Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 Banter

snowfan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol.

"concluded that climate change is fake because it was kind of chilly when Al Gore handed out ice cream cones....the weather on a singe day has nothing to do with the larger picture."

Agree with the statement...love the typo.

Back from Colorado. Moved son to Breckenridge (Bob, you are right, he may never return just from what I saw there during my 6 days ) temps in upper 30's/low 40's every night and 'soared' to 77 one day. Had a t-shower one morning around 10 turn into a raging sleet storm that almost covered ground and piled up 6-10 inches deep on ground off roof valleys! Awesome! Temp was like 41-42 during that time, by lunch sun out and temp was up to low 50's and 80% of people had on shorts, me included.

A big adjustment for me, lost my wife suddenly about 18 months ago and now only child 2/3's across country. But he is a great kid, moved back in with me after and stayed this long 'til the 'itch' of deep snow potential finally got the better of him. Not many 23 year olds would move back home after getting away. Anyway, just me and the dogs now, a change for sure.

On another subject, lets talk law enforcement since I just did 3300 miles out and back. I noticed once I got to Louisville that I wasn't seeing cops and /or radar. I kept up (actually started marking on a sheet that I was using for miles and gas usage when I saw one) and here are the tallies-

Out- KY zero, IN zero, IL zero, MO zero, KS zero, CO zero ( I know I saw at least two in WV and one in VA going out, but that is 'unofficial')

Back- CO one, KS one, MO two (but both were at wrecks), IL zero, IN zero, KY one, WV 5!, VA 2 (and I only live 18 miles into state)

So, that tells me WV and VA are raking in cash with radar compared to other states, or I was EXTREMELY lucky both out and back.

Welcome back wxdude. Your son will never forget this journey. Hopefully you drove over loveland pass at least once while you were out there. I spend many days hiking and skiing off the top of that pass. I miss it as much now as I did 15 years ago when I moved back here.

August can be a crappy weather month out there. Monsoon flow is tricky on tourists. Beautiful blue birds in the morning and then cold rain showers and clouds in the afternoon. Temps in the 50's is common on cloudy days in August.

The high peaks start getting their first snow in about a month but it won't start sticking until October. I used to love driving to work in Sept with everything above treeline covered in fresh snow. September is probably the best weather month overall for non ski activities. Lotsa sun, pleasant temps, and the aspens turn yellow. oh the memories... I may end up back there before too long...

How long did it take to drive out there? A raging sleet storm sounds wonderful. Sadly, I haven't seen one yet lol. I'm not surprised you saw cops in VA, the cops are hot whenever I drive through. Speed limit or ticket there. North Carolina? My average speed must be...well...it ain't the speed limit.

It's about 1800 miles from dc. Plenty of 65-75mph speed limits. I used to drive back and forth in the summer every year. Takes about 26 hours of road time. I80 through nebraska is the way to go. I70 through KS sucks. Hardly a difference in mileage but a much easier drive overall. Jump off I70 in Indianapolis and head to the quad cities and pick up 80.

Back from Colorado. Moved son to Breckenridge (Bob, you are right, he may never return just from what I saw there during my 6 days ) temps in upper 30's/low 40's every night and 'soared' to 77 one day. Had a t-shower one morning around 10 turn into a raging sleet storm that almost covered ground and piled up 6-10 inches deep on ground off roof valleys! Awesome! Temp was like 41-42 during that time, by lunch sun out and temp was up to low 50's and 80% of people had on shorts, me included.

A big adjustment for me, lost my wife suddenly about 18 months ago and now only child 2/3's across country. But he is a great kid, moved back in with me after and stayed this long 'til the 'itch' of deep snow potential finally got the better of him. Not many 23 year olds would move back home after getting away. Anyway, just me and the dogs now, a change for sure.

On another subject, lets talk law enforcement since I just did 3300 miles out and back. I noticed once I got to Louisville that I wasn't seeing cops and /or radar. I kept up (actually started marking on a sheet that I was using for miles and gas usage when I saw one) and here are the tallies-

Out- KY zero, IN zero, IL zero, MO zero, KS zero, CO zero ( I know I saw at least two in WV and one in VA going out, but that is 'unofficial')

Back- CO one, KS one, MO two (but both were at wrecks), IL zero, IN zero, KY one, WV 5!, VA 2 (and I only live 18 miles into state)

So, that tells me WV and VA are raking in cash with radar compared to other states, or I was EXTREMELY lucky both out and back.

Terribly sorry to hear about your wife.  Sounds like a great kid to have moved back to stay w/ his dad afterwards.  

Sounds like a wonderful place.  My brother often vacations out in CO and loves (especially the Estes Park area) it.  He keeps getting on me to join him out there, but I haven't had the right opportunity.  Besides, I'm afraid how much I'll dread coming back home!

North Carolina is the worst when it comes to speed traps, but VA is pretty awful. You can't drive for more than a few miles on Rte 29 south of Gainesville without coming across a cop. Same can be said for I-95 in NC. 

With regards to Colorado...beautiful state. The west is where its at in this country for scenery. Montana is my personal favorite, but Colorado and Cali are right up there. It's a shame that Cali is such a mess or I'd consider living there. 

And very sorry to hear about the loss. Cannot even imagine what that is like. 

Driving over 80mph in Virginia is a misdemeanor. They don't play games there. Been there done that. It's basically a scam. People get scared so they pay big bucks for a lawyer and get their tickets reduced. I pay special attention now driving thru va. Nc is no picnic either but va is the strictest in the nation.

Thanks all for the kind words. It will be another change but things will work out.

Colorado is beautiful for those that have never been. Pine beetles did a number on the evergreens, but a lot of it has been cleaned up and new trees already growing.

Unfortunately we did the I 70 KS route (being further south it is a straighter shot for us, don't even pick up 70 until St L)) and the day we went through KS heading west it was 104 on car temp and 30 mph head wind, plus up hill too. Saw a 22 mile long wind farm between Salina and Hays, another one in eastern CO near Burlington. 

Yep, went thru Loveland one day, Loveland at the tunnel and Arapahoe on other end with Keystone further down just before getting to lake. Went up to Hoosier pass too, next time I'm out there I'm hiking Quandry Peak.

Btw it took 2 13 hour driving days to get out there. Made it back in 24 hours, but had some help crossing KS with traffic clicking along at 85-87 (speed limit 75) and again in IN with traffic rolling along at 82-85 (sp limit 70).

Driving over 80mph in Virginia is a misdemeanor. They don't play games there. Been there done that. It's basically a scam. People get scared so they pay big bucks for a lawyer and get their tickets reduced. I pay special attention now driving thru va. Nc is I picnic either but va is the strictest in the nation.

Yep, when VA passed speed limit increase to 70, they left reckless driving limit at 80. So, if you are clocked at 81 which is only 11 over limit.....reckless driving ticket. That hurts the ol' insurance rates. Plus VA is only state in nation that still bans radar detectors. In other words drive close to limit, especially out of state plates if you have a detector in car.

Thanks all for the kind words. It will be another change but things will work out.

Colorado is beautiful for those that have never been. Pine beetles did a number on the evergreens, but a lot of it has been cleaned up and new trees already growing.

Unfortunately we did the I 70 KS route (being further south it is a straighter shot for us) and the day we went out heading west it was 104 on car temp and 30 mph head wind, plus up hill too. Saw a 22 mile long wind farm between Salina and Hays, another one in eastern CO near Burlington.

Yep, went thru Loveland one day, Loveland at the tunnel and Arapahoe on other end with Keystone further down just before getting to lake. Went up to Hoosier pass too, next time I'm out there I'm hiking Quandry Peak.

Btw it took 2 13 hour driving days to get out there. Made it back in 24 hours, but had some help crossing KS with traffic clicking along at 85-87 (speed limit 75) and again in IN with traffic rolling along at 82-85 (sp limit 70).

Worked in Colorado for almost a year. Loved it except that you can't drive to the beach. That part sucked. Had an interesting experience in Loveland. My car got towed while skiing and one of the tow trucks drove a few of us unlucky ones to their facility. The driver was like a tour guide explaining all the places we passed thru like georgetown, etc. In any case, I was glad when I got my car back lol. I probably could live in Colorado but think cali would be higher on my list due to the location.

Yep, when VA passed speed limit increase to 70, they left reckless driving limit at 80. So, if you are clocked at 81 which is only 11 over limit.....reckless driving ticket. That hurts the ol' insurance rates.

Yea I got hit going 81. Didn't hire a lawyer and didn't get the charge dropped. But I live in maryland. So far it's been a year and my points haven't transferred, my insurance actually went down this year, and my clearance wasn't affected in any way. So far I'm glad I didn't get suckered into getting a lawyer. There were like 30 ppl in the courtroom. In md the ticket would have been 2 pts so even if it transferred I'm good. I think it hurts more if you're a va resident.

Yeah, I would think there is usually no need for a lawyer in these instances.

it's still probably best to hire a lawyer especially if you live in virginia because you can get the charge reduced to improper speeding which is less points and isn't a "misdemeanor".  even failing to provide an appropriate signal in virginia can be considered a potential misdemeanor charge.  the whole system there is really flakey and just over the top.

How long did it take to drive out there? A raging sleet storm sounds wonderful. Sadly, I haven't seen one yet lol. I'm not surprised you saw cops in VA, the cops are hot whenever I drive through. Speed limit or ticket there. North Carolina? My average speed must be...well...it ain't the speed limit.

Should've been here on V-Day, 2007... 6" of sleet. Not as fun as it sounds as that stuff froze solid after like 2 days.

My condolences on your loss.  Your son sounds like a good kid who now will begin his own life in a great location.  Best of luck to him.

Driving over 80mph in Virginia is a misdemeanor. They don't play games there. Been there done that. It's basically a scam. People get scared so they pay big bucks for a lawyer and get their tickets reduced. I pay special attention now driving thru va. Nc is no picnic either but va is the strictest in the nation.

90 and above gets jail time.  

Archived