose breaks it's like an ice-maker leak. If you're not home when it happens, you'll need a boat to get around inside the house. For the life of me I don't understand why these washer hoses are not jacketed with stainless-steel mesh like the supply lines you typically see connecting to your faucets and toilets. They last much longer.

They sell them that are. I have them on my washer.

From watching the Mike Holmes shows, I believe in Canada code requires a drain in the floor of the laundry room. That's a very good idea IMO

Archived