Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably top 3 heaviest rainfalls this year just took place.  Traffic on the interstate came to a complete stop (I could just barely see the car maybe 10 feet in front of me)...  Like going through a car wash.  Letting up now.  When i left the store it was 83F and now its back to 66F at home...   First heavy rainfall...grass around here was starting to get that August burn going, but this may help that some.

That cell in the northeast quarter of Cook County is looking pretty healthy! Cell approaching 60dbz.

Lake breezy boundary clearly evident on radar.

LOT.N0Q.20140804.2100.gif

Cell west of Madison quite strong. No doubt blinding rain with that one!

MKX.N0Q.20140804.2107.gif

Training thunderstorms, which I assume were lake breeze induced, produced at least 8" of rain on the southern Greater Toronto Area city of Burlington. Major flash flood event. News and hard facts are always scanty around here, but I imagine thousands of homes were flooded and several dozen people were stranded. Haven't heard anything about casualties. Halton Regional Police earlier tweeted stranded motorists were swimming from cars. Evacuation centres have been opened.

pic.twitter.com/LOwD09vocm

pic.twitter.com/D967GKngzY

pic.twitter.com/I4nXqVrYyP

pic.twitter.com/xYSrqEpThd

pic.twitter.com/33ug6mD4FL

pic.twitter.com/GbMYAhTCfv

pic.twitter.com/LgHzEWIpw9

pic.twitter.com/rmnPSTDSCr

pic.twitter.com/AnzXJm8y7j

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/4733845-burlington-under-water/

If you add up all the anomalies from November 2013 to July 2014, you get -36.8F according to the official NWS Milwaukee stats in that nine month period.  Dividing the nine months, it shows that through the period, the average anomaly was more than four degrees below average.  If we can take this trend through the next three months, it will be pretty impressive considering we haven't been able to muster a below average temperature year period recently.  Steering this toward the topic, I think August has a good shot of being yet another below average month.  It may be much closer than recent months to average if we don't get as many cool shots as July.

Cloud have hung on all day across eastern Iowa, keeping the temp down in the low 70s through 2pm.  We may be lucky to reach 70 the next two days with rain moving in.  I'm still not sure how much rain I'll get.  There may be a sharp northern edge of the heavy rain and I should be just inside or just outside of it.  An inch would be nice.

Tonight

nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 59 °F

Wednesday

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

High: 76 °F

Wednesday
Night

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 58 °F

Thursday

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

High: 75 °F

Thursday
Night

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 61 °F

Friday

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

Friday
Night

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 61 °F

Saturday

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

Saturday
Night

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 62 °F

Best early August climo.

48 this morning but some inland areas were down a little lower. doesn't get any better than this for late Summer. Looking like August will definitely be the warmest month of this Summer.

attachicon.gifclimo.jpg

I might head out to the dunes on Monday, then continue on to the UP after that. I'm hoping for some cool whether up that way, I'm going to be tenting it... Can't sleep in +70F temps.

I might head out to the dunes on Monday, then continue on to the UP after that. I'm hoping for some cool whether up that way, I'm going to be tenting it... Can't sleep in +70F temps.

40's, 50's have been the rule this Summer as night lows...rarely have had any 60's.  I'm heading to camp at Muskallonge  st park in the UP towards the end of the month as school gets closer to starting and the Summer tourist begin to thin.

Archived