Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have an outside shot at  90*F today (850mb temps of 17*C and 925mb temps starting off at 23*C).

Probably will end up just short due to cloud debris, although the 12z 4km NAM shows highs around 89*F to 90*F, while the latest RAP also shows highs around 90*F.

Current 80*F at DET and 77*F at DTW with some sun, but the cloud debris is immediately upstream...

We have an outside shot at  90*F today (850mb temps of 17*C and 925mb temps starting off at 23*C).

Probably will end up just short due to cloud debris, although the 12z 4km NAM shows highs around 89*F to 90*F, while the latest RAP also shows highs around 90*F.

Current 80*F at DET and 77*F at DTW with some sun, but the cloud debris is immediately upstream...

Now it's currently 84*F at DET and 83*F at DTW.

Some mid-level clouds (altostratus) have since moved in...

Spent most of the time in the Madison area today. Bit showery at times and a little humid, but not a bad day at all.

High 81° at home.

Captured the back edge of the thunderstorms to the southeast at the end of the day - taken just north of the WI/IL stateline.

post-7389-0-47253500-1409454760_thumb.jp

So overall, Detroit's summer was exactly 1*F below normal at 70.6*F. This was, at least partially, thanks to the warm last week of August we had, which more or less helped to significantly reverse the negative departures for this month.

Nothing hardly record-breaking, but it does break the string of average/above average summers we've had recently...

So overall, Detroit's summer was exactly 1*F below normal at 70.6*F. This was, at least partially, thanks to the warm last week of August we had, which more or less helped to significantly reverse the negative departures for this month.

Nothing hardly record-breaking, but it does break the string of average/above average summers we've had recently...

I think what made the summer feel so cool, was that the coldest parts were during the part of summer that is usually the hottest. The beginning and end were the warmest, with the middle being the coolest. 

Hottest is all relative though, my city topped out at 87F for the summer, same as Lansing... My most similar and closest climate station.

I think what made the summer feel so cool, was that the coldest parts were during the part of summer that is usually the hottest. The beginning and end were the warmest, with the middle being the coolest. 

Hottest is all relative though, my city topped out at 87F for the summer, same as Lansing... My most similar and closest climate station.

That is exactly what made the summer cool.

*In terms of mean temp, as powerball said, only 1 degree below normal, and not even close to a top 20 coldest summer ranking (the last summer to accomplish this was 2004 at 19th coldest, and 2009 just missed).

*we only had 3 days of 90F which means (barring any in September) only 11 years on record had LESS days of 90F than 2014, and another 10 years also had 3...so in 141 years of record, 119 had more days of 90s.

*Of the mere 3 days that hit 90, two of them had heat indexes LOWER than the air temperature. Only Aug 26th, when DTW eeked out an intra-hour 90, was there a lot of humidity, which caused the heat index to peak at the summers highest HI of 96 (previously, I believe the highest heat index all summer was 92F).

*July is the heart of summer, and July was the 6th coldest on record at Detroit, not to mention it had among the least 80 degree days for any July on record, and had numerous Fall-like evenings.

*The heat misers are itchy - this is 2 consecutive summers with below normal heat. The torrid summers of 2010-2012 are a distant memory to the short-term memory, like-to-complain-about-the-weather public.

August finished with 6.96" of rain imby.

That's true.

But you could say the same for a winter like 2009-2010. It was relatively snowless before and after the record-breaking snowfall in February, and it probably gave the feeling that said winter was actually less impressive than what it showed on paper...

That's true.

But you could say the same for a winter like 2009-2010. It was relatively snowless before and after the record-breaking snowfall in February, and it probably gave the feeling that said winter was actually less impressive than what it showed on paper...

I agree to a point. That winter seemed like it ended quickly. December had lots of snow falling but only light accumulations, January had snow on the ground most of the time but it was boring, then February came and we had snowstorm after snowstorm, and then March saw nothing (but melting snowpack lol). It didnt help that it was surrounded by 2007-08, 2008-09, and 2010-11 either.

Usually when something extreme happens (one way or another), one month can define a winter or summer to some, regardless of what the final outcome on paper is. A few examples...winter 2000-01....December saw record cold and snow...then Jan-Feb-Mar were cold, dry, and BORING. The snowpack took til mid-Feb to melt, but it was as boring as it comes. In fact, I challenge anyone to find a MORE boring stretch of winter than Jan-Mar 2001 in Detroit. Yet all we heard about was what a harsh winter it was because of the impact of December. The other side of the coin....winter 2005-06. January was so warm and despite a few snowfalls we had bare ground like 90% of the time that month. Feb saw some snow and cold but it was fleeting. All we heard about was what a mild winter it was. The fact that over 2 feet of snow fell from Thanksgiving to Christmas got lost in the shuffle of a warm January.

Archived