• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 Banter

snowfan

I'd much rather be a fan for a team with a racist name, than for a team with players who beat their significant others.

LOL ok.  Saying your team is more law-abiding then another is fairly thin ice to stand on in the NFL, but trolls gonna troll I guess.  

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/former-redskins-player-fred-davis-sought-on-domestic-violence-related-charge-in-dc/2014/07/23/bbe58ccc-1285-11e4-8936-26932bcfd6ed_story.html

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you know I'm trolling why take the bait?

i loved how 6'4" Fred Davis was described as 6'9".  That should've helped law enforcement track him down.

After a busy travel schedule in July, over the past couple of days I've had some time to get out and give the garden some much needed attention.  Everything was slow to start, but I've got a lot of large, green tomatoes on the Mr. Stripey and the Bonnie Original vines.  The Early Girl and Better Boy are leggy and not bearing much fruit, but the peppers are starting to fill in pretty good too.  Considering that I haven't done any watering since mid-June, things are looking surprisingly well.  How's everyone else doing with their garden this year with the cool weather?

Also, I'm getting some ripe plum tomatoes (again, way later than normal) but not enough to make sauce.  There are a lot of green plums that need some time to ripen and I was wondering if anyone knew if I could just freeze the ripe ones whole until I have enough to make a batch of sauce. Anyone ever done this?

Had no idea Otakon was back. If y'all like to people watch, go find a bench on Pratt St. near the convention center and enjoy. You'll probably say 'wow' or 'OMG' more than you ever have in your life. 

Traffic on Pratt will probably be a mess this afternoon. 

Had no idea Otakon was back. If y'all like to people watch, go find a bench on Pratt St. near the convention center and enjoy. You'll probably say 'wow' or 'OMG' more than you ever have in your life. 

Traffic on Pratt will probably be a mess this afternoon. 

You should have been there for BronyCon last week. Didn't help that the Orioles had home games that entire weekend.

it was already at a standstill at noon. And last night with the Ravens game and the Otakon people arriving it was at an impasse by 4:00 pm. Worse already today.

Yeah, lot of things happening/happened today, rode by the Funeral for the 3 y/o girl that died, that was on Washington St. Then they are working on North Ave right near Greenmount snarling up Traffic. Baltimore is busy but beautiful. Go O's and Ravens all the time

Flacco might be top 10 though. I tried coming up with a list, but outside of Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, and Kaepernick I've got nothing. 

Yup same thing I did lol.  Thus I have no problem saying he is top 10, probably 7 or 8. Like I said, now that he is playing in a REAL offensive system with a REAL OC, he will have no excuses. The OL looks much improved and he has more weapons so he should put up big time numbers.

Otakon is back in Baltimore (Cosplay from the gaming and anime world for sure a big part of it) and downtown is glorious as usual around the convention center during this event. Even better? The bewildered looks on Cardinals fans' faces as they stared at the goings on. Made for an awesome run at lunch.

I couldn't find a translation for this on Google.

:(

After a busy travel schedule in July, over the past couple of days I've had some time to get out and give the garden some much needed attention. Everything was slow to start, but I've got a lot of large, green tomatoes on the Mr. Stripey and the Bonnie Original vines. The Early Girl and Better Boy are leggy and not bearing much fruit, but the peppers are starting to fill in pretty good too. Considering that I haven't done any watering since mid-June, things are looking surprisingly well. How's everyone else doing with their garden this year with the cool weather?

Also, I'm getting some ripe plum tomatoes (again, way later than normal) but not enough to make sauce. There are a lot of green plums that need some time to ripen and I was wondering if anyone knew if I could just freeze the ripe ones whole until I have enough to make a batch of sauce. Anyone ever done this?

My garden is killing it. The weather has been absolutely ideal. The relatively cool temps and low humidity have helped keep the fungal issues from creeping in, and they've helped keep the plant pollen dry and viable. I've also see a lot more bees this season than the last few years.

As for the question about tomatoes - absolutely! In fact, I freeze the vast majority of my tomatoes to use in sauce and canned salsa later in the year.

What I do is I seed and core the tomatoes first, then I pop them into gallon or quart freezer have and press out as much air as possible before out them in the freezer. You could just as easily vacuum seal if you have a vacuum sealer. One of the great things about freezing them is that when they thaw, the skins come off easily. I have about 15 lbs of cored and seeded tomatoes in the freezer now and will probably triple that by the end of the season!

My garden is killing it. The weather has been absolutely ideal. The relatively cool temps and low humidity have helped keep the fungal issues from creeping in, and they've helped keep the plant pollen dry and viable. I've also see a lot more bees this season than the last few years.

As for the question about tomatoes - absolutely! In fact, I freeze the vast majority of my tomatoes to use in sauce and canned salsa later in the year.

What I do is I seed and core the tomatoes first, then I pop them into gallon or quart freezer have and press out as much air as possible before out them in the freezer. You could just as easily vacuum seal if you have a vacuum sealer. One of the great things about freezing them is that when they thaw, the skins come off easily. I have about 15 lbs of cored and seeded tomatoes in the freezer now and will probably triple that by the end of the season!

45 lbs. of extra tomatoes?  Damn.  You're garden is killing it! 

Thanks for the reply.  I'll start freezing mine with the next ripening batch.

Does anyone have info from previous years that would indicate when the apps hit peak color in the fall? I'm trying to plan a local road trip for sightseeing and pics. Was hoping the week of Columbus Day would work, but not sure if that's too early. Thinking of hitting up Ohiopyle SP in SW PA, Blackwater Falls near Davis and maybe Babcock SP south of Snowshoe. 

Does anyone have info from previous years that would indicate when the apps hit peak color in the fall? I'm trying to plan a local road trip for sightseeing and pics. Was hoping the week of Columbus Day would work, but not sure if that's too early. Thinking of hitting up Ohiopyle SP in SW PA, Blackwater Falls near Davis and maybe Babcock SP south of Snowshoe. 

You'd probably be a little late for Blackwater Falls.  Peak here is usually the last couple days of September to the first week of October.  The colors should still be nice in the lower elevations, though.

Mid oct is pretty good with elevation. The higher terrain of dolly sods/snowshoe goes earliest around here. Usually early Oct. I would think anywhere in sw pa above 1,500' or so should be looking pretty sweet. Most of garrett co should be looking good too. Every year is different though. Always have to play it by ear a week or 2 out.

I found an early prelim graphic published by WV and they have the higher elevations peaking in late September this year. I dug up the September obs thread from last year and found posts from jonjon stating that colors were already changing the week of Labor Day last year. Like you said though, things change every year. Starting to think things will peak a bit early this year given the coolish summer we've had and the higher elevations have had quite a few cool nights. 

Mid oct is pretty good with elevation. The higher terrain of dolly sods/snowshoe goes earliest around here. Usually early Oct. I would think anywhere in sw pa above 1,500' or so should be looking pretty sweet. Most of garrett co should be looking good too. Every year is different though. Always have to play it by ear a week or 2 out.

Ran into a decent sized one of these in my yard while mowing today (pic is from the web)

post-2035-0-41481800-1407794029_thumb.jp

Dang thing took a swipe at my mower wheel and then my ankle. First time I've ever had a snake in MD take a stab at me. Had a rattle snake in the hills above Boulder, CO take a short swipe when I startled it and a copper head take a shot at me crossing a creek in WV but never in MD.

After reading about the eastern garter it appears they are fairly agressive (no venom or worries of injury though). Something interesting in an overall boring day. 

Archived